Does more frequent washing increase hair growth

Does frequent washing increase hair growth?

• Yes

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 59 40.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anne26

panda
My hair grows less when I don't wash it often. I've always washed it often, but been experimenting stretching washes so I found out about this.

It's not just retention, I could see it in my roots (dyed hair).

MissDarcei

I think it's less about "washing" and more about "watering" your hair. The more often your put water on your hair the more moisture you are giving it obviously and moist hair retains length.

keepithealthy

How does wetting your hair make it grow faster? It just doesn't make any sense to me...

Before this black folks use to believe dirt made their hair grow :lachen:. People use to tell you this with a straight face too. :look:

I agree with the this ^^comment. I could understand wetting your hair for moisture and to keep your scalp clean as to not hinder growth. But I don't see how it can make your hair grow. But I do agree that the scalp stimulation might be beneficial. As far as white people's hair growing faster. 1. Genetics (not everyone's hair grows at the same speed) 2. Straight hair retains better
But I say if you feel if your hair is benefiting from it then don't stop a good thing.

Uniqzoe

I voted unsure but it may actually assist with hair growth due to water being the best moisturizer. However, it would also depend on the practices surrounding the washes gentle treatment vs. tugging and pulling.

betty-boo

I've been reading that frequent washing may help promote hair growth. This used to be said on a lot on this board a while ago.

I also read that frequent washing increases the amount of oxygen to the hair follicle.

This is what the ORS website says:
Poor circulation, lack of stimulation, adverse scalp conditions and clogged follicles can all result in less oxygen to the hair follicle. Scientists have found that people with stunted hair growth have up to 38% less oxygen at the hair's root.

Others have said this is why people with anaemia suffer stunted growth and even hair loss - because there's less blood so there's less oxygen being carried to the hair root. So taking iron to deal with anaemia is important. Exercise is too - as it pumps blood around the body.

Also I remember someone saying here that when you sleep on one side exclusively, this prevents blood flow to that area. In this case, what eventually happens is that this side doesn't grow as fast as the other side.

I don't know - I found it very interesting

But as you've all said, you don't want to over-wash your hair either, which is damaging. I suppose it's about striking a balance that suits you

Lucia

I think it does help keep scalp clean and massaging the scalp stimulates growth but where I think it really shows is in growth retention.
I notice the difference in monthly growth when I CW or mist more often and less often its just obvious Each person is diff but your hair has to get moisture somehow and if you're not washing at least weekly then you've got fabulous moisturizers that work for you.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Is it at all feasible that the constant wetting of the hair causes the strands to stay in a stretched state? I recall when I first joined reading that you ought not to take length check pics with wet hair as your hair is stretched....generally if something is constantly being stretched out it will not bounce back to it's original state after some time....

browneyedgrl

I think it helps. I notice when I get lazy and slack on my washing I tend to shed more. Frequent washing keeps my hair healthy and thick.

levette

How does wetting your hair make it grow faster? It just doesn't make any sense to me...

Before this black folks use to believe dirt made their hair grow :lachen:. People use to tell you this with a straight face too. :look:

I'm not a rocket scientist... but since we as humans are made up around 50% of water. And all living things need water... hmmmm...and we would die without having water directly or indirectly..... maybe it could help with hair growth.

Just a side note... I have a garden and after a good rain, my vegetables have a growth spurt. Not saying that hair is like this but just an observation

silenttullip

It depends... For me I think cowashing for a month gave me faster growth...
It also put my hair up to where it should be moisture wise.
I think it depends on your level of sebum production, how you handle your hair while washing, if you detangle properly etc.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I'm not a rocket scientist... but since we as humans are made up around 50% of water. And all living things need water... hmmmm...and we would die without having water directly or indirectly..... maybe it could help with hair growth.

Just a side note... I have a garden and after a good rain, my vegetables have a growth spurt. Not saying that hair is like this but just an observation

Yeah they aren't related. Hair is dead and veggies are not...

virtuenow

Yeah they aren't related. Hair is dead and veggies are not...
Yes, but our scalps aren't. This is where the hair is coming from (besides, the seed is dead when you plant it in the ground- its the water n good soil that brings life; and furthermore, the growth doesn't come from putting water on the vegetables but water in the ground around the veggies) See below:

I've been reading that frequent washing may help promote hair growth. This used to be said on a lot on this board a while ago.

