Naturals who Baggie while in Braids/Twists

Sweet_Ambrosia

Do you experience more shrinkage when you baggie your hair when it’s braided/twisted ?

I’ve been baggying my twists for the last 2 weeks or so and I notice after I take off my baggie (plastic cap) the next day my twists have shrunken up a good 2-3 inches maybe more. I know shrinkage is just one aspect of having natural hair, but I like when my twists have a bit of hang time. I’ve even tried pinning my twists down at night, but it still shrinks a good deal when I baggie them up. I love the baggie method and I love twists, I’m kind of torn on what I should do. Should I ditch the baggie method and just moisturize my hair as usual when it’s twisted up, or should I continue to implement the baggie method while my hair is twisted up and just deal with shrunken twists???

Any advice/input is appreciated!
~SA

baby42

Do you experience more shrinkage when you baggie your hair when it’s braided/twisted ?

I’ve been baggying my twists for the last 2 weeks or so and I notice after I take off my baggie (plastic cap) the next day my twists have shrunken up a good 2-3 inches maybe more. I know shrinkage is just one aspect of having natural hair, but I like when my twists have a bit of hang time. I’ve even tried pinning my twists down at night, but it still shrinks a good deal when I baggie them up. I love the baggie method and I love twists, I’m kind of torn on what I should do. Should I ditch the baggie method and just moisturize my hair as usual when it’s twisted up, or should I continue to implement the baggie method while my hair is twisted up and just deal with shrunken twists???

Any advice/input is appreciated!
~SA
mys is the same but afther they dry i spray them a litte and they fall back down:yep:no more shrunken hair hey i works for me and they stay like that all day. but i have to spray them every day.oh i use a little dove moisture or a little H2O

Last edited:

CurliDiva

I think the shrinkage is due to your hair being wet for a long period of time.

Try removing the baggie and letting your twists dry while stretching them - maybe by wrapping until they airdry.

:drunk: Good luck, CD

Nonie

I'd deal with the shrinkage. That's what I did. In fact, I didn't like when my twists were curling or wavy unless I specifically did a braid out on them, so I always used to dunk them in ACV solution and let them drip dry so they'd hang down with no bends. So yes, wearing them shrunken is just how I rolled.

I think it's more exciting, after learning to live with and love shrinkage, to one day redo a twist on dry hair and be pleasantly surprised by the progress you have made. I think letting your hair just stay in its resting position might also be "healthier" for it, as stretching it all the time does exert some strain, albeit minimal, and that has got to be stressful, even if a bit. Think less manipulation, more retention.

ETA: Here is a pic showing the difference between shrunken twist after drip-drying (front) and redone twists in the back. Notice difference in length but also how straight the drip-dried twists are, while the ones redone on dry hair just do their own thing:

Last edited:

hopeful

I started focusing on the ends vs. the entire twist, that way you don't get as much shrinkage, plus I get tired of wet hair. I found that most of my hair is just fine when it's twisted, that is enough protection, but the ends still need a little extra moisture and/or oil.

meaganita

To avoid baggy shrinkage, I just use my cream moisturizer by Cathy Howse. I'll only apply it to the last 4 inches of my hair (the ends), seal with Red Palm Butter or something else, and bag it up. The only time I get shrinkage with this method is if I do a whole head baggy, which is because of the sweat. But even then, my braids don't shrink, just the roots.

Here's the website for Cathy's moisturizer: http://www.ultrablackhair.com/ProductOrdering.html
HTH

Sweet_Ambrosia

Thanks everyone!
I tried baggying just the ends of my twists instead of baggying all of my hair, and the end result is LESS shrinkage. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that beforehand! (LoL) Thanks again! :D