New 2006 Challenge: No Extensions or Braids

kristina

Hey, anyone interested in joining me? It's going to be sooooo hard for me because I'm so hair lazy and braids look good on me but after this experience I'm going to have to just say no.
Reasons:
I'm still in finals week but itching (literally-lol) to take out my human hair braids. I had been rebraiding them but got super lazy and stopped. The few I did take out reveal that my hair is still drying out (human hair doesn't help as much as I had hoped) and it just feels so thin and brittle. I should have used in infusion- I didn't because I thought the protein was drying out my hair. Oh and I had to cut one where my natural hair fused in to a dred at the ends-usually I can salvage my hair from all the matting. And yeah, I'll admit, I was half-assed about spraying my hair at times. But still. So I'm giving them up because I think for me, braids and my inevitable hair neglect are hindering my goals. Plus, I'm never going to learn to style my hair well if I spend half the year in braids.
And the second reason why I want to give them up is because I've realized that I'm using braids as a crutch to avoid dealing with my natural hair full on. Like I always go back to braids because having long swinging extensions makes me feel prettier. It's a real conformist mentality that I need to try to confront.
So anyways, don't know if anyone else is down- I'm many of you have no problem refusing the lure fake hair but the commitment is super simple- no adding extensions of any kind (twists extensions, weaves, etc) for the whole year.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I'm in, well, sorta.

I decided to stop weaves and braids a few weeks ago.

But, I have trouble putting my hair up, though, so I put in my 2 time saving (it was 3 but my hair has gotten too thick) clip-ons so that I can put my hair up for work and still have some kind of style.

Hey baby steps! :)

I do have to deal with my hair, though, and I am learning a lot about my hair and loving it!! I feel the same way you do. I was so afraid of not having my braids and weaves. But, I have quickly gotten over that!! I cannot wait until I have enough length to put my own hair up so that I can get rid of my clip-ons, as well.

Can I still join with my 2 clip-ons ? :look:

HoneyDew

No, they are not. I was afraid to use them at 1st, but they actually protect my hair which is good for winter.

My personal goal has been to wear them until I can put my own hair up. At the rate I am going, I think I will be able to by my b-day, July 21 (fingers crossed).

SO COUNT ME IN!

kristina

Yay!
Well I'm new to creating challenges but here's the deal. I'm planning to update my album regularly next year to keep me honest. Beyond that I guess we can update here every month w/o the fake stuff?

There are two objectives for me
1. letting go of the fake hair crutch (must wear it to feel pretty, presentable, etc)
2. avoid damages mishaps that can happen as a result of overdependance.

I'm personally going cold turkey but anyone can join so long as the effort is made to the two objectives.

P

patient1

I'm in. I think I posted somewhere about giving up the extensions. I was definitely talking to one of my friends about this last week. I put in a set of kinky twists and took them out again within a week. I just wasn't feeling it though I got lots of compliments.

So, back to combcoils and rocking my fro. I was also inspired by someone on np.com who said she wanted to enjoy all the phases of her hair as it grew out. I don't intend to cut my hair again (it's been over a decade of natural hair with length and cuts and length and cuts) so I might as well enjoy this final round.

My objectives are a bit different cause I've never worn extensions a lot or sustained any damage. Nonetheless, I don't want to risk any damage and I want to wear my own hair.

p1

isawstars

Yes I am definitely in!

During the thanksgiving holiday I got braids and had to take those suckers out by the 2nd day because they were so tight i was in pain :( My scalp was extremely sore, so now I am now afraid of those African Braiders. lol :lol:

loonatick

Well im a bit ahead with this, but i stopped wearing extensions since March/April. I have always worn them all my life and never my own hair out. Purely because both me and my mum didnt know how to style it otherwise. :(

This was also the point when i decided i was going to grow my hair out, for the very first time! and here i am 8 months later and this is the longest my hair has EVER been. :grin:

We can do it ladies, we really do not need the fake hair as much as you think. A year ago i would have been the first one to say, you would never catch me without my hair "done" Although its fine for the occasional special style, but not as a crutch , like you already said. I might as well put as much effort as i do putting in extensions, as looking after my own hair.

P

patient1

Alright, alright. I spoke to soon. I was gonna edit out my previous comments and front like I neva eva heard of this challenge, let alone joined it.

I'm a waffler. Suddenly, I don't care about the phases of growth. I don't wanna have to do anything to my hair. So. . .I'm thinking about throwing in a quick set of braids or twists.

Man, I miss the length when I could two strand twists my own hair...

