Naturals who wear weaves. Help!

QueenT

My hair is natural. When straightened it is BSL. I normally flat iron my hair and pin it up. I want an easy get up and go style. Therefore,I'm considering getting a wet and wavy weave sew -in. I've never done this before. If I don't lose my nerve, I'm scheduled to have the weave done next Saturday.

Naturals that wear weaves, I have the following questions:

1. How do you take care of your real hair when wearing the weave?
2. What wet and wavy weave brand would you recommend?
3. How long does the style last?
4. Do you think natural hair can withstand sew ins better than permed hair?
5. What products do you put on the wet and wavy weave to make it look nice?'

I know I've asked a lot of questions. Please help if you can.

Platinum

Hi there. I can't help you with your questions but you may want to PM Ediese. She's natural and wears alot of beautiful weaves.

angenoir

Maybe you should also consider kinky curly and kinky straight. They may be easier to blend with your natural hair. Search for the threads started by Ediese

Rain20

If you get your hair done this weekend, you may not have time to order hair online. So you may have to use BSS hair. Wet and wavy hair is harder to find but you may find something like french refined or Spanish wavy for a similar effect. Consider Bohyme french refined, or the Goddess brand. Outre Remy hair has been used with success although I have never used it. I recently tried Milky Way's Indian hair brazilian wave for a wig and it seems nice but I only wear the wig on the weekends so I dont know about daily wear. Also price plays a role for some. Those are the more expensive BSS brands but should behave well. Try to stay away from Milky Way regular brands, one wash and that hair is usually tangled. I didnt like Saga or Mona hair either. If you want to order online for hair, then you may need to reschedule your appt. Jamaicalovely has a nice fotki and has tried the Goddess brand. If you are in Atlanta there is a BSS that sells indian Remi hair out near Langford Pkwy but I cant remember the name. HTH.

ETA: Oops sorry just noticed you are in Florida.

Last edited:

pureebony

crazy as it seems the ladies at blackhairmedia have threads on turning straight hair into kinky hair... via rollers and boiling- its amazing what they do there. hth xx

PPGbubbles

As a natural I would condisider getting a curly or kinky curly weave to blend w/o using heat on the leave out hair.... but I have done it all...straight and the way I care for my hair under the weave is still the same:

1. How do you take care of your real hair when wearing the weave?
I wash bi weekly using diluted shampoo and I DC when I wash. I use the same condish and shampoo as I would with my natural hair.

2. What wet and wavy weave brand would you recommend?

lower end kinky curly- model model indi afro curl. If you have money- bohyme brazilan (kinky/curly) or for a looser curl Hales curls "miami relaxed"

3. How long does the style last?
An install can last 6-8 weeks depending on your growth rate and your hairs tendency to matt up. Also if you buy quality hair you can rock the same style for multiple installs

4. Do you think natural hair can withstand sew ins better than permed hair?
I personally think natural hair would be easier because you do not have to worry about babying the hair at the line of demarcation. Your "new growth" is simply your hair type

5. What products do you put on the wet and wavy weave to make it look nice?'
John Frieda daily leave in keeps the hair soft and refreshs the curl daily without tons of build up and its like $3 bucks. I also use Tressumme smooth and silky on the hair. it provides great slip when detangling curls. My weave always loved it and the scent is nice, and its like $3 bucks as well

Also,do realize that you do need a little prep time with any type of curly weave. Some ladies get discouraged because they want to wake up and go. but just like any type of natural curl, the weave will need a little daily attention

PPGbubbles

crazy as it seems the ladies at blackhairmedia have threads on turning straight hair into kinky hair... via rollers and boiling- its amazing what they do there. hth xx

I get tons of tips 4rm them... the surely know how to work a weave....