Need QUICK Advice: Getting Kinky Twists Tomorrow AM

Incognitus

Ok, I know if I search long enough I'll find the answers, but I'm a bit pressed for time. I'm getting kinky twist put in with synthetic hair and need to know the following:

1.How do I rinse the hair with ACV and is it really necessary?
2.Is there anything I should be aware of (aside fr telling stylist not to put too much hair on my edges)?
3.Some people use gel when doing the twists, show I say 'no' to that?
4.Should my hair be completely dry or can it be a little wet?

The following questions are less time sensitive, but significant nonetheless:

5.I want to keep it in for 8 weeks, how do I keep it moisturized without adding buildup that will lead to matted/dread hair after removal?

6.What's best way to wash my twists and how often? Can I cowash?

*Basically, I need a maintenance routine. Anyone have any ideas or remember any thread links?

Tiye

Ok, I know if I search long enough I'll find the answers, but I'm a bit pressed for time. I'm getting kinky twist put in with synthetic hair and need to know the following:

Put it in a bowl/basin/sink with about a cup of acv. Allow it to sit about 15 minutes. Rinse. Hang to dry.

2.Is there anything I should be aware of (aside fr telling stylist not to put too much hair on my edges)?

Go very easy on the edges and overall don't braid too tight. It's up to you to speak up and let the braider know if she's pulling too tight.

Some people use gel when doing the twists, show I say 'no' to that?

I'm not familiar with this - I wouldn't have any use for it.

It should be dry.

That's all I got. I'll leave the rest of the questions for someone else. Enjoy your twists. :)

faithVA

This may be a little late but may help for next time.
1. I just rinse the hair in left over shampoo that I'm not using. I've never done an ACV rinse on it.
2. She probably won't start it with a braid so it shouldn't be too tight. When they do your edges, after they have started the twist, take your index finger and hold the base of the twist against your scale to prevent her from pulling the hair while twisting. (hope that makes sense).

3. You don't need gel on kinky twists.

4. Your hair should be dry. Shampoo, detangle, dry and stretch your hair yourself if you can. If you don't have time take whatever you detangle with, with you and detangle your own hair.

Incognitus

Thanks ladies. I'm buying my hair tomorrow AM and getting it twisted at 1pm. So, I'm going to do the ACV rinse in the am and them blow dry it a little to speed up the drying process.

faithVA yes, that made perfect sense. I'm doing a DC then roller set tonight so it can be straighter for tomorrow. Should I use any kind of leave in?

Incognitus

Here's the type of twists I want.

DISCLAIMER: I found this pic online, so I blurred her face (simply out of common courtesy). If it's someone on here, sorry for using your pic....I'll take it down if someone is uncomfortable with it.

Last edited:

missiongirl

Periodic ACV rinse helped me with minimizing buildup in the twists. After washing and conditioning twists, I took very large cup of cool water and added about 1/4 cup of ACV to it. I poured it all over the twists and scalp, gently squeezed the twists, and lightly towel-dried by squeezing the twists with the towel. Continue air drying.

As the other ladies said, make sure she's not pulling your edges too tight. The twists should be taut, but not painful. I made sure I did a protein treatment before I got the twists. Then, on the day of the install, I washed, deep conditioned, and applied a shea butter mixture to my hair. Synthetic hair can suck moisture from your hair; so I wanted to create a barrier around my hair shaft from the get-go.

3.Some people use gel when doing the twists, show I say 'no' to that?
It really doesn't hurt, nor is it absolutely necessary. Generally, the gel is used towards the end of the twist to help bind the ends. Your own hair length should end at least a couple of inches before the end of the synthetic hair; so you'll get minimal gel on your own hair.

It should be dry, but thoroughly moisturized and conditioned.

The following questions are less time sensitive, but significant nonetheless:

5.I want to keep it in for 8 weeks, how do I keep it moisturized without adding buildup that will lead to matted/dread hair after removal?
Reference http://growafrohairlong.com/ for detailed info on keeping your twists moisturized and for info on maintenance and maximizing hair growth in braids. In a nutshell, spray a mixture of water and Infusium 23 to the length of the twists (not on the scalp or near the base of the braid). Squeeze gently and go.

6.What's best way to wash my twists and how often? Can I cowash?
When I had twists, I would shampoo my scalp once a week and co-wash once or twice a week. On the shampoo day, I'd focus on my scalp, applying undiluted shampoo directly to my scalp only and massaging thoroughly. To shampoo the twists, I do a shampoo rinse on the twists only (pour very large cup of warm water mixed with about 1/4 shampoo). Squeeze twists to distribute shampoo rinse and thoroughly rinse with water. Then, I'd follow up with a conditioner rinse (a large cup of warm water with about 1/4 cup of conditioner mixed in). Pour the conditioner rinse all over the scalp and twists. Massage your scalp and squeeze your twists to distribute. Rinse thoroughly and go.
On my co-wash days, I'd massage my scalp with water only, loosening up debris. On my twists, I'd pour my conditioner rinse, squeeze, rinse, and go. I'd try to do an ACV rinse once every couple weeks to clarify my scalp and twists.

Last edited:

Incognitus

Wow, thanks for all the info ladies.

It's almost that time and I am just now going to buy my hair, lol. So, what can I do about the ACV rinse? What happens if I don't ACV rinse the synthetic hair first? Well, the hair wont have time to dry (by 1:30pm) unless i use a blow dryer. Any suggestions?

Mook's hair

I cosign everything that missiongirl said.
In addition, you need to use a good braid spray at least every other day.
My preference is African Royal (not African Pride) there is a difference. Royal has a metallic gold color top and gold on their label, they are black owned and have better herbal ingredients. Pride will make your hair sticky and just generally in not good to buy.

The product is in a spray bottle every other evening, lightly spray your scalp and the length of the twists down to where your real hair stops. You are not saturating them with this just lightly misting all over, your hair and your scalp.

for the first week I do not suggest washing them. By week 2, there are 2 things I usually do. The goal is to not wet the length of the hair. Hopefully you have one of those shower heads that you can hold in your hand.

Use one hand to hold the length of the twists straight up in the air. Use the other hand to hold the shower head close to your scalp down at the roots of your hair. let the water run all over your scalp without it running down and drenching the twists.

Also you can dilute some ACV or some mild shampoo in water and drench a wash cloth. Use it to gently clean your scalp in between the parts.

Using the braid spray should keep you from needing to wash it frequently.

That is how it works for me.

When you are getting closer to the end when you are considering taking them out. then, go crazy. wash the full length of hair as often as you want.

faithVA

Thanks ladies. I'm buying my hair tomorrow AM and getting it twisted at 1pm. So, I'm going to do the ACV rinse in the am and them blow dry it a little to speed up the drying process.

@faithVA yes, that made perfect sense. I'm doing a DC then roller set tonight so it can be straighter for tomorrow. Should I use any kind of leave in?

Sorry - been gone all day. To answer your question though, I don't put product on my hair before having someone else do it. But I don't know if others do or if it is ok. When I do my own, I do use product on my hair. I can't really give you good advice on this one.

Your hair should be done by now. Hope all went well.

Incognitus

Ok, so I didn't have enough time to rinse the hair with ACV. The style looks decent, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to let it last for 8 weeks--heck, 6 weeks! I initially wanted them smaller, but changed my mind once I was in that styling chair at 9pm (I was simply exhausted from class). I also unsure if I wanted the "crinkly" look, so I had them only dip the ends in the hot water. I figured I could always change my mind later and do it myself.

The ladies listened to me and did not braid tightly. It's secure, and I was still able to sleep comfortably that same evening. I brought my own hair supplies (comb, etc), and thank goodness I did. The girl had one of those combs that reminds me of the old south, lol. You know, that comb where the teeth size decreases and there are about 4 or 5 teeth missing. She actually had the nerve to try and detangle/comb out my hair with that thing! To make matters worse, she started from the root and just "pulled" outward. I was like, wtf-- heck no. Unfortunately, she already did 1 run-through on a chunk of hair in my crown (which already grows slower than the rest), before I could protest. First of all, I had already detangled my hair, and I did a roller set (so it was not tangled). Then she attempted to separate my hair using a rubber band. A rubber band? A rubber band! Seriously now, are people still using and detangling hair with a small-tooth comb from the root down? Seriously?

Anyhow, thanks for all the GREAT advice ladies. I love this forum and the support it provides!

Please feel free to add your 2 cents and tell me how the following regimen (while in twists) looks :look::

* Cowash - 2x week (with watered down condish & not on scalp)

* Shampoo + ACV Rinse 1x biweely

* MT/OCT 2x week (just before cowashes)

* DC 1x week (can I DC w/twists - length only?)

* Condish Spray Mix - Daily (mix of water, Gio DLI, Jojoba oil....OR.... Kimmaytube's Mix)

Yes, I was bored (even though I should be studying) and went a little crazy with paint....

Last edited:

faithVA

They look really cute, especially pulled back. I think you will enjoy them. They will definitely give you a break while you are in school.

As far as regimen its hard to say since our hair is different. Unless you are working out a lot, not sure you need to cowash 2x a week.

Please feel free to add your 2 cents and tell me how the following regimen (while in twists) looks :

Keep it as simple as possible since you are working with extension hair.

Water down your shampoo and following it with conditioner and then moisturize. I think 1x a week is good unless you just have an oily scalp. (just my opinion). If you just want to add moisture during the week you can rinse with water and moisturize. I usually don't DC but once if at all in extensions because getting the DC to my actual hair is pretty complicated and don't wan't to waist product.

I know some others will chime in based on their experience.

transitioning?

I think it will get frizzy if u wash to often.also the twist will slip

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

MizzBrown

I dont know about all that washing either.

I washed mine weekly the first time I got twists and takedown was a nightmare. The water caused hair to tangle and get matted. I don't use any water-based product (braid spray, etc) on the braids if I want a pleasant takedown.

I'd find some dry shampoo or use a method to only clean your scalp. I use the Taliah Waajid Moisture Clenz and I bought a toothbrush just for my scalp. I spray the toothbrush with the cleanser and use it to scrub the parts in my scalp.

It feels SO GOOD when I do this. Because it hurts me to not wash my hair normally.

That way i'm not getting the braids wet and not making my scalp look too fuzzy. With human hair, you can do whatever your want but with Synthetic, care is a little different.

I also tried to not use so many heavy oils on scalp too b/c as time went by, it was harder to scrub off my scalp due to build-up. Scrubbing sessions increase when you keep oiling your scalp.

Incognitus

Hmm....so how are all these women keeping up with moisturizing and growth aids while in braids or twists? Does it make a difference that I only plan on keeping them in for about 6 weeks?

RubyWoo

Doing too much to your hair(especially the base of the twist/braid) while in extensions will just make takedown a lot more challenging. I usually keep my hair moist with braidspray (daily) and deep conditining (just the braids, not the scalp) every two week. The crown and glory method really works as it keeps your hair soft and strong. I encourage you to check out the link provided by another poster.

I also don't use growth aids because there is no need to. That also contributes to more build up. I also wouldn't recommend frequent washing in kinky twists for the same reasons stated above.

Incognitus

Thank you to all who previously responded to my thread. :drunk::drunk:

Overall, I was not too happy with my twists. In less than 1 week, some of the twists were already loose and coming out!

Anyhow, it's been 6 weeks and I whimsically decided to remove the twist. For the most part, I followed everyone's advice and did not use too much product in my hair. I also did not apply anything to the scalp. Actually, I didn't even apply my leave-in spray as much as I initially planned. I washed once with Gio Tea Tree shampoo and cowashed twice. I decided to remove the twists when a strand loosened and I noticed a small bunch of hairs that literally came off at the root (white bulb at end). I do not mean shed hair. The length was still twisted in the twist. So basically, some of my hair was pulled out at the root. Keep in mind that the twists were nowhere near tight or pulling at my scalp. I think this occurred because the braider used too much synthetic hair for my thin hair. Sadly, this damage occurred in the front (edges), a place where my hair and scalp are quite fragile. It hurt to see the damage.

Okay, so I'm almost done removing the synthetic twists and I'm attempting to dust as I remove them. I am noticing MANY split ends (small) and SSK. Many of the split ends start extremely high, meaning the one strand with a very small piece sticking out about an inch high. As a matter of fact, if I were to cut some of my split ends, I'd be trimming as much as 1-2 inches in some sections. What can I do?

So, now what's my next course of action? Wash with Gio Tea Tree then DC with honey mix? Protein treatment? Or...? Should I add moisture or protein?

MzSwift

I always follow my extension take down w/clarifying. Then I do a protein tx and a moisturizing DC. Afterwards I either box braid or twist my hair and leave it alone while it "readjusts" to being out of the extensions.

ETA: After detangling and removing shed hair, I proceed w/the wash and DC. HTH!

shunemite

I agree with the advice about doing a protein DC and moisturizing DC. I don't really have anything to add to that other than make sure your hair is thoroughly detangled.

Also to comment on your losing edges, you hit the nail on the head with the "too much synthetic hair per natural hair". The way I usually combat that I wear my braids in a middle part, never pulled back. Very rarely do I pull my braids into a ponytail. Also, as the hair is braided at the edges I have the braider make very large parts of my own hair but make a small braid with it (if that makes sense). The result is that the way my edges are braided is so spaced out they are not presentable, but they are hidden anyway. And I don't get those "braid hanging on a string of hair" effect.

The other thing about edges is that my edges don't like very long braids. I think it's too heavy or something. It's better for me that even if the rest of the braids are long, the edges are braided short.

faithVA

This may not help because my hair may be different than yours. I am 4a/b natural, with dense but thin strands, heavy shedding. My hair does not like protein.

I mist my hair with water and spray my hair wil oil several days before the take down. I want to make sure my hair is moisturized and the oil helps the extensions slip out easier without taking my hair with it.

After removing the extensions, if my hair feels dry I spray with water and coconut oil and baggy (overnight if I can). Then I detangle several times to remove all the shed hair.

I don't shampoo my hair right after braids because if it doesn't have enough moisture in it, the shampoo can cause it to matt or become even drier. So I cowash it and deep condition it.

I will moisturize it for the week and then shampoo and DC again the following week.

Some of your hair issues with the extensions may have come from not keeping your hair moisturized the same as you would have when it was loose. It still needed to be moisturized on a daily or every other day basis - especially the ends.

Like I said my hair is different so this may not work for you.

Incognitus

This may not help because my hair may be different than yours. I am 4a/b natural, with dense but thin strands, heavy shedding. My hair does not like protein.

I mist my hair with water and spray my hair wil oil several days before the take down. I want to make sure my hair is moisturized and the oil helps the extensions slip out easier without taking my hair with it.

After removing the extensions, if my hair feels dry I spray with water and coconut oil and baggy (overnight if I can). Then I detangle several times to remove all the shed hair.

I don't shampoo my hair right after braids because if it doesn't have enough moisture in it, the shampoo can cause it to matt or become even drier. So I cowash it and deep condition it.

I will moisturize it for the week and then shampoo and DC again the following week.

Some of your hair issues with the extensions may have come from not keeping your hair moisturized the same as you would have when it was loose. It still needed to be moisturized on a daily or every other day basis - especially the ends.

Like I said my hair is different so this may not work for you.

GREAT IDEA! I never thought of that, yet I always encountered issues when shampooing my hair after any kind of extension....

faithVA

GREAT IDEA! I never thought of that, yet I always encountered issues when shampooing my hair after any kind of extension....

It may be too late for this time, but in the future if you haven't shampoo'd your hair in a while, shampoo your hair a week before take down. This way you at least get your scalp clean and your hair somewhat clean. Then moisturize, moisturize, moisturize that week. Then do what I mentioned before to take the twists out. That way your scalp feels somewhat clean but you won't have to worry about matting.

I learned this the hard way. You never want to let your hair lose moisture no matter what style you are doing or what step in your regimen you are doing. If the step will cause you to lose moisture, then it needs to be skipped or modified.