New Beginnings: Developing a routine

Dragnessa

Hello everyone, Im new here and posted a little blurb in the newbie area. For a lil hair background, for the past 6 years I kept my hair shaved and natural. Basically, the plan was to cut off all the relaxer and grow my hair out natural, but I loved it so much I kept it short, and when I say shaved, I mean my hair never got past maybe quarter of an inch... But I got restless, I miss styling my hair, and I figure if I really cant stand it, I can always just shave it again :p

Anyway, in Sept I started growing my hair out. Everything was going fine until the holidays, I couldnt do anything with it and I was getting frustrated. I figured I was either going to relax it or just cut it again, I went with relaxing it. Two weeks ago, I used a Black & Lovely regular and got what I guess would be called a texturizing effect, because it just loosened up the curls and didnt straighten my hair, which is fine with me. Im at barely over 2" now, so I seem to be going along the 1/2" a month rate pretty alright. Im going to try and hold off for 2 months before doing another relaxer.

My routine and products I use right now is:
Yves Rocher Hamamelis Shampoo
Infusium 23 Moisturizing Conditioner
Frizz Ease Extra Strength Hair Serum
Towel Dry
Frizz Ease Downplay Volume Reducer

If Im doing no heat, then at this point, my hair is pretty curly, I just use my fingers to style it into place. As it dries, the curls lose definition, but at least it doesnt look frizzy. Id like to find a gel or something to hold onto the definition without it looking like a jerri curl (Gah!)

Ill use the Infusium 23 Leave In treatment every day to condition and define my curls again daily if Im not washing my hair that day.

If Im doing heat, then I blow dry
VO5 Miracle Mist heat protector
Use a curling iron all over my hair to smooth it out with a little curl
Frizz Ease Secret Weapon finishing creme
Finger style

I use Secret Weapon daily if Im not washing my hair to keep it smooth. As the days go by, Ill start brushing it to keep it looking neat...Im at day 3 now and its pretty straight and flat now, but theres a slight wave forming at my crown where my hair is starting to revert.

Right now, how often I wash my hair depends on my mood...can be every day or like now now Im wearing it straight, Ill limit it to 3 days. I dont want to handle my hair too much...limiting combing and brushing, mainly just doing finger styling. Also, I dont want to use heat more than 2 or 3 times a month...I did a lot of heat styling up till now cause I was experimenting with what works for me, but I think in general, Ill do no heat unless Im going out on a date or something :grin: I *really* like how my hair feels and I dont want to risk damaging it considering Im starting out so fresh with healthy hair and zero damage.

Ill try to get some pics together of my progress from the start so that you all can see...

Im curious to know what you all think of my routine so far, if you have any suggestions for me, and if you have any kind of hair gel to recommend to keep my curls defined when I do no heat. I really want to keep away from having sticky/hard/greasy feeling hair though.

Thanks for reading through all of this! :D

Dragnessa

Thank you for the welcomes!

Ill check out the fantasia gel BrownSkin... I really just want something so that my curls stay curls even when my hair dries. Right now since its short, theres no weight to hold them down so while its still wet it looks fine, but once its dry it just kinda goes whereever..and its not cute :p

cutiebe2

i don't use gel either but Qhemet's holding gel is natural (no alcohol) so you should go with that.
welcome!!!