Naturals who Texlaxed/Relaxed--More Breakage?

Naturals who have relaxed or texlaxed:

• Do you have more breakage after relaxing?

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • less breakage after relaxing?

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • no differnece?

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

africa

Hi Ladies:wave:.

I am wondering if people who have been natural then relaxed/texlaxed find they have more or less breakage after relaxing.

If you have noticed a change, what do you think caused the change?...just curious.

TIA

:)

RecipeBABY

im texlaxed with miss jessies and i haven't noticed any difference in breakage.. but then again yes i have.. there is less besides the uncontrolled breakage..other then that i love texlaxed because my 4a/b hair is more managable and its still thick and bushy but it lays down like nothing i've seen b4 when i wash it and co wash.

The key is to use reconstructors on the hair to make the strands stronger after the hair has been tex or relaxed.. and moisture, leave ins.. to be honest i dnt consider myself texlaxed although i am because my hair is still THICK and BUSHY but like i said when it comes to styling, gels, and water it looks like i got that pretty thick wavy hair. and i love it.. my buns are full but my hair is slicked down and .. OMG I LOVE BEING TEXLAXED. this is the best way to go if you a 4a/b and your tired of the hair drama.. just know you have to take care of the hair to make it healthy and keep it healthy..:drunk:

Neith

Honestly I see more breakage.

HOWEVER, my hair is healthy and the amount of breakage I get (under 10 hairs a day) is not a problem.

My texlaxed hair is definitely weaker than my natural hair is.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am not counting this relaxed journey because my stylist over processed this relaxer, but I can tell you my natural hair was more healthy and shed less. I was just overwhelmed with it because I felt ugly with it. I did not know how to take care of my natural hair at the time.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I used to have handfulls of hair when I detangled as a natural. That was being gentle and detangling in sections.

I have less breakage texlaxed.

NikStarrr

I've been texlaxed and natural (currently)--and even though I did luv my texlaxed hair, I definitely had more breakage when it was texlaxed.

RecipeBABY

from what i see so far.. some ladies have more breakage with there tex while others like myself have less.. i feel that its about how you take care of it. i know when some ladies get there hair relaxed pr texlaxed they dont treat it with care.. they act like they got white girl hair. meaning, putting it in messy buns, forget to tie it up, keep there hands in it.. but hey different strokes for different folks..

MCMLXXII

Hi: Last July, I went to Miss Jessie's in DC for a silkner and was immediately remorseful. My hair did not thrive with this application. You'll notice from my signature that I recently BC'd again and it was solely to remove all of the silkner from my hair.

I completely understand why we texlax our hair. It's often thick and hard to manage but it's not an option for me. I had lots of shedding and breakage. My hair is in a much better place without the chems.

I was glad to meet Miko though...her skin is beautiful!

2inspireU

I have breakage after doing my 2nd texturizer with a relaxer(Silk Elements Mild). I'm sure it is all chemical because my hair feels weaker. My hair doesn't look how I want it to, but I'm done trying to "fix" it. I'm between APL and BSL and I refuse to have my hair break off to SL over some BS. Therefore, right now I am only concerned with stoping this breakage along with getting my hair stronger.

I don't regret texlaxing my hair because the amount of hair I lost when I was natural was scary, and what was even scarier was that I thought it was normal for natural hair to come out like that.

africa

Sorry to hear about your experience MCM. There are a couple of Ms Jessie's horror stories on here.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
yes i had way more breakage. most of it was "uncontrolled" ie when i touch it it breaks. it wasnt because of agressive styling/detangling. the thin was i didnt know how to get 2nd day hair. and how to sleep with a fro without getting it tangled. so far im having no problems w/ my new short cut.

africa

yes i had way more breakage. most of it was "uncontrolled" ie when i touch it it breaks. it wasnt because of agressive styling/detangling. the thin was i didnt know how to get 2nd day hair. and how to sleep with a fro without getting it tangled. so far im having no problems w/ my new short cut.

Hi Napp. Thanks for your answer. Are you saying you get more breakage texlaxed or as a natural?

Neith

from what i see so far.. some ladies have more breakage with there tex while others like myself have less.. i feel that its about how you take care of it. i know when some ladies get there hair relaxed pr texlaxed they dont treat it with care.. they act like they got white girl hair. meaning, putting it in messy buns, forget to tie it up, keep there hands in it.. but hey different strokes for different folks..

I don't see how you jumped to that conclusion :huh:

This is also the wrong place to think that just anyone mistreats their hair :lol:

People's hair is different. It's not ONLY the level of care given, we are all individuals with different body chemistries. If just plain conditioners work vastly differently on different heads, why would relaxers not be the same? Everyone doesn't have your hair or hair that is even similar to yours. Even if the texture is similar, two heads of hair can be completely different.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Hi Napp. Thanks for your answer. Are you saying you get more breakage texlaxed or as a natural?

yes. chemicals just dont work with my hair.:nono:

i tried to treat it the same way as my natural hair and it broke off like crazy. i dont know what went wrong w/ the process but it made my hair extremely dry,hard to comb and i got that perm brown color too.:ohwell: and no i didnt do anything "wrong"

LOL at the "white girl hair" comment

africa

yes. chemicals just dont work with my hair.:nono:

i tried to treat it the same way as my natural hair and it broke off like crazy. i dont know what went wrong w/ the process but it made my hair extremely dry,hard to comb and i got that perm brown color too.:ohwell: and no i didnt do anything "wrong"

LOL at the "white girl hair" comment

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sorry the chemicals didn't work out for your hair :(.

I guess it really is an individual thing...