from neck length to shoulder length

vavouna

Hi ladies...and especially my short haired sista's...holla! for those of you who have gracefully reached shoulder length from neck length...drum roll please:lachen: help a sista out here will ya? What is your regimine and hair care products that have helped you achieve this goal? common ......spit it out! lol!:grin:

Nonie

• Low manipulation--wore braids for a whole year;
  • Redoing braids when they got loose by undoing one at a time, removing shed hair with fingers and rebraiding that one before going on to another--particularly the hairline.
  • Keeping a simple regimen: shampoo, condition, ACV rinse twice a week and baggy every night. I don't use products when in braids;

wannabelong

I wore half wigs and the UPA clip.
I washed, DC and air dryed every week.
I moisturized and sealed with an oil every night

Americka

Wash day regimen:

• shampoo with Skala or Nioxin
  • condition with Skala or Nioxin
  • DC with Skala or other DC
  • moisturize with Skala or NTM leave in
  • roller set and air dry or blow dry and flat iron
I wash every 7 to 10 days. I also do hot oil treatments, protein treatments, and use Porosity Control conditioner every couple of weeks. I moisturize nearly every other day or so.

The greatest thing I did for my hair is limit the amount of heat. I pin curl or roll my hair with satin sponge rollers every night. The second greatest thing I do for my hair is to sleep with a satin scarf covered by a satin bonnet on a satin pillow case.

I relax my hair every 7 to 10 weeks and make sure that my already relaxed hair is protected with a conditioner/vaseline mixture to prevent over processing.

I am convinced that it is not the products, but the actual care for the hair that got me from neck length to where I am now.

PDub

-Limited heat usage
-Stretched Relaxers
-Washed and Deep Conditioned every 3 or 4 days
-100% Protective Styled

It took me a full year to go from neck length to full shoulder length but I'm a slow, slow grower!!

I agree with Americka, you should focus on actual care of the hair moreso than products.

Minty

**washed/DC 2x week (if you can get away with less washing - it maybe better as far as manipulation - I can't stand scalp buildup)
**Pin up ends by tucking them under (sometimes)
**Moisturizing ends 2x a day. (NOT the scalp, only the ends - sometimes the midlength)
**Redken Anti-Snap

neck - (parallel w/chin) length to resting on shoulder length time - April 11 to July 10

Minty

oh yes - and very limited direct heat. I think I used flatiron/blowdryer (after a rollerset on roots) 2- 3 times in 3 months.

brucebettye

I am texlaxed and heading towards full apl:

To get from neck length to shoulder length:

1)I washed and deep conditioned my hair twice a week. At the time I was using baking soda mixed with sauve conditioner to clean my hair and using Mane N Tail mixed with olive oil to deep condition with heat.

2) I baggied my whole head with scurl every night.

3) I wore a side afro puff for about a year. Sometimes I would do an updo when I wanted a change or wear a low afro puff.

4) I detangled my hair once a week or every two weeks.

5) I trimmed or dusted my hair about every 3 month

6) At that time I did not use any direct heat.

dafnie

I was at neck length in Jan 2009 and I battled with it till August 2009. I wanted healthy hair first before length!
Then starting in August 2009, I aimed for longer hair and I reached full shoulder length March 2010.

**I stretched my relaxer, 4 months at a time
** Washed my hair once a week/ Deep conditioned once a week....
** When my hair was freshly relaxed I did rollersets.
** When the new growth started kicking in I air dried and did A LOT of braid outs.
** I barely ever used the flat iron.

I also refrained from trimming (I dusted here and there but nothing noticeable).

Now it's July 2010 and I'm at collarbone length. Hopefully APL before the end of the year. :)

Last edited: