Need a advice on self relaxing my natural hair

teysmith

Hello. A lot of you may not remember me because I havent posted in so long.

I went natural in march 2010 and It was the best thing I've ever done for myself and my hair :yep:

But now I'm ready to give relaxed hair another try now that I know a lot more about healthy haircare practices..

I loved being natural and definately may do it again somtime in the future but right now I want my hair straight.

Some months ago I started flat ironing my natural hair so my texure has become altered.. some parts are alot straighter than others and ofcourse the roots are the most kinky..

My hair texure is like a 4A/4B naturally.

I plan to self relax but I'm afraid of how the result be because of all the different texures I have going on. I dont want some parts straighter than others..

Also I hear people say that the roots are the last place you should apply the relaxer but by my roots being the most kinky and not as much altered by the heat as the ends are. I'm wondering if I should apply to my roots first?

I also have some split ends should i get rid of them first or after the relaxer? I dont want them to become more damaged during the relaxer process..

Should I use Lye or no lye relaxer? Regular or super? I plan to use ORS.

Please give me all the info I will need.. If you know of any good youtube videos please link them.

I will be making a thread after the relaxer to show pics of my hair from my BC till now :)

Thanks in advance!

hair4romheaven

I remember youuuu! welcome back ;-) I don't think its a good idea to relax heat trained hair as its already weakened? I'm unsure and am quite sure some one has successfully done it.
My only advice is to post pics after and good luck!
HHG

nzeee

i remember (and like) your face :D

no tips tho unfortch, i don't relax (just bumping for you)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I love your siggy! Your hair looks fab. Sorry, I don't remember much from my relaxed days, so BUMP.

prettyinpurple

Relaxing the roots last makes no sense to me. Maybe you misunderstood? Now if you want to apply it to the length of your hair, I'd definitely do that last since it may already be heat damaged and will not need much processing time.

teysmith

Relaxing the roots last makes no sense to me. Maybe you misunderstood? Now if you want to apply it to the length of your hair, I'd definitely do that last since it may already be heat damaged and will not need much processing time.

I think it was a something about the roots processing faster because there is more heat closer to the scap. Thanks alot for your advice :)

charmtreese

My advice would be to relax the mid shaft first, and then go back and apply the relaxer to the roots and ends.

Platinum

I remember you!:yep: I don't have any advice, hopefully some of the recently natural turned relaxed ladies will chime in to help you.

Welcome back!

LittleLuxe

Gosh I hazard to even reply to you because I've only been self relaxing for a bit but I hate to see someone's question go unanswered. Here goes:

I think whether you apply to roots first or ends depends on your texture or if your hair is resistant. If you are resistant I think you should apply to the roots first as it will take longer to relax and your ends should be easier. I've had multiple textures in my head trying to adjust to self relaxing so in my opinion I just can't cosign on putting relaxer on the ends since your ends will get smoother since you'll be able to more easilly reach them than the roots which you have to really work at.

Cut split ends AFTER relaxer since cutting them before will just leave them vulnerable to the relaxer.

Lye bs no lye is a personal preference. I've heard Lye is harder on the scalp (stronger) while No-Lye is harder on the hair. Supposedly you get straighter hair with no-lye. Like I said it's prefernce. With no lye just to be sure to use a chelsting shampoo ORS and Mizani both have them (I use the Mizani one). I'd use regular unless you're super resistant. Especially with a virgin perm you'll need a lot of time to work so best to give yourself ample (maybe even look up a gentle kiddie relaxer)

I know I obsessed over YouTube videos before my previous (very successful!) relaxer but I swear I can't find the super awesome one that was zoomed in to the scalp so you could see how she parted and premed the hair.

Hope this helps, good luck!

teysmith

Gosh I hazard to even reply to you because I've only been self relaxing for a bit but I hate to see someone's question go unanswered. Here goes:

I think whether you apply to roots first or ends depends on your texture or if your hair is resistant. If you are resistant I think you should apply to the roots first as it will take longer to relax and your ends should be easier. I've had multiple textures in my head trying to adjust to self relaxing so in my opinion I just can't cosign on putting relaxer on the ends since your ends will get smoother since you'll be able to more easilly reach them than the roots which you have to really work at.

Cut split ends AFTER relaxer since cutting them before will just leave them vulnerable to the relaxer.

Lye bs no lye is a personal preference. I've heard Lye is harder on the scalp (stronger) while No-Lye is harder on the hair. Supposedly you get straighter hair with no-lye. Like I said it's prefernce. With no lye just to be sure to use a chelsting shampoo ORS and Mizani both have them (I use the Mizani one). I'd use regular unless you're super resistant. Especially with a virgin perm you'll need a lot of time to work so best to give yourself ample (maybe even look up a gentle kiddie relaxer)

I know I obsessed over YouTube videos before my previous (very successful!) relaxer but I swear I can't find the super awesome one that was zoomed in to the scalp so you could see how she parted and premed the hair.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you very much! This post was very helful :)

Ballerina_Bun

If you decide to do it, please buy 2 kits just to be on the safe side. I don't know how thick and long your hair really is, but you "may" need the additional kit.

InBloom

In my new-growth
I don't know if its an option for you, but you may want to consider letting a professional do your first relaxer on your hair. Then, perhaps you could better manage touch ups yourself later on. The reason I suggest is because I would imagine it to be a very daunting task to relax your whole head. I don't know if you've self relaxed in the past or not. Imagine the awkward angles trying to see and apply relaxer. Imagine the clock ticking when you are still trying to apply it all over. Then imagine when your scalps starts tingling and you're nowhere near finished applying--- let alone smoothing.

I wouldn't suggest you do your entire head by yourself. Seems like you would be destined for under processing, scalp damage, inadvertant overprocessing some areas, etc, etc.

Working with new growth is MUCH easier than your entire head, especially if you're out of practice or have never done it yourself before. Aside from that, a stylist could give you a really good trimming, cut, or whatever. You'd get a well processed relaxer, and a good cut/trim to boot.

Since you know how to better care for relaxed hair, the rest should be a breeze.

I know that its expensive and very time consuming to visit a salon, but it may be worth the time and financial investment for the sake of avoiding a set back BEFORE you even begin a relaxed regimen.

I hope that helps some.

Oh, and the question about lye vs. no-lye IS a personal choice like a previous poster mentioned. You have to decide what's best for you. I made my decision to switch to lye relaxers based solely on the threads here on the forum. Truth be told, I had no idea there was even a difference. Before this board, I thought all relaxers were created equal.

I prefer lye for my reasons, so you have to weigh the options for your own reasons.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
^^I completely cosign the above. I really think a professional stylist would be best for a virgin application. I wouldn't try it.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
When I decided to relax I went to several salons and talked to the stylists before I got in anybody's chair to feel them out and see who I was comfortable with. I finally found a good stylist at JC Pennys.

Good luck whatever you do.

JeterCrazed

+4. A full Relaxer is the haircare equivalent to painting the outside of your house. Looks easy, but easily turns into a nightmare.

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD