Naturals: Why Didn't You Tell Me????

Robin41

Why didn't ya'll tell me how fabulous my hair would look after chopping off my relaxed ends??? I've been transitioning since February '06, about a year and three months, and I reached a point where I could do NOTHING with my hair. It seemed like I was getting the worst part of both worlds, no curls from the natural part and the relaxed ends were just hanging there looking crazy.

Well, I went to a natural stylist here in Phoenix (go figure) on Saturday and she cut off what remained of my relaxed ends, which turned out to be only about an inch to an inch and a half of hair, and when I looked in the mirror, I could not believe the curls and coils that just popped out of nowhere! This is exactly the look I was going for when I decided to become natural and I swear, I fell in love with my hair all over again! I have to take pics when I get home today because the difference in my hair is so unbelievable, you have got to see it.

I really thought I didn't want to give up the extra length so I was hanging on to those ends for dear life. I finally had to realize that I'd be trading straggly, long ends for short but healthy, curly, beautiful hair. And it grows back anyway.

And in all fairness, a couple of ya'll did tell me that the real fun of natural hair happens after the chop, namely so1913 and countrygal that I can recall. And I'm passing the info on to any other transitioners: If you're thinking of chopping but you're afraid to give up the length, let me tell you, you're gonna have so much fun with your new texture, you won't even miss the length. I LOVE my new hair! You know how when you know you look good, you stop and peek in every mirror and just smile? That's me now.

This is the happiest I've been with my hair since joining this board and I just wanted to share this with ya'll. Yay!

nikkivale

Congrats on having full natural hair! Im transitioning and have been natural before and I tell you, when those relaxed ends are gone your hair seems to feel so much better. I can't wait till I get there

Robin41

You really do look and feel so much better when you're all one texture. And it's so easy to style my hair now. My routine for the summer will be a simple wash and go and the best part is I don't need nearly as many products to make my hair coil as I did when transitioning. I use scrunch Wet & Wavy curl activator gel and BTZ Noodhead into wet hair right in the shower and let it air dry. I like to smooth down the front with BTZ Stiff Head and wear a scarf or headband in the front and I'm out the door in no time.

love2alicia

You look beautiful, enjoy it:) !

Robin41

love2alicia said:
You look beautiful, enjoy it:) !
Uh, uh. Thanks, but that's a photo taken while I was transitioning. But I'll take my compliments where I can get them so bless you!

Robin41

so1913 said:
Congrats miss lady!!!!!

Thank you. Still hanging onto your coattails, though, and aiming for your length someday. Thanks for providing so much inspiration (and letting me stalk your album)!

Cichelle

Congrats, Robin! I was hanging onto my relaxed ends for a long while too. It's a big step to chop and I'm glad you are pleased with the results. Enjoy you natural hair and watch it grow...:)

Ennyaa

Chiming in to add my congratulations on top of all the rest. I remember that rush of happiness and freedom when I finally mustered the courage to chop off those last bit of straight ends. :grin: It truly does make you fall in love with your hair again. Kind of like letting go of bad memories.

Blossssom

Congratulations, Robin. I am SERIOUSLY considering going natural myself.

It makes no sense to relax 3-4 times a year and trying to do a wash n' go with hair that's half natural/relaxed just looks ridiculous.

Cheleigh

Congratulations! I liked my long hair, but I like my natural hair a lot more. Trust me, once your natural hair starts getting longer, you'll love it, but you'll miss the easy carefree days of having short natural hair too (or at least I do) :)