I also read that frequent washing increases the amount of oxygen to the hair follicle.

This is what the ORS website says:
Poor circulation, lack of stimulation, adverse scalp conditions and clogged follicles can all result in less oxygen to the hair follicle. Scientists have found that people with stunted hair growth have up to 38% less oxygen at the hair's root.

Others have said this is why people with anaemia suffer stunted growth and even hair loss - because there's less blood so there's less oxygen being carried to the hair root. So taking iron to deal with anaemia is important. Exercise is too - as it pumps blood around the body.

Also I remember someone saying here that when you sleep on one side exclusively, this prevents blood flow to that area. In this case, what eventually happens is that this side doesn't grow as fast as the other side.

I don't know - I found it very interesting

But as you've all said, you don't want to over-wash your hair either, which is damaging. I suppose it's about striking a balance that suits you

This makes sense on the growth aspect! So a boost in growth and retention, I can't argue (or complain about) that :yep:

Last edited:

Nonie

Is it at all feasible that the constant wetting of the hair causes the strands to stay in a stretched state? I recall when I first joined reading that you ought not to take length check pics with wet hair as your hair is stretched....generally if something is constantly being stretched out it will not bounce back to it's original state after some time....

Nix08 :giggle: Water doesn't stretch my hair. :giggle:

This is my dripping wet hair:

:lachen: So if I were relying on water to stretch my hair, I'd never know how long my hair really was. :giggle:

Nonie

I don't think "watering hair" would make it grow or not watering it make it not grow. The Himba women, yes I admire that tribe, do not have easy access to water and you don't see their hair withering and dying like a thirsting plant. Also one of my good friends in high school had longest hair in our dorm and she washed her hair once a year. We washed our hair every two weeks at least--maybe every week--but I personally never saw my hair grow beyond 3-4 inches. And the theory that hair grows when you don't wash it didn't just come from thin air; homeless people who don't get to wash their hair had been seen having longer hair than folks on the forum struggling to grow hair.

So again, it's like has been said, if growth or retention seems better with frequent washes, it's because stimulation of scalp from washing means better blood circulation and thus better delivery of nutrients and oxygen to follicles and removal of toxins and waste from follicles. Having a clean scalp means healthier follicles due to less build up of germs and dirt that can clog pores and cause dermatitis. More frequent washing means improved moisture in hair for someone whose hair wasn't getting enough moisture until s/he started the frequent washes. You also have to remember that along with this change of regimen has probably come a whole new lifestyle: exercise, eating right, better handling of your hair...so don't discount those positive changes when giving kudos to what's made your hair better.

kizzylonghair

Its not frequent WASHING that increases growth...

Its the frequent watering (Moisture), Conditioning, Strengthing (Protein)
rubbing of scalp (improving circulation) that aids the growth

Increasing the amount of times I wash my hair a week from 1 to up to 3 has skyrocketed, the length, condition of my hair:grin:

fivetimestwo

Perhaps the frequent washing provides more scalp stimulation (circulation) and this may be why you seem to be noticing more growth.

ITA with this :yep: I can recall a time when I was washing/cowashing more frequently and would let the shower spray massage mainly the front of my head for 5 minutes or so (tilting my head backward). I soon noticed that my much slower growing front was catching up quickly to the hair in the back, which had never happened before.

I don't cowash frequently anymore, but I still manipulate my scalp on a regular basis. It works for me.

dyh080

I don't think "watering hair" would make it grow or not watering it make it not grow. The Himba women, yes I admire that tribe, do not have easy access to water and you don't see their hair withering and dying like a thirsting plant. Also one of my good friends in high school had longest hair in our dorm and she washed her hair once a year. We washed our hair every two weeks at least--maybe every week--but I personally never saw my hair grow beyond 3-4 inches. And the theory that hair grows when you don't wash it didn't just come from thin air; homeless people who don't get to wash their hair had been seen having longer hair than folks on the forum struggling to grow hair.

So again, it's like has been said, if growth or retention seems better with frequent washes, it's because stimulation of scalp from washing means better blood circulation and thus better delivery of nutrients and oxygen to follicles and removal of toxins and waste from follicles. Having a clean scalp means healthier follicles due to less build up of germs and dirt that can clog pores and cause dermatitis. More frequent washing means improved moisture in hair for someone whose hair wasn't getting enough moisture until s/he started the frequent washes. You also have to remember that along with this change of regimen has probably come a whole new lifestyle: exercise, eating right, better handling of your hair...so don't discount those positive changes when giving kudos to what's made your hair better.

