Neck Length and I dont know what to do with myself

SoOoNY

So I started on LHCF at the beginning of October. And with the help of some wiser people (Thanks Tee), I got myself to stop mutilating my hair and had a pretty good regimen for my shoulder length hair....

No heat, keeping it up, MN, oiling with profectiv growth oil, Vits, exercise and water, BB Mayo and honey on my edges and ends... (now Cantu Shea Growth Strength)

Well apparently the damage i have done is was more severe that I have thought. I went to get my hair blown out for my grad pic and to see my month progress. IT WAS A DISASTER. My left and right side had grown but my middle had completely broke off (pics in my fotki and a thread i put up) so my end made an upside down U shape... TRIFLIN! Also my edges are so thin I dont know how I dont have a "five-head" yet. I was so angry at everything, I told her to even it out and neck length was the result. This is the shortest my hair has ever been and I have no clue what to do.

So now I need some ideas on protective styles that are good for my hair and doesn't pull my edges. I was just gonna rollerset, but I havent had a perm in 10 weeks, and even tho my hair is short, I was still using MN so I have ALOT of new growth.

HELP ME!!!!!

elaine07

Hmmm... I'm not sure how you feel about wearing fake hair, but you could try a half wig. That way you could cornrow your own hair underneath. You'll still have the flexibility of being able to wash and condition your hair whenever you want. Personally, I haven't tried it, but I have friends and coworkers that wear them, and love them. Just a thought ...

SleepyJean

So I started on LHCF at the beginning of October. And with the help of some wiser people (Thanks Tee), I got myself to stop mutilating my hair and had a pretty good regimen for my shoulder length hair....

No heat, keeping it up, MN, oiling with profectiv growth oil, Vits, exercise and water, BB Mayo and honey on my edges and ends... (now Cantu Shea Growth Strength)

Well apparently the damage i have done is was more severe that I have thought. I went to get my hair blown out for my grad pic and to see my month progress. IT WAS A DISASTER. My left and right side had grown but my middle had completely broke off (pics in my fotki and a thread i put up) so my end made an upside down U shape... TRIFLIN! Also my edges are so thin I dont know how I dont have a "five-head" yet. I was so angry at everything, I told her to even it out and neck length was the result. This is the shortest my hair has ever been and I have no clue what to do.

So now I need some ideas on protective styles that are good for my hair and doesn't pull my edges. I was just gonna rollerset, but I havent had a perm in 10 weeks, and even tho my hair is short, I was still using MN so I have ALOT of new growth.

HELP ME!!!!!

If it makes you feel better, your siggy picture disguises the damage well. I think your hair looks healthy there.

Last edited:

SoOoNY

If it makes you feel better, your siggy picture disguises the damage well. I your hair looks healthy there.

lmao... well the cut does disguise the breakage in the middle and it is much healthier than before... so thanks it does!!!

and I had a weave and braids before... apparently my hair is too weak for that as of now..lol... cause that the reason it broke!

caribeandiva

Human being
You'll be fine. I started with ear length hair. heck, neck length was a milestone for me. The no heat thing never worked for me, neither did protective styles. I always blowdried and flatironed at least once a week but i deepconditioned twice a week to keep my strands happy.

SleepyJean

You'll be fine. I started with ear length hair. heck, neck length was a milestone for me. The no heat thing never worked for me, neither did protective styles. I always blowdried and flatironed at least once a week but i deepconditioned twice a week to keep my strands happy.

That's how I feel now! I'm fully neck length in the back, and I'm happy. I hope to reach BSL one day.

janeemat

Girl your hair will grow back! I started off in January 2007 with that same length and now I'm maybe 3 inches from APL. Get you a good regi and stick with it. For me I washed and deep cond twice a week, roller set, wrap when dry and some soft buns/pin ups. I think stretching also was key for me (12-14) wks. Check out my fotki.

atlien

You will be fine. I started off at above ear length a little over a year ago.

If you can't make a ponytail, you can roller set and wrap it. This way, you do not have to do to much to maintain your style. If you are to post relaxing for rollersets, then maybe you can do braid outs.

wadadligyal

Well I've already told you I like the cut!!!! In terms of styles, you can do rollersets, bantu knots or twistouts and your hair will be fine. You can also do pinups or use the flexi 8 (there are a few threads about this).
It'll grow back strong and healthy as I've told you before and this time you'll know what NOT to do. Happy growing!!!!!!

Artemis

HELP ME!!!!!

IMO I think you might want to take a long objective look at your regimen and make some changes. You said yourself, you hair was not strong enough for styling, so perhaps your regimen was not addressing the interior damage of the hair. Even if you've read them before, go back to Sistaslick's articles on moisture/protein balancing and compare this against your current haircare routine. Hopefully you can find where some positive changes can be made and prevent this from happening again. I mean, if you have long hair, but it's too fragile to be styled or worn however you'd like to wear it, then what's the point?? :look:

HTH and stay positive :)