Naturals who press

momi

Is it possible to get a nice silky look without using the pressing comb?
I just finished my hair after a rollerset and flat ironed with maxi glide... it is nice and straight, but it does not have that nice sheen to it like a press?

Tips anyone?

Used: Kenra serum while wet & salon finish wrapping lotion & a bit of coconut oil while using the MG.

I really don't have a clue to be honest. I know the last time that I got my hair pressed, last year, she used mizani products, and my hair looked and felt like a perm. It was shiny and swingy. I just look weird w/ my hair that way, so I washed it out a few days later. Good luck to you though

so1913 has a press in her album that she did with a flat iron and she is natural.
it came out really pretty!

I use a serum like Paul Mitchell's Silky Straight. It also matters that you blow dry your hair as straight as possible without overdrying. Try to get those roots straight.

But for a silky look a serum usually does the trick for me. I'm a natural 4a with shoulder length hair.

I also use the maxiglide set on 6 for one pass, then the FHI set on 370 for one pass. I don't use any product at all after rinsing the deep conditioner. This helps with the swing factor. Sometimes I spray it with Mizani shyne when I'm done because I like the way it smells and it makes my hair shiny.

I had a flat iron done today at Too Groovy Salon in Atlanta - I cannot believe how silky and shiny my hair is. She used a FHI iron...

try lustra silk straight effects i am natural i spray that on sit under the hooded dry then maxiglide and my girlfriend says it looks like i got a perm

it took me about 9 months to feel comfortable to do my first blow out as a natural last week. at that, i used john frieda's wind down cream so that i could blow dry it at at a cooler temperature!

im too nervous to press it. do you guys have issues with your hair coiling back up?

I never blow dry my hair. I don't even own a blow dryer.

When I want to flat iron I wash and condition my hair with Redken's Smooth Down line. I use a little bit of the Butter Treat as my leave in and seal it with a very small amount (much less than I would noramlly use) avocado butter, and then put my hair into two banded ponytails. I let my hair air dry, it usually takes a good day to dry completely.

The next day when my hair is dry I comb it out and apply Redken Heat Glide down the length. I flat iron in tiny sections, about half an inch at a time. It takes forever. :ohwell:

When my hair is done I apply a little more Heat Glide to the ends. It comes out silky and swinging, but it's so much work to flat iron properly that I rarely do it.

kinchen said:
try lustra silk straight effects i am natural i spray that on sit under the hooded dry then maxiglide and my girlfriend says it looks like i got a perm

Beautiful pics.

TropicalRose said:
it took me about 9 months to feel comfortable to do my first blow out as a natural last week. at that, i used john frieda's wind down cream so that i could blow dry it at at a cooler temperature!

im too nervous to press it. do you guys have issues with your hair coiling back up?

i did - the first time... but after repeated CW it was restored to its normally kinky state, but i have decided to just wear my hair pretty much straight.

Back