Naturals with no knots/matting/dreading...

Hair type: 4a
Hair length: SL :wallbash: :rolleyes:
How often do you wash? once a week
How often do you clarify? when needed
How often do you detangle? once a week
How often do you straighten? don't
How often do you cowash? every 3 or 4 days
How often do you wash n go? not anymore
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? puff, finger coils, twists
What is your moisturizing regimen? s-curl or long aid activator gel seal with JBCO

Hair type: Don't Know
Hair length:APL in back, below shoulders on side and front
How often do you wash? Every 4 days
How often do you clarify? Twice Monthly
How often do you detangle? Every time I shampoo and daily regardless of hair style
How often do you straighten? I rollerset a lot. Will flat iron roots if hair doesn't try properly.
How often do you cowash? never
How often do you wash n go? alternate between wash and go and rollersetting
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? see above
What is your moisturizing regimen? use mild shampoo, Giovanni reconstructor(really great) for detangling followed by AO Honeysuckle conditioner. Giovanni Direct Leave-In. If rollersetting, after rollers are removed I use Mizani H20 Nightime and seal with castor oil/coconut oil mixture.

Last edited:
Hair type: 3b/3c/4a
Hair length: err..midback?
How often do you wash? once a week
How often do you clarify? once a week, with acv
How often do you detangle? once a week, when i wash
How often do you straighten? once or twice a year, to get a trim
How often do you cowash? eh, maybe once a week in the summer, but rarely
How often do you wash n go? BARELY!
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? twists!
What is your moisturizing regimen? well i moisturize when i wash.

okay, let me say the way i keep tangles at bay is to detangle, wash, detangle, condition, detangle...i keep running the comb through my hair at differents points of washing. plus, i keep my hair in twists and comb each section before twisting so there are no tangles. once it dries that way, i can take the twists out and wear my hair loose for a week and i won't get any tangles, and im very tangle prone. now if it were a wash and go...puhlease! id be mad as hell

Hair type:4A/4B
Hair length: neck length unstretched/ shoulder length stretched
How often do you wash? At least twice a month
How often do you clarify? Everytime I was with baking soda
How often do you detangle? i use my finger when I cowash and I detangle with a comb followed by a denman on wash days.
How often do you straighten? I've only been fully natural since May and I attempted to straighten Saturday, I washed it out immediately after
How often do you cowash? Depends on how my hair is styled, since I have been wearing twist and curls I don't cowash. I cowash probably six times a month now, but during the summer every other day.
How often do you wash n go? Since I'm getting ready for fall and winter I'm practicing other styles, but during the summer every other day.
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Puff, W n Gs, twists, twistouts, flexirod sets.
What is your moisturizing regimen? I put water in my hair along with Hawaiian Silky activator or Fantasia IC.

Hair type: 3c/4a
Hair length: Mid-back
How often do you wash? Every 2 weeks
How often do you clarify? Every 2 weeks
How often do you detangle? Whenever I co-wash (3 times a week)
How often do you straighten? 4 times a year
How often do you cowash? 3 times a week
How often do you wash n go? Rarely now
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Buns or pinned up
What is your moisturizing regimen? Vatika oil, avocado butter and curls milkshake or souffle

I use to get knots really bad to the point where I was ready to cut it all off again until I started co-washing my hair every other day and detangling with my denman brush, my savior.

This is an excellent thread, thank you ladies for all of your helpful hints... can't wait to create/learn some of my own to share!

Hair type:3b.3c.
Hair length:between ear length and CBL
How often do you wash? every two weeks
How often do you clarify? once since the bc...wasnt feelin it
How often do you detangle?every 3 days
How often do you straighten? once a month...probably more often now its getting cold outside
How often do you cowash? daily when curly
How often do you wash n go? daily when curly
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? wash n go, puff, pin hair back
What is your moisturizing regimen? i dc once a week, every so often ill use V05 as a leave in but i usually wear my hair naked

btw ur hair is gorgeous!

I don't think so. What I meant was if I, a 4B head, were to let my hair air-dry like that, because of how small those tubes are, I swear I think they'd fuse up into locs. :lachen: So that when I would wet it again to try to comb it, it'd be a lost case. :nono:

The day I did this experiment, I was so skurred, that I even said a prayer that it'd go well, coz I don't think I've ever let my hair dry w/o at least combing through while it's wet or separating strands with fingers.

This was the WNG I did in 2006 :look: (Bet you didn't know that was a WNG, huh? :lachen: ). You better believe I combed it out when it was wet. No way was I gonna just shake n' go like I think 4As can.

ETA: Thank you for your kind compliment on my hair. So is your. :yep:

See, that's the magic of 4As. You could do a WNG and then wet it and it'd be easy to comb through. I think I'd have to stretch the strands out to get a comb to glide through without instead making the hair above the comb act like a compressed spring and totally lock the comb in. Maybe one day when I'm feeling very brave I'll try an inch square WNG fringe and then see how long it takes me to get my hair back to normal later that day. :scratchch

I am a 4a and I stopped doing wash n go's because my hair was always tangled and stuck together when I would try to comb it out even if I rewet it. I lost a lot of hair wearing frequent wash n gos

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions. I want to see if there's a common denominator.

Hair type:
Hair length:
How often do you wash?
How often do you clarify?
How often do you detangle?
How often do you straighten?
How often do you cowash?
How often do you wash n go?
What styles do you wear on a regular basis?
What is your moisturizing regimen?

TIA!

Let me put a disclaimer out there first. If I am not proactive, my hair will do all of the aformentioned.

Hair type: 4A
Hair length: Brastap in back/ just below armpit in front
How often do you wash? With shampoo, once a week
How often do you clarify? Almost never
How often do you detangle? Once a week
How often do you straighten? Every 3-4 months
How often do you cowash? Once a week
How often do you wash n go? Once a week if ever
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? - Twist or braid or knot out
What is your moisturizing regimen? - Moisturize twice a day with water-based and oils.

Hair type: 3b/3a
Hair length: natural-neck length- straight collar bone
How often do you wash? co-wash every other day
How often do you clarify? in the summer 1xmth, now not 2 often
How often do you detangle? every 3-4 days
How often do you straighten? maybe once a mth
How often do you cowash? every other day
How often do you wash n go? every time i co-wash but im about 2 start twist outs
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? wash and go's
What is your moisturizing regimen? moisturize at cowash or and in the AM

** if I don't detangle and wash every other day- my hair will be a hot mess. for sho!

*****YEAH I MUST AGREE YOUR HAIR IS 2 CUTE 4 WORDS!

Hair type: mostly 4a with some 4b
Hair length: SL stretched
How often do you wash? usually once a week
How often do you clarify? maybe once a month, but if I have been putting a lot of products in it I will do it more often
How often do you detangle? once a week
How often do you straighten? rarely, but only because im in bootcamp this year
How often do you cowash? average about once a week
How often do you wash n go? i was doing it once to twice per week but since its getting colder, i've started to phase it out What styles do you wear on a regular basis? puffs or braids/sew-ins
What is your moisturizing regimen? I use Biolage Ultra-hydrating balm as a DC, I like it best as a pre-poo with heat unless im doing a protein treatment then I do it after that. I use Hello Hydrations Shampoo+Conditioner when I do a regular shampoo and then detangle with None of your Frizzness (HH) conditioner after putting in Almond Oil if im doing an oil rinse for serious detangling.

ETA: One time I did have knots and it was after wearing an afro for a few days and trying to fluff it out some more. I think my shed hair was getting caught in the fro and it tangled with itself. I was so shocked, I was like 'so that's what everyone is talking about', lol but at the time i wasnt laughing :nono: BTW your hair is beautiful and growing like weeds!

Last edited:
As far as moisture goes between washings, I have recently fallen back in love with Shea Butter, Ive created a mix with aloe vera juice ,castor oil , and glycerin that my hair loves.

Hair type:
3c/4a

Hair length:
Past BSL

How often do you wash?
1-3 times a week--More in the summer/spring, less in the fall/winter and I finger comb in between those wash days

How often do you clarify?
Once a month

How often do you detangle?
Whenever I wash my hair

How often do you straighten?
Rarely--Once or twice a year at the very least

How often do you cowash?
See answer 3.

How often do you wash n go?
Not too often--I don't avoid wearing w-n-g's completely though

What styles do you wear on a regular basis?
Buns, French Rolls, 2 Strand Twists and lately a Banded Ponytail w/braided bangs. At night depending on the style I’m wearing, I braid or twist my hair in large braids/twists to prevent any tangles/knots.

What is your moisturizing regimen?
CO-Wash 1-3 times a week, Moisturize every day or every other day w/my moisture mix, Deep Condition bi-weekly w/ a moisturizing/protein deep conditioner.

* Just to add: I believe that knots and tangles are avoidable when it comes to natural hair, they’re not inevitable. I don’t believe hair type or hair texture plays a role, I do believe the way you handle and take care of your hair on a daily basis definitely plays a role IMO.

Back