New 2006 Challenge: No Extensions or Braids

HoneyDew

_lovelyness said:
I'd love to join. I've been a faithful and addicted braid wearer for so long (i'm even wearing braids right now, tho' i'm in the process of removing them)!!
I mean there was a year when I did nothing but that. Put them in, take them out, and put them back in straight away !!!
Yes it's a crutch and sometimes I wish I could get rid of it!
But I can't style my hair to save my life. My hair is almost at shoulder blade lenght, and It's like...I'm afraid of it or something. a week or 2 after I relax it, I'm already in hurry to put it back in braid ASAP. I just don't know how to deal with it, and any attempts to make it look stylish always seem to fail (I know practice makes perfect but i'm sick of trying to do a bantu, braidout or twistout, and ending up putting all the hair in a bun, becuz it looks a hot mess)
what a shame ! lol !
Also, I have the impression that my hair grows more when I'm in braids, and I'd really like to reach bra-strap level some day.
ladies, I will seriously need all the encouragement and tips I can get.
This is going to be hard but I'm willing to give it a try !

I am reading your post and it is as if I wrote it myself. I have been so afraid to get away from braids. Well, I got a few weaves last year because I knew I was searching for something that was more "me".

I think I have finally come to peace with my hair and it is stilla work in progress.

We can all help each other.

One thing that I had to be careful of was manipulation in trying to find a style because I was not used to my hair. I started to think I was doing more damage trying to make myself look decent.

I actually posted for some help here because of my discouragement.

Are you relaxed or natural?

kristina

bumping for any new takers and for any updates.
My update- all is well- been play with wash n' pony puff styles at the moment.

hottopic

I am out...Reason: Because I am going through alot and my hair will suffer. I don't want my hair to suffer.

mscounselor

Im at 15 weeks post relaxer and getting tempted to get my own hair cornrowed Alicia Keys style for like 2 or 3 weeks. I dont know y'all. Im getting tired of the rod/flexirod sets and straight hair is too much off an upkeep with layers and ng.
***praying for an intervention***

HoneyDew

I know it is not always easy. I miss my easy-to-take-care-of braids.

But, I am still hanging in there. One reason is because I am terrified of others handling my hair right now. IF it weren't for that reason alone, this would be harder for me.

I was also getting tired of trying to maintain styles over night, but hat has recently been solved as well. So, I am still hanging on to the challenge.

I hope I can keep it going when I start working again. I got laid off early January so I have had more time to deal with my hair. It has been nice, but i need to go back to work here soon.

I just hope that I can keep it up when I start back working. :ohwell:

mika vs sasha

I've been extention and braid free for about 9 months. I wish you ladies the best of luck. It's definately worth it in the long run!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I have been braid and weave free for about 8 months. I can't take it too much longer. I think I am going to break the challenge and put in a weave for the summer. I would like to give my hair a break and retain some length. If I don't see it, I won't cut it!!

P

patient1

I might be back in. My Kojak from July/Aug. 05 has grown in sufficiently. I use braids for convenience like a lot of others here. My edges are healthy, hair healthy, etc. This year marks the most I've worn extensions. I was challenging myself to keep them in until my 8th graders culminated, but I tapped out. I took em out earlier this week. My birthday is on the 8th and for some reason I just DON'T want to bring in my anniversary with fake hair.

Extensions saved a LOT of time because I love to style my own hair and will now return to the twice or thrice a week changeup. I can just feel it coming. I've also used my newly loosed hair as an excuse to buy more products. LOL!

p1

alir0x

I definitely wanna join this challenge!!! This will be a good reminder for me not to do anything crazy to my hair :)

BBF

Count me in.
Braids did a number on my hair, November last year. I'm still nursing back to health and length.:D

Guapa1

When you say braids, do you mean ALL braids, even with no hair added?

I decided to stop putting fake hair in my head, but I've done my own hair in tiny braids and twists, and plan on re braiding the front every month.
Does that mean I'm not in the challenge?

kristina

Guapa1 said:
When you say braids, do you mean ALL braids, even with no hair added?

I decided to stop putting fake hair in my head, but I've done my own hair in tiny braids and twists, and plan on re braiding the front every month.
Does that mean I'm not in the challenge?

Yay- more challenger! And no, I don't include braids w/o hair- in fact I'm living on box braids and braid outs at the moment.

Guapa1

Oh Good! Well, my hair is in tiny box braids at the mo. I'm going to keep them in for the same amount of time I would keep in extensions. Maybe re-do the edges every couple weeks.

princcessnadia

I am definantly in for this challenge I took my extentions out for good on Sunday I have been wearing weaves for over 13 years! I am ready for a new start!

HoneyDew

I have been 8 month without braids and weaves ladies and I think it is time to chill. I need a heat and chemical break so I am going to do Crown and Glory for 6 months. I am actually excited about it.

The time is right, too. I am going away soon, I am starting classes, my son is going to the 7th grade and and I am going tobe getting some renovations to my house. I really do need a break from having to do my hair.

I really needed the past 8 months as a stepping stone. I used to use braids and weaves as a crutch and I thought I would never be able to wear my own hair out.

Now, I feel comfortable enough to use braids as an alternative and not just as my ONLY option.

Thanks for all the help - this was a HUGE HUGE HUGE accomplishment for me!

Last edited: