Naturals Who Straighten Their Hair

Qurlyqt

I need to straighten my hair this weekend and I'm having difficulty finding a heat protectant. In the past, I used one called D'Zire, recommended by a stylist. Guess I used too much because my hair was flat. I've also used Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat (I think that's the name) but it makes my hair greasy and completely lacking movement. My sister suggested Infusium Heat Activated Leave In but I learned today that it has been discontinued.

What are you using? Does your hair have body? Pics would be great? Oh yes, has anyone tried Nexxus Heat Protexx?

caligirl

I'm going to flat iron my hair this weekend with Salerm 21. They use this leave in at most of the dominican salons. I figure it must be a good heat protectant because those blowdryers are smoking hot and the women's hair always looks so healthy.

Syrah

I use KMS' Flat Our Heat Protectant Spray and then after I'm done, follow it up with KMS' Anti Humidity Seal which helps the hair from frizzing should you be caught in the rain, or dancing.

Qurlyqt

Hey ladies, thanks for responding!

Caligirl - Salerm 21 sounds interesting. Please post if if you have good results. I've only seen pics of those who have gone to Dominican salons and the results turn out good!

Naturaline - I love your pics! I was hoping there was a third one of you swinging your hair bc it looks soooo soft! What is the Vidal round brush all about? Please share! Is it used on wet or dry hair?

MsNadi - Thanks for the info. I had never heard of that product from KMS. I used their products when I wore my hair relaxed. Do you have any pics of your hair straightened?

naturaline

awww thanx- your twista look luvly!!
i use the vidal sassoon power styling max brush. i was trying to find a picture to show you by cant see one.
it is a round bush that blows heat-out. i use it on damp hair- i like the results because it gives bounce and my hair doesnt get hard like it does when iv used a very hot blow-dryer with comb on it.

testimony777

When I flat iron my hair I just apply more of my leave in (Aloeba by Jessicurl) than usual. I have tired products made specifically for heat styling in the past but they always leave my hair either greasy feeling or dry. I have pics of my straight hair in my album; the link is in my sig.

BTW, your hair is gorgeous:eek:

Qurlyqt

Naturaline - thanks for the compliment. That round brush has got my attention. Off to go try to find a pic...

Testimony - Thank you! It means a lot coming from you bc your hair is absolutely beautiful! I think I sent you a PM last week. So you just condition and don't use a heat protectant? Your straightened hair is gorgeous! Do you blow dry? Then flat iron? Curling Iron/ Rollers?

inthepink

Ion Heat Protectant from Sally's works pretty well. I like it better than the Beyond the Zone kind (which is kinda greasy). I hear the Chi flatiron spray works well, too.

testimony777

ThePrincess725 said:
Naturaline - thanks for the compliment. That round brush has got my attention. Off to go try to find a pic...

Testimony - Thank you! It means a lot coming from you bc your hair is absolutely beautiful! I think I sent you a PM last week. So you just condition and don't use a heat protectant? Your straightened hair is gorgeous! Do you blow dry? Then flat iron? Curling Iron/ Rollers?

Thanks so much Princess!

I do not blow dry. I apply about twice as much leave in as I normally would, put my hair in two braids and let it air dry over night. I flat iron it the next morning with my FHI. I don't get any damage doing it this way, but I only do this about twice a year. I am not sure how it would work if I flat ironed more regularly.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I found that Dudley's Cream Press worked really well with my hair. Too much can be a little greasy, so I had to be careful about the amount I used. I also use Silk Elements heat protectant spray (from Sally's), which is non-oily, but left my hair with a nice shine. HTH!!

pet

I use Ultra Sheen Creme Press (the green one). It always leaves my hair very shiny. Its one of those products that no matter how dirty your hair is, if you put a little bit of this on it, it starts to shine. It's really interesting.

Since I have heard a lot about Salerm 21 on this board, I will try to get me some and use this next time to see how it works. If you want to read the success stories on this product just type in under search 'Salerm 21'. There are a lot of topics on it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Currently I'm using Tresseme w/ a little Fantasia IC heat protectant serum on the ends for extra protection. I like the Tresseme because it is non oily.

Qurlyqt

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far! Would love to hear more and see pics of how your hair turned out.

Hairlove - I tried the CHI spray stuff and it was a complete disaster! It says to use it on dry hair but when I applied it to my dry hair, it drew right up like I had just stepped into the shower with freshly pressed hair. Then when I put my CHI flat iron on it, it sizzled, dried the section out terribly and looked like a fake attempt to press carpet! I only did ONE section, immediately stopped, washed my curls back in, and headed straight back to the salon to return the CHI spray stuff. They had the audacity to suggest another CHI product but I said, "No thank you. I'll just take my refund."

Qurlyqt

Pokahontas - what an appropriate name! Your hair is long and pretty! Thanks for sharing your pics. Did you use the Tresseme in your Maxiglide pics?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
ThePrincess725 said:
Pokahontas - what an appropriate name! Your hair is long and pretty! Thanks for sharing your pics. Did you use the Tresseme in your Maxiglide pics?
Thanks. I used the Tresseme in some of the Maxiglide pics (the last ten pics where I have the light pink shirt on, lol). In the others I used Beyond the Zone.

Qurlyqt

Thanks Pokahontas! I went back to your album to check it out. Great results! I love your hair, especially your "Bush" photos!

Ntrlmystik

If I have time, I just wash, conditoin, plait and let my hair airdry. Then in the morning I flat iron small peicies at a time w/ BBD flat iron lotion and a little bit of Wild Growth Oil(Not too much because it weighs the hair down). I sometimes blowdry depending on my time constraints.When I do blow dry I use heat protectant serum from Fantasia.

http://public.fotki.com/ntrlmystik/hairstyles/straight_hair/

Last edited:

mermaid

I was using a mixture of Proclaim oil and a rinse out conditioner and that worked very nicely but I recently tried ThermaSilk straight and smooth or whatever it's called and it worked very well.
It took me from this-

To this-

Qurlyqt

Re: Naturals Who Straighten - Update with PIC

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I purchased salerm 21 (caligirl's idea), washed my hair, put the salerm in, put coconut oil on the ends, braided my hair and let it airdry overnight (ideas from Testimony and Ntrlmystik). The next morning, I flat ironed my hair, put some plastic rollers in for a couple of hours and it turned out great! It had MUCH body and held up :eek:kay" for family pictures this past weekend! Attached is a pic, sorry about the quality but it's a proof.

My only problem was that the press didn't last throughout the day (as you can see in the pic, it was already starting to frizz). Next time, I'll have to be sure to find something that protects against humidity as suggested by Naturaline (frizz ease) and MsNadi (KMS Anti Humidity Seal).

Again, I appreciate ALL of you who replied and made suggestions. You ladies are SO helpful!

Attachments

• May - Press1.jpg
    May - Press1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 48

sweetascocoa

mermaid said:
I was using a mixture of Proclaim oil and a rinse out conditioner and that worked very nicely but I recently tried ThermaSilk straight and smooth or whatever it's called and it worked very well.
It took me from this-

To this-
is the thermasilk a conditioner, leave in or serum?

inthepink

ThePrincess - You might try using a heavier cream on your hair to straighten - that always seems to get my hair super straight and it lasts. What worked for me in the past was CD Hair Butter on the roots and Pink Lotion on the ends. I had a thread here a couple of months ago on how to get a silky press that lasts. If I find the info, I'll PM you.

Qurlyqt

Thank you Naturaline!

Hairlove - yes your press came out straighter than a perm! How are you maintaining the press? Do you wrap it nightly? About that hair butter - is it yellow? If so, I think I tried it on my natural hair a couple of years ago but never thought to use it for a press.