I'm curious to know more about the girl who washed her hair once a year.
Do you know what her daily regimen was? How did she avoid bad smelling, itchy hair? Did it look dirty?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
ITA with this :yep: I can recall a time when I was washing/cowashing more frequently and would let the shower spray massage mainly the front of my head for 5 minutes or so (tilting my head backward). I soon noticed that my much slower growing front was catching up quickly to the hair in the back, which had never happened before.

I don't cowash frequently anymore, but I still manipulate my scalp on a regular basis. It works for me.

Maybe this is the answer to it....the force of the water is providing a scalp massage. I think you've hit the nail on the head fivetimestwo!

Nonie

I'm curious to know more about the girl who washed her hair once a year.
Do you know what her daily regimen was? How did she avoid bad smelling, itchy hair? Did it look dirty?

LOL @dyh080 (BTW, if I would not have returned to this thread, I would not have known you addressed me at all. Please type @ immediately before the name of the person you're asking a question. When you do this, they get an alert that lets them know they have been mentioned (addressed) and a link in the alert brings them to the post where they are needed. Notice, there should be no space between @ and the person's name.)

I've shared about her before. Her hair wasn't dirty and she didn't have bugs in it either. It just smelled like whatever grease she used in it; not musty/musky.

Basically her hair stayed stretched all year coz she wore it in 3 plaits. Every now and then, she'd clean it with grease. She'd part a narrow section of her hair. She'd apply a lot of grease to that section. Then she'd take cotton wool and feed it onto the teeth of a pick/comb (like the metal teeth pick) in layers. Think of rolling out a sheet of cotton wool and tearing off a section that is kinda square. Then folding the ends over so you don't have that loose fraying section out. You then push that neat folded rectangle through the teeth of your comb to the base of the teeth. She put enough so that when she combs her hair, the cotton slides over her hair wiping the grease and dirt from the hair. The cotton would turn brown, and she'd turn it over and use the other side that's still clean. She'd repeat till all she was getting was clean cotton. She'd also make sure her scalp is getting "wiped" too by this method.

I've had that method used on me too, which is why I know it so well. When I was a kid and either ill or we had a shortage of water (I truly don't the remember the reason, but my older cousins would use that method on me.) I suppose if you straightened your hair and didn't want to wash it, you could use this method. *shrug* I personally love washing my hair coz I love how the water feels and I love how tingly my head feels after a massage under running warm water. But yeah, if ever there was a shortage of water or a reason I couldn't wash my hair, I'd not hesitate to use this method. It is better than never cleaning your hair at all.

Her hair was long and soft. I think she was 3C/4A or 4A.

Last edited:

keepithealthy

LOL @dyh080 (BTW, if I would not have returned to this thread, I would not have known you addressed me at all. Please type @ immediately before the name of the person you're asking a question. When you do this, they get an alert that lets them know they have been mentioned (addressed) and a link in the alert brings them to the post where they are needed. Notice, there should be no space between @ and the person's name.)

I've shared about her before. Her hair wasn't dirty and she didn't have bugs in it either. It just smelled like whatever grease she used in it; not musty/musky.

Basically her hair stayed stretched all year coz she wore it in 3 plaits. Every now and then, she'd clean it with grease. She'd part a narrow section of her hair. She'd apply a lot of grease to that section. Then she'd take cotton wool and feed it onto the teeth of a pick/comb (like the metal teeth pick) in layers. Think of rolling out a sheet of cotton wool and tearing off a section that is kinda square. Then folding the ends over so you don't have that loose fraying section out. You then push that neat folded rectangle through the teeth of your comb to the base of the teeth. She put enough so that when she combs her hair, the cotton slides over her hair wiping the grease and dirt from the hair. The cotton would turn brown, and she'd turn it over and use the other side that's still clean. She'd repeat till all she was getting was clean cotton. She'd also make sure her scalp is getting "wiped" too by this method.

I've had that method used on me too, which is why I know it so well. When I was a kid and either ill or we had a shortage of water (I truly don't the remember the reason, but my older cousins would use that method on me.) I suppose if you straightened your hair and didn't want to wash it, you could use this method. *shrