Need Suggestions a good color for my complexion

Country gal

Ladies, I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of being natural. I am really considering coloring my hair. ANy recommendations on a nice color for my complexion. My hair color is currently a dark brown/black color. Should I get highlights or coloring my whole hair. In my pic below and avatar, you should get a good sense of my hair coloring. I don't want a color too bright that all the focus is on the hair. I want a sexy, hot color but not loud.

Dark and lovely Rich Auburn #374

374.jpg

Last edited:
I think I would like a spicy red on you as well. You don't want to go toward the carrot red, or the burgandy. The spicy red on that box would look nice. I would star with highlights, until you're sure of what you want. To turn up the intensity, go for more highlighting
(to cover more strands) rather than the entire head. It helps during the growing out phase to avoid that demarcation line of red/dark brown.

Country gal said:
Ladies, I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of being natural. I am really considering coloring my hair. ANy recommendations on a nice color for my complexion. My hair color is currently a dark brown/black color. Should I get highlights or coloring my whole hair. In my pic below and avatar, you should get a good sense of my hair coloring. I don't want a color too bright that all the focus is on the hair. I want a sexy, hot color but not loud.
Welll I don't have any suggestions to you other than a rinse, but I just wanted to say your hair is so beautiful and long, and it's only your one year anniversary??? WOW!!!! Oh yea, I agree with going for a hot red color.

BerrySweet said:
Welll I don't have any suggestions to you other than a rinse, but I just wanted to say your hair is so beautiful and long, and it's only your one year anniversary??? WOW!!!! Oh yea, I agree with going for a hot red color.

Thank you. I think frequent conditioner washes and lots of moisturizing products have helped my hair tremendously. It actually is longer than it appears in my pics. I get a lot of shrinkage. When I do my twists they really show my lenght.

melodee said:
I think I would like a spicy red on you as well. You don't want to go toward the carrot red, or the burgandy. The spicy red on that box would look nice. I would star with highlights, until you're sure of what you want. To turn up the intensity, go for more highlighting
(to cover more strands) rather than the entire head. It helps during the growing out phase to avoid that demarcation line of red/dark brown.

Good point about the demarcation line. My natural hair is so dark. I should do highlights so it can be small change.

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I don't like red hair. Maybe a reddish brown color would work. I tend to like the brown colors on dark hair. I like how the asian women have a the brown mixed with their very dark hair.

I would suggest going to a wig shop to try on different colored wigs first. This will at least give you an idea of what looks good with your complexion. There is nothing worse than being stuck with a hair color you don't like! :eek:

Last edited:
tal said:
I would suggest going to a wig shop to try on different colored wigs first. This will at least give you an idea of what looks good with your complexion. There is nothing worse than being stuck with a hair color you don't like! :eek:

That's a good idea. I need someone to come with me. The asian lady will just tell me everything looks good so I can give up the money.

I think I will go to Aveda and get a senior student to apply the color. I am thinking of doing three colors at a time in a layered look. I want to do like a lighter color on top maybe a warm brown, than a copper red in the middle and a darker redish brown on the bottom.

Your idea sounds pretty good, the 3 layer colors, have you ever watched Ambush Makeover, the black woman on there has a pretty color kind of like that.

Country gal said:
I think I will go to Aveda and get a senior student to apply the color. I am thinking of doing three colors at a time in a layered look. I want to do like a lighter color on top maybe a warm brown, than a copper red in the middle and a darker redish brown on the bottom.

That sounds like a plan, Aveda gets down with the coloring! please post pics!!

I will. I am scared though. I hope they will pull it off. my last experience with color wasn't so great.

Back