Naturals with no knots/matting/dreading...

Girl, I don't know what I am, most days. This week, I think I'm a 4a, because last time I washed my hair - no, I hadn't washed it, I just let it get wet, loose (which I almost NEVER do), I was seeing little curlies and boingboings all over the place - which was rather surprising, as I haven't seen them before. So, this week, I'm a 4a. Next week, who knows. :lol:.

Oy, 4B's have them too. I do, and I'm no way 4A. I said it before and I'll say it again. 4B's have pen springs, coils, curlies, boingboings...whatever you wanna call them. We just don't see them because we manipulate our hair so much to keep it from getting tangled up and knotting. And in that way, we alter the real pattern of our hair.

When my 4B hair is CW'd and then braided wet and allowed to dry in a plait, this is the way it looks:
yhairtextureCNappsquestionmark-vi.jpg
Justoutofabraid4Bhair-vi.jpg

When it is CW'd and just finger-combed so that the strands are separate, and left to dry, this is how it looks:
kedHairShowsNaturalCurlPattern-vi.jpg

4BHairCompletelyDryNoProducts-vi.jpg

When it is CW'd after being detangled and not finger-combed when wet to separate strands but just allowed to do its own thing and left to dry, this is how it looks:
4BDefinedCoilsWashnGo-vi.jpg

My theory is 4A hair has bigger coils than 4B hair and is easier to WNG than 4B hair because of the size of the coils--less tangling/knotting. Also 4A definition shows up more than 4B in a WNG again just due to the size of the coils. If you magnify 4B hair the way I did in the pics above of the no manipulation air-dry aka WNG, I'm sure you'd see the same thing you see on 4A with your naked eye, just as above. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The reason I don't WNG is because I would not want to deal with my hair thereafter. I mean, this was just a small section I experimented on, and while the coil definition may look cute up close, from afar the real nightmare it'd be to deal with later becomes clear. The size of 4A coils makes it easy to go from a WNG definition to a fluffed up afro. But pray do tell, how's a 4B person supposed to get a comb through those tubes?

ETA: In all the above pics, the hair has no products on it.

Last edited:
Girl, I don't know what I am, most days. This week, I think I'm a 4a, because last time I washed my hair - no, I hadn't washed it, I just let it get wet, loose (which I almost NEVER do), I was seeing little curlies and boingboings all over the place - which was rather surprising, as I haven't seen them before. So, this week, I'm a 4a. Next week, who knows. :lol:

I notice there is a a lot of cowashing, and the MAJORITY of us detangle at least once a week. I think that might be significant.

I cowash twice a week - once is in twists, once is loose.
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: My but you're funny today!

Hair type:4a
Hair length:neck length wishing for shoulder:grin:
How often do you wash? i wash once a week
How often do you clarify? i never have
How often do you detangle?once a week or run a large tooth comb through my wet hair every other day
How often do you straighten? just once since the 4 months ive been natural
How often do you cowash? every to every other day
How often do you wash n go?every other day
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? twa and puff
What is your moisturizing regimen?i moisturize with shea butter,or aussie moist conditioner with baggie over night. lately i use my redken smooth down leave in, my new staple leave in since last weekend:yep:

I've never experienced matting or dreading, but I have gotten a couple of single strand knots (but not many):

Hair type: My hair is changing after my BC, but I think its mainly 3C/4A. Some of my curls are actually more 3B.

Hair length: Neck length curly, below shoulder when stretched

How often do you wash? Once a week with shampoo

How often do you clarify? Once a week with baking soda and water

How often do you detangle? Finger detangle daily, detangle with comb after every co-wash

How often do you straighten? I haven't straightened yet, but I plan to do so 4 times a year at most

How often do you cowash? Every other day

How often do you wash n go? Did that on the day of my BC, but haven't done it since

What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Puffs, buns

What is your moisturizing regimen? I moisturize daily like it's my job. I use my homemade spritz of half aloe vera juice and half rosewater glycerin and then seal with an oil (either castor or coconut). Even if my hair already feels moisturized, I'll moisturize it again anyway with Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream.

Oy, 4B's have them too. I do, and I'm no way 4A. I said it before and I'll say it again. 4B's have pen springs, coils, curlies, boingboings...whatever you wanna call them. We just don't see them because we manipulate our hair so much to keep it from getting tangled up and knotting. And in that way, we alter the real pattern of our hair.

When my 4B hair is CW'd and then braided wet and allowed to dry in a plait, this is the way it looks:

When it is CW'd and just finger-combed so that the strands are separate, and left to dry, this is how it looks:

When it is CW'd after being detangled and not finger-combed when wet to separate strands but just allowed to do its own thing and left to dry, this is how it looks:

My theory is 4A hair has bigger coils than 4B hair and is easier to WNG than 4B hair because of the size of the coils--less tangling/knotting. Also 4A definition shows up more than 4B in a WNG again just due to the size of the coils. If you magnify 4B hair the way I did in the pics above of the no manipulation air-dry aka WNG, I'm sure you'd see the same thing you see on 4A with your naked eye, just as above. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The reason I don't WNG is because I would not want to deal with my hair thereafter. I mean, this was just a small section I experimented on, and while the coil definition may look cute up close, from afar the real nightmare it'd be to deal with later becomes clear. The size of 4A coils makes it easy to go from a WNG definition to a fluffed up afro. But pray do tell, how's a 4B person supposed to get a comb through those tubes?

Good post, and your hair is gorgeous! Re: the bolded...do people try to comb their hair when it's dried from a wash n go? Yikes! I'm sure I'd have knots if I did that. I've never even thought to try and comb or detangle my natural hair when it's dry. As long as it's wet, I'm fine.

Good post, and your hair is gorgeous! Re: the bolded...do people try to comb their hair when it's dried from a wash n go? Yikes! I'm sure I'd have knots if I did that.

I don't think so. What I meant was if I, a 4B head, were to let my hair air-dry like that, because of how small those tubes are, I swear I think they'd fuse up into locs. :lachen: So that when I would wet it again to try to comb it, it'd be a lost case. :nono:

The day I did this experiment, I was so skurred, that I even said a prayer that it'd go well, coz I don't think I've ever let my hair dry w/o at least combing through while it's wet or separating strands with fingers.

This was the WNG I did in 2006 :look: (Bet you didn't know that was a WNG, huh? :lachen: ). You better believe I combed it out when it was wet. No way was I gonna just shake n' go like I think 4As can.

ETA: Thank you for your kind compliment on my hair. So is your. :yep:

I've never even thought to try and comb or detangle my natural hair when it's dry. As long as it's wet, I'm fine.

See, that's the magic of 4As. You could do a WNG and then wet it and it'd be easy to comb through. I think I'd have to stretch the strands out to get a comb to glide through without instead making the hair above the comb act like a compressed spring and totally lock the comb in. Maybe one day when I'm feeling very brave I'll try an inch square WNG fringe and then see how long it takes me to get my hair back to normal later that day. :scratchch

Last edited:
Hair type: 4a
Hair length: twa
How often do you wash? once a week
How often do you clarify? once a month
How often do you detangle? never
How often do you straighten? never
How often do you cowash? daily
How often do you wash n go? daily
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? wash n go, twists, braids
What is your moisturizing regimen? cowash, moisturize with QB heavy cream, hydrating balm

when my hair was 7 inches stretched, i started having issues with knots due to the post partum shedding. all of that hair was getting tangled up something terrible. but beforehand, i never had a problem.

Last edited:
Hair length: twa
How often do you detangle? never
How often do you wash n go? daily
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? wash n go, twists, braids
What is your moisturizing regimen? cowash, moisturize with QB heavy cream, hydrating balm

when my hair was 7 inches stretched, i started having issues with knots due to the post partum shedding. all of that hair was getting tangled up something terrible. but beforehand, i never had a problem.

You NEVER detangle? I'm curious, you must elaborate more!

I don't think so. What I meant was if I, a 4B head, were to let my hair air-dry like that, because of how small those tubes are, I swear I think they'd fuse up into locs. :lachen: So that when I would wet it again to try to comb it, it'd be a lost case. :nono:

The day I did this experiment, I was so skurred, that I even said a prayer that it'd go well, coz I don't think I've ever let my hair dry w/o at least combing through while it's wet or separating strands with fingers.

This was the WNG I did in 2006 :look: (Bet you didn't know that was a WNG, huh? :lachen: ). You better believe I combed it out when it was wet. No way was I gonna just shake n' go like I think 4As can.

ETA: Thank you for your kind compliment on my hair. So is your. :yep:

See, that's the magic of 4As. You could do a WNG and then wet it and it'd be easy to comb through. I think I'd have to stretch the strands out to get a comb to glide through without instead making the hair above the comb act like a compressed spring and totally lock the comb in. Maybe one day when I'm feeling very brave I'll try an inch square WNG fringe and then see how long it takes me to get my hair back to normal later that day. :scratchch

I do have a lot of 4b hair though. And it's not really easy to comb...the Denman doesn't glide right through at all!:lachen: I have to use lots of elbow grease. I do it exactly how you said...I section it, stretch each section out and Denman it, starting from the bottom and working to the root. It is tangled, but not knotted.

The beauty of it, though, is that my hair is stronger now that it's natural, so I don't worry about breakage while I'm detangling, which means I can go faster.:yep:

See, that's exactly how the entire middle/back section of my hair looks.:yep: The crown and perimeter are 4A, the nape is 3 something:sad: (can you say mullet?), and the rest is 4b. I do shake n gos, and once it's time to wash, I finger comb in the shower and that gets the big tangles out.

Excellent Thread Lauren450!!

Hair type: Ummm, kinky curly. I know that's a cop out for some, but I really don't feel like my hair falls into the numeric system.
Hair length: longest layer is APL, shortest layer is between shoulder and collarbone.
How often do you wash? It's random...no set schedule for me...just whenever I feel like I have build up. Could be once a month, could be twice in a week...I just go by the "feel" of my hair.
How often do you clarify? My clarifying consists of using bentonite clay for the most part, which I do every couple - three months
How often do you detangle? probably once a week
How often do you straighten? twice in the last two years...not to revisit for a while.
How often do you cowash? every 2 days or so
How often do you wash n go? when my hair was shorter, I would wash n go almost daily. Not that it's longer, denser, bulkier and just out-right harder to deal with, I haven't done it since July. Don't really plan on it going forward...I just have too much hair.
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Just came out of a weave, and am now focused on braided styles as a protective style.
What is your moisturizing regimen? Coconut oil every few days.

Hair type: 4A/ coilies
Hair length: 2-4 inches
How often do you wash? everyday
How often do you clarify? never
How often do you detangle? usually once a month/whenever i remember lol
How often do you cowash? everyday
How often do you wash n go? everday
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? just a twa
What is your moisturizing regimen? urm... no moisturizer, just leave in conditioner and glycerin

Last edited:
Great thread Lauren. I've been thinking for a long time of doing a thread like this, but for everybody - relaxed, texlaxed or natural - that don't have tangles. Once someone (no tangles) posted a thread about what's up with people who got tangles, and I asked some of these questions trying to find a common thread.

And you and your hair are so gorgeous. Especially the pic of you with the fro. You look great with any hairstyle, but that one with the fro just draws the eye.

Let me get out of here now since I'm not natural.

Hair type: ? not 3c 4 something
Hair length: bra strap to mid back
How often do you clarify? every 3 months
How often do you detangle? once a week with fingers and every 12 weeks with a wide tooth comb
How often do you straighten? not since 1998
How often do you cowash? first wash with shampoo and second wash with conditioner, does that count?
How often do you wash n go? never, my hair is too straight in the front and curly in the back, it looks weird
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? twist-outs and buns
What is your moisturizing regimen? every other day with moisturizer for braids

Hair type: 4A
Hair length: SL
How often do you wash? Once a week
How often do you clarify? I don't
How often do you detangle? It depends on what I'm doing with my hair after washing. I usually don't have to detangle but if I'm going to plait it to airdry I'll do it. If I'm washing and going or bunning I won't.
How often do you straighten? Every once in a while
How often do you cowash? I don't
How often do you wash n go? Most of the time when my hair is out
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? A wash and go, puff or a bun when my hair is out
What is your moisturizing regimen? I just wash and DC once a week

The only time I get knots (those one strand pixie knots) is when my hair is dry. I find they show up the most around the perimeter/edge and usually when my hair is in a weave or something. The hair that escapes from the braids will get dry and get the knots. Usually in the nape and front edge on the left. As long as I keep it moisturized, I don't get them. I don't have any problems with serious knots or tangles through my hair.

I totally agree with this; I think what differentiates 4B from other hair types is not the presence, or lack thereof, of a discernible curl. It's that the curls are so tiny that they appear nonexistent.

(Sorry for hijacking; I'm about to answer the questions but I just had to agree when I read this. My hair has been shocking me lately and I think it's because I had bought into an erroneous notion of what 4B hair is and is not).

Hair type: 4B
Hair length: 0.75" shrunken; neck-length stretched :ohwell:
How often do you wash? At least once a week, sometimes twice a week
How often do you clarify? Once a month
How often do you detangle? Everyday when I'm not in twists (I detangle after cowashing)
How often do you straighten? Never
How often do you cowash? Everyday when I'm not in twists
How often do you wash n go? Everyday when I'm not in twists
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Afro, twists
What is your moisturizing regimen? WHEN IN TWISTS: QB Karkady Tea or homemade spritz and Burdock Root Cream applied sparingly, sealed with castor oil. NOT IN TWISTS/AFRO: EITHER Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Cream and Burdock Root Cream, sealed with Coconut Oil, OR Miss Jessie's Buttercreme, sealed with Castor and Coconut oils

Great thread, Lauren! :yep:

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions. I want to see if there's a common denominator.

Hair length: Shoulder
How often do you wash? Once per week
How often do you clarify? Never
How often do you detangle? Every other day when I CW
How often do you straighten? Used to be 2X/month - now none
How often do you cowash? Every other day
How often do you wash n go? Never
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Big braids, half wig on top
What is your moisturizing regimen? Moisturize every time I CW

I never have knots/matting/dreading because I do not twist or braid my hair in small parts.

The only thing I see is that we all wash at least once a week. Not all of us cowash. Detangling once a week is also common.

Interesting...We have lots of different lengths and hair types, so that isn't it.

It's still something of a mystery...:yep:

I don't:nono: My hair doesn't like it.

It likes cowashing. It's thirsty :eek:

Hair type:4a/b
Hair length:neck length stretched
How often do you wash? once per week
How often do you clarify? every other week
How often do you detangle? just started doing this weekly
How often do you straighten?never
How often do you cowash? 3-4x per week
How often do you wash n go?3-4x per week
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? wash n go and twist outs
What is your moisturizing regimen?moisturize with shea butter or Karen's body beautiful hair cream daily

love this thread

The only thing I see is that we all wash at least once a week. Not all of us cowash. Detangling once a week is also common.

Interesting...We have lots of different lengths and hair types, so that isn't it.

It's still something of a mystery...:yep:

I think it has to do with shrinkage. People who have massive shrinkage usually have more tangles. My hair only shrinks maybe 50%.

Hmmm, I definitely don't think it's the washing factor. I definitely don't wash once a week or on a regular basis.

I think it has to do with the proper moisture level for your hair.

I never have knots/matting/dreading because I do not twist or braid my hair in small parts.

Ummmm. Nooo, girl. That wouldn't stop your hair from tangling if your hair was the type to tangle.:nono:

Lauren, I was just thinking that a couple of new lines should be added to the questionnaire. I think tangling has a lot to do with the density of the hair, the thickness of the strands, and the porosity of the hair.

I.e. People with dense hair, thin strands, and rough (raised cuticles) porous hair, will have more tangles. People with sparse / medium hair, and thick smooth strands, will have less.

Someone also mentioned degree of shrinkage, which might also be a factor.

Ummmm. Nooo, girl. That wouldn't stop your hair from tangling if your hair was the type to tangle.:nono:

Lauren, I was just thinking that a couple of new lines should be added to the questionnaire. I think tangling has a lot to do with the density of the hair, the thickness of the strands, and the porosity of the hair.

I.e. People with dense hair, thin strands, and rough (raised cuticles) porous hair, will have more tangles. People with sparse / medium hair, and thick smooth strands, will have less.

Someone also mentioned degree of shrinkage, which might also be a factor.

I would agree with this too. People with real dense hair have hair that's packed really tight together and there's usually a lot of strands so it's hard to get in there. If you have more strands of hair packed tightly together (especially thick hair) they're going to tangle. My hair is fine, but it's not dense and I don't have a lot of strands so I don't really have that issue. To be honest, I spent more time detangling when my hair was relaxed.

I'm transitioning, 9 mos., half relaxed/half natural, never matt, dread or knots up....so, okay here's my input:

Hair type: 4A(3c-ish)
Hair length: APL
How often do you wash? Rarely
How often do you clarify? Monthly, with Nutrine Garlic Poo, however it depends on how my hair feels
How often do you detangle? Weekly, with fingers in shower- no combs
How often do you straighten? Weekly, sometimes bi-weekly -flatiron
How often do you cowash? Weekly, with Tresemme moisture rich or Suave humectress
How often do you dc? Weekly with Elasta QP DPR-11 and brahmi, maka, amla and henna with coconut, vatika and amla oils mixed in.
How often do you wash n go? Whenever I don't straighten
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? Wrapped/straight or ponytail or french roll with hair out.
What is your moisturizing regimen? It varies - i try to listen to what my hair needs. Daily moisture with vatika, parachute c-nut, amla, amla-brahmi, sulfur oil, bbb castor oil, s-curl some how make it into my moisturizing regimen depending on my hairstyle.

Hair length:SL
How often do you wash? I don't wash with shampoo
How often do you detangle? twice a week (whenever I cowash/clarify)
How often do you cowash? twice a week
How often do you wash n go? never
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? twist outs
What is your moisturizing regimen? Anytime I wear my hair out during the day I twist it up at night and moisturize with sheamoisture sheabutter leavein and vegetable gylcerine mix. I normally leave my hair tied up in twists if I don't go anywhere bc it stays moisturized.

Hair length:currently neck length (I did a second big chop after 7 years natural)
How often do you wash? I cowash daily, use shampoo 1-2 times per week
How often do you detangle? errr, I run my fingers through my hair a couple of times per week
How often do you straighten?never
How often do you wash n go?right now,daily. Before, never since my hair was so long.
What styles do you wear on a regular basis? twa/fro
What is your moisturizing regimen? I leave in some regular conditioner and occasional run my fingers through my hair with some olive oil.

Back