Naturals with permanent hair color please enter

bermudabeauty

Hey ladies I am curious about what hair color products, besides henna, do you use in your hair. My hair grows fast and I have grey hair especially at the hairline. I have approx 1/2 inch of grey since my bc and color last month. I used this

I want to know:

What is the brand name and color you are using?:

How often do you touch up your color?:

Thank you

Last edited:

Transformer

I'm natural and about 60% gray---totally gray around the facial hair line. I've used Preference products before with success...however they can be harsh on the hair and tend to relax my curl. Excellence Creme has a pre-conditioner but fades to red after a few weeks. I think I've used everything on the market since I've been grey since age 19. Henna also goes red on me. By the way, I only apply dye to newly gray hair and the around the hairline.

Recently I started using Roux Porosity Control before applying a rinse or semi-permanent and I'm getting better results---color is staying longer about 6 weeks and two shampoos a week. I'm currently trying Beautiful Advanced Gray Solutions which is a semi-permanent. Too early in testing phase to form an opinion.

Last edited:

bermudabeauty

Thank you so much for sharing. You say Prefernce products are "harsh on your hair" and "relax your curl" When you say that it is harsh do you mean it dries your hair out? I don't mind my curls being relaxed since I am a 4a curl pattern. What is your curl pattern Ebonybee?

TCatt86

I just colored Saturday so I don't think I can give you much advice. But I used the Dark and Lovely permanent color. I can say I'm pleased and the color is true to the box. My curl patter did not loosen which makes me very happy and once I deep conditioned my hair felt like it normally does. Hopefully I won't have any serious problems, but I will report back..

This is the color I used, I wish I had gone a tad lighter.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

bermudabeauty

Thats a nice color TCatt but I remember using dark and lovely when I was releaxed it was VERY DRYING on my hair. I wonder now that I am natural if it will have the same effect.

Transformer

I'm probably a 4a also. I detest the relaxing of my curls--I once had ringlets--now they are just zig-zags! Yes, coloring will make the hair hold less moisture and you will have to employ methods to prevent this. I use natural black in whatever I buy.

Ramya

I just colored Saturday so I don't think I can give you much advice. But I used the Dark and Lovely permanent color. I can say I'm pleased and the color is true to the box. My curl patter did not loosen which makes me very happy and once I deep conditioned my hair felt like it normally does. Hopefully I won't have any serious problems, but I will report back..

This is what I use in the same color and everything. :yep: I haven't had any problems at all. I touch up every 6 months. It's almost time for me to touch up my roots.

TCatt86

Thats a nice color TCatt but I remember using dark and lovely when I was releaxed it was VERY DRYING on my hair. I wonder now that I am natural if it will have the same effect.

I will let you know in 6 months how my hair is. lol!!! But so far so good, I think permanent colors in general are drying, but my hair isn't feeling any different than it normally does, granted it's only been a few days and I have cowash twice since saturday and I normally don't cowash. I will post a pic of the color in tomorrow.

TCatt86

This is what I use in the same color and everything. :yep: I haven't had any problems at all. I touch up every 6 months. It's almost time for me to touch up my roots.

What I like about the color is that it really does look like the color on the box, not the one on the model but the one that shows you how your hair will come out depending on the previous shade. I hear good things about Textures and Tones, my mom has been using that color for years, she's natural and she loves it. She keeps her hair short though.

Ediese

I think that color probably looks so pretty on you! Where are the pics??

bermudabeauty

Textures and tones is by miss clairol right? I will have to look that up right quick. If I remember correctly Textures and tones always had bright colors like fire red and super blonde. I don't want bright color like that.

TCatt86

Textures and tones is by miss clairol right? I will have to look that up right quick. If I remember correctly Textures and tones always had bright colors like fire red and super blonde. I don't want bright color like that.

LOL!!! Some of their colors aren't too light. Southerbella colored her hair with one of their colors and it was subtle. Let me find the thread.

Ramya

The attached photo is from when I first colored it 4.5 months ago. It was the same color as the headband I was wearing.

now it's looking like this 4.5 months later. I promise I'm going to touch up my roots. Don't talk about me too bad. :lachen:

Attachments

• Dye018-1.jpg
    Dye018-1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 18

TCatt86

The attached photo is from when I first colored it 4.5 months ago. It was the same color as the headband I was wearing.

now it's looking like this 4.5 months later. I promise I'm going to touch up my roots. Don't talk about me too bad. :lachen:

It's growing out nicely. It looked really pretty in the beginning.

chebaby

im so glad you posted pics because i have a twa and was trying to decide if i should color now or wait until it grows out. i like the pic of your twa so i may color my hair this weekend. im still not sure if i want to buy box color or go to aveda to get it done.