P1, (a bit impatient and undisciplined)

tallnomad

I just posted this in another 2006 routine post also.

definitely like the natural approach to this thread!

I am growing out a texturizer.

I plan on double strand twisting my own hair about every two weeks, but washing about every three days (or just once a week, perhaps).

I use UBH products and Cathy believes in giving textured hair as much moisture as possible. To reduce frizz, I'm going to wear a net while washing my hair with conditioner. I think I might mix conditioner, lemon juice and water putting those in a bottle and then spraying on my hair to avoid a bulk of conditioner getting caught between the twists thus making it hard to rinse out fully.

Then I'll spray the protein deep conditioner to my scalp and then to the rest of hair and ends.

I'll sit under the dryer with deep conditioner for about 15 minutes, go back in shower to rinse and then either apply rinse out conditioner or just immediately apply the UBH moisturizing cream to ends or spray the Dew moisturizer.

Also plan on using the MTG (picking it up tomorrow).

I pray this plan will work!

kristina

Update! Update! Update!
I've been out of braids since pre x-mas and since I washed out my puffy flat iron- I've been wearing box braids done with my own hair. I missing the feeling of having hair on my back- my box braids are shoulder length with my shrinkage but I'm staying strong.
How is everyone else doing?
Also, anyone else is free to join the challenge.

HoneyDew

patient1 said:
Alright, alright. I spoke to soon. I was gonna edit out my previous comments and front like I neva eva heard of this challenge, let alone joined it.

I'm a waffler. Suddenly, I don't care about the phases of growth. I don't wanna have to do anything to my hair. So. . .I'm thinking about throwing in a quick set of braids or twists.

Man, I miss the length when I could two strand twists my own hair...

P1, (a bit impatient and undisciplined)

I feel like you. I am going on interviews for a new job (my company made cutbacks and I left with only my dignity and 2 months severance pay :(). Anyway, I just don't feel like dealing with my hair right-now. I am tired. But I already have and interview to go on next week. I have been loving my hair these days, but I could really use some help to get me through this. Sadly, I may be losing this challenge.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I think I will join you ladies. I have been back and forth about this no braids and weaves thing and this will give me the encouragement I need to stay away. Now, if I could just put my hair in a decent bun that would help out a lot!

MzOptimistic

Count me in....I can use clip in extensions right? lol.....I joined 12-11-05 and I want to grow my hair without braids or extensions. The reason for this is.....If I get braids or extensions I would not be able to DC my hair weekly or do CW's or deep condition my ends....Prior to joining I nevered washed my hair until I got my next retouch which was usually every 6 weeks.... and deep conditioning my hair pleeease I nevered....but now I wash my hair weekly and CW twice a week and DC weekly...I love washing my hair now:grin: I don't know why I was so scurred before....well actually I do know....when I use to wash my hair I could never get it back soft and shiny like the salon it would be dry and dull looking...but thanks to the ladies here when I wash my hair it's so soft and manageable even with the NG and all.....My challenge for the year is going to be clip in extensions and buns......I'm definitely in....

Tanya

kristina

Yay new recruits! So glad to have more people join in. And yes, I think clip-ons are okay if absolutely necessary but I personally am going cold turkey.

I'm still fake hair free, yeah! I'm still sporting same tiny twists and I'm trying to keep them in for the rest of the month. I'm not feeling any urge to go back to fake hair. Since I'm back in school, I'm dealing with the 'oh you cut your hair comments!?' but I'm feeling confident and attractive without the hair down my back so I'm happy. Plus I can't wait to try a variety of new styles. I think I might try to get a dominican blowout last week- stay tuned.

Oh and Honeydew-no worries, sad that you can't participate but obviously you know what's the higher priority. I wish you the best of luck- I've been there.

HoneyDew

kristina said:
Yay new recruits! So glad to have more people join in. And yes, I think clip-ons are okay if absolutely necessary but I personally am going cold turkey.

I'm still fake hair free, yeah! I'm still sporting same tiny twists and I'm trying to keep them in for the rest of the month. I'm not feeling any urge to go back to fake hair. Since I'm back in school, I'm dealing with the 'oh you cut your hair comments!?' but I'm feeling confident and attractive without the hair down my back so I'm happy. Plus I can't wait to try a variety of new styles. I think I might try to get a dominican blowout last week- stay tuned.

Oh and Honeydew-no worries, sad that you can't participate but obviously you know what's the higher priority. I wish you the best of luck- I've been there.

I'm still in. I did get a weave put in last Saturday and then had it removed the same day. :ohwell: I think I needed to do that. It confirmed that I did not want a weave anyway.

I hated it and missed my hair.

kristina

HoneyDew said:
I'm still in. I did get a weave put in last Saturday and then had it removed the same day. :ohwell: I think I needed to do that. It confirmed that I did not want a weave anyway.

I hated it and missed my hair.

Cool. Wow, that's some dedication. Your hair looks nice in the siggie btw.

NYRICAN1

I want to try this challenge too I grew my hair from neck length to past shoulder length with the help of weaves and braids but am a little afraid of getting them because of my thinning edges which I just got back with lots of tlc and extending the time between relaxers. My stylist insists on relaxing my hair every 6 weeks since she says my hair is very fine and starts breaking like you would not believe but I insist on waiting at least 8-9 weeks with the help of conditioner washes and little manipulation using buns . good luck ladies:)

P

patient1

Just wanted to bump you all up and offer some praise and encouragement!!!

p1

starz

Count me in. I think braids may be the cause of these crazy splits up the hair shaft that I have in some areas. Also the last set of box braids that I had kept matting in some spots, despite my rebraiding in those areas. And even with the use of my trusted Sta-Sof-Fro spray and Wonder 8 Oil, my hair did not seem to stay moisturized, especially after being washed. I didn't see the growth that I usually get from wearing braids. So I'm glad to take a break from braids.

HoneyDew

Ok, I know at the start of this challenge I said that I wanted to wear my clip-ins, but I am happy to say that I am finally wearing my hair out w/o anything.
I have done it all week, actually.

My BF of 2 years has NEVER seen my hair w/o braids or extensions - until now.

It feels so good and I feel so free!! I have gotten so many compliments and family members ask what I am doing to my hair.

I thought this would never happen. I have had such a hard time accepting my hair. I cannot tell you how bad it has been for me.

Now, I am wearing it out and loving how it blows in the wind and how it feels to have him put his hands in my hair. It is also saving time because I am not trying to style or hide tracks or clips.

I am so happy.

hottopic

O.K. I was just writting about this the other day. Sign me up. I am tired of braids and weave....(well not that tired of weave). The only thing I keep thinking about is what's going to happen when I reach week 10-12. Because I planned to stretch for 4 months. So this should be intresting and a learning experience.

kristina

HoneyDew said:
Ok, I know at the start of this challenge I said that I wanted to wear my clip-ins, but I am happy to say that I am finally wearing my hair out w/o anything.
I have done it all week, actually.

My BF of 2 years has NEVER seen my hair w/o braids or extensions - until now.

It feels so good and I feel so free!! I have gotten so many compliments and family members ask what I am doing to my hair.

I thought this would never happen. I have had such a hard time accepting my hair. I cannot tell you how bad it has been for me.

Now, I am wearing it out and loving how it blows in the wind and how it feels to have him put his hands in my hair. It is also saving time because I am not trying to style or hide tracks or clips.

I am so happy.

I'm so happy for you Honeydew. And I can relate. Until now, barely anyone at my school had seen me without braids and I was kinda paranoid about showing my hair. Aside from a few "you cut your hair" comments *eyeroll*, it's been great. I've received many compliments and it's kinda feels like they mean more when you keep it real. So I'm quite happy so far as well. Besides I have soooooo many thing I want to try with my hair.

HoneyDew

kristina said:
Besides I have soooooo many thing I want to try with my hair.

ME TOO! That is the part I am excited about now. I just cannot wait until I get 3 or 4 more inches. I will really have a lot more I can do! :)

_lovelyness

I'd love to join. I've been a faithful and addicted braid wearer for so long (i'm even wearing braids right now, tho' i'm in the process of removing them)!!
I mean there was a year when I did nothing but that. Put them in, take them out, and put them back in straight away !!!
Yes it's a crutch and sometimes I wish I could get rid of it!
But I can't style my hair to save my life. My hair is almost at shoulder blade lenght, and It's like...I'm afraid of it or something. a week or 2 after I relax it, I'm already in hurry to put it back in braid ASAP. I just don't know how to deal with it, and any attempts to make it look stylish always seem to fail (I know practice makes perfect but i'm sick of trying to do a bantu, braidout or twistout, and ending up putting all the hair in a bun, becuz it looks a hot mess)
what a shame ! lol !
Also, I have the impression that my hair grows more when I'm in braids, and I'd really like to reach bra-strap level some day.
ladies, I will seriously need all the encouragement and tips I can get.
This is going to be hard but I'm willing to give it a try !