Need Help ....

rastapretty

I am glad I found a forum that could help me with some hair advice. This is my first time subscribing:grin:. I can seem to manage my hair even though I purchase the most expensive hair product to do my hair, such as Phytospecific even their relaxer which I am currently using; in the past I used affirm relaxer and all the Avlon hair product Kera Care and such. My hair shed when it is time for a relaxer, become dry and brittle which is by the 4 weeks,:wallbash: I might add that I also get headaches when it is time for a touch up. I dont know:pullhair: what else I can do to get my hair to be healthy and full. I have a really nappy root and neck lenght hair. Please Help!!!

supermodelsonya

You need to develop a regimen that you can stick to is the only advice I can give. Everyone's regimen is totally different so you have to build your own.

Shampoo and conditioner is the first step. How often are you going to wash your hair? What does your hair need? More moisture or protein? Sounds like you need more moisture since its hard and brittle.

Find a good deep conditioner and do it once to twice a week. Find some great leave in moisturizers that you can use everyday along with an oil to seal it all in.

What protective styles are you wearing? Are you applying heat to your hair?

These are the first few steps to regimen building.

You're in the right place. Try doing searches on how to build a regimen.

sharifeh

Well, welcome
Can you start by telling us what products you use, like shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in conditioner? Let's start with that since you said your hair gets dry and brittle

BlkOnyx488

Relaxing every four weeks seems a bit harsh on the hair. Are you sure you couldn't try stretching that time out to 8 - 12 weeks?

Maybe on the 4th week put your hair in braids or something to get yourself to week 8.

-

LushLox

Please, please please consider relaxing at 8 or even 7 weeks. Relaxing every four months can't be doing your hair much good!

Avaya

I'm copying this from my blog because I'm too lazy to restate it. Just so you know, I am 4a/b relaxed with 1/4 - 2 inches worth of newgrowth (some kinky and wiry, some coily and some wavy) and I am about 5 months post relaxer. HTH!

Blog Entry

Elasta QP Conditioning Shampoo is the bomb diggity, Keracare Intensive Restorative Masque is my baby's daddy, Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner could get it, and Mane 'n Tail Detangler is all that and a bag of chips :grin::grin::grin:!!!

This is the first time in a long time that my hair has not been matted and full of tangles post wash and to top it all off, feels soft to the touch.

I washed in 4 sections using the Elasta shampoo. Deep conditioned with the Keracare Masque for 30 minutes. Rinsed with cold water, put some Porosity Control on, rinsed that off, towel dried, sprayed on some Mane 'n Tail and used a nickel sized amount of IC Fantasia serum on each section and stood there in awe as the comb just glided through my hair during each and every step. I tied my hair down with a scarf and sat under the dryer for a couple of hours.

I ran into one and the only knot which I took care of this morning. I'm pretty content. The hooded dryer was the only heat I used so of course my hair isn't super smooth and straight. I'm waiting until Spring to try my Maxiglide :drunk:.

rastapretty

I wanted to start up by thanking you for responding!!!:bouncy:

This is the list of my current product:
For my relaxer I used: Phytospecific Index2
I have:
PHYTOSPECIFIC - Intense Nutrition Mask
Phytospecific Multi-Regenerating Creme Bath
Phytospecific Integral Hair Care,
Phytospecific Vital Force Shampoo,
Phytospecific Moisturizing Styling Balm,
Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm,
PhytoSpecific Growth Serum
Kera Care oil moisturizer jojoba
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor
Affirm Normalizing Shampoo
Some Carol daughters
Recently puchase product after reading some thread
-Mega tek
-Some indian powder
-Roux poroxity
-Garlic oil treatment
Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment
Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair
Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer

I definitly need to come up with a regimen, I dont even know where to start since it was never part of my routine.
I must say I only wash my hair every tow weeks .. I got used to it because I used to go to my hairdresser every two weeks and feels that when I wash my hair I wash out the relaxer.

I think I also dont know how to incorporate all the product I currently have.

I also take vitamins.

I am looking foward to my journey with your advise.:dance7:
Thank you in advance.

rastapretty

Re: Need Help .... Phyto or Joico K pak

PhytoSpecific is my main hair product, I have been reading rave about Joico Kpak and I was wondering, which one do you think is the best?

lilsparkle825

ok....first of all, DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELSE! we all come to LHCF overwhelmed by what we see and we go on a buying frenzy...trust, i did it too...but STOP until you have figured out to make what you already have work for you.

somewhere in that list of stuff, you already have the basics of what you need for healthy hair: a good shampoo, a moisturizing deep conditioner, protein treatments (since you are relaxed) and a leave-in or moisturizer.

i'll tell you right now, there is no such thing as "washing out the relaxer"...it's fine to wash your hair every 2 weeks if that is what you are used to, but it's what you do on wash day (and how often you moisturize/detangle/etc) that will affect your hair's health and ultimately, its growth.

i wasn't trying to solve all your problems with this post, but i hope it helped...i just don't want to see you 2 months down the line with a closet full of hair products but hair is still all over your shirt and sink.

andromeda

I definitly need to come up with a regimen, I dont even know where to start since it was never part of my routine.
I must say I only wash my hair every tow weeks .. I got used to it because I used to go to my hairdresser every two weeks and feels that when I wash my hair I wash out the relaxer.

I think I also dont know how to incorporate all the product I currently have.

I also take vitamins.

I am looking foward to my journey with your advise.:dance7:
Thank you in advance.

Here's a great article on regimen building by one of our members, sistaslick.

Here's a newbie guide with tons of useful info.

I remember when I was obsessed with phyto products about 5 or so years ago. Never actually bought any of their stuff :look: but I was in love with the brand identity.

eta: I mentioned this to another newbie the other day and I think it bears repeating. In starting your healthy haircare journey, don't just focus on the "what". Start with the "how's" and "why's". How does hair grow healthily? How does one maintain that health? Why are certain products needed? Why do the ingredients in products address your hair's needs? How do I go about listening to what my hair needs or wants?

The article I linked addresses some of these questions and the other articles by that author expand on them.

Last edited:

rastapretty

Thank you for the explanation it really help. What I have been doing since I started my post was a wash every week and a deep conditioner when I wash. I have also started doing the moisture and seal ... I do hope I am doing it right.

ok....first of all, DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELSE! we all come to LHCF overwhelmed by what we see and we go on a buying frenzy...trust, i did it too...but STOP until you have figured out to make what you already have work for you.

somewhere in that list of stuff, you already have the basics of what you need for healthy hair: a good shampoo, a moisturizing deep conditioner, protein treatments (since you are relaxed) and a leave-in or moisturizer.

i'll tell you right now, there is no such thing as "washing out the relaxer"...it's fine to wash your hair every 2 weeks if that is what you are used to, but it's what you do on wash day (and how often you moisturize/detangle/etc) that will affect your hair's health and ultimately, its growth.

i wasn't trying to solve all your problems with this post, but i hope it helped...i just don't want to see you 2 months down the line with a closet full of hair products but hair is still all over your shirt and sink.

rastapretty

Thank you so much ... I will be reading into it.

Here's a great article on regimen building by one of our members, sistaslick.

Here's a newbie guide with tons of useful info.

I remember when I was obsessed with phyto products about 5 or so years ago. Never actually bought any of their stuff :look: but I was in love with the brand identity.

eta: I mentioned this to another newbie the other day and I think it bears repeating. In starting your healthy haircare journey, don't just focus on the "what". Start with the "how's" and "why's". How does hair grow healthily? How does one maintain that health? Why are certain products needed? Why do the ingredients in products address your hair's needs? How do I go about listening to what my hair needs or wants?

The article I linked addresses some of these questions and the other articles by that author expand on them.

Solitude

You probably just need to stretch your relaxers and moisturize your ends daily. Also, if you have damaged/dry ends, consider a trim to start fresh.

rastapretty

Thank your for the reply. I got a trim back in November 2009 so I moisture and seal my hair every night. I think my hair is getting moisture back a bit. I am definitely stretching this time around my goal is 8 weeks right now ... will see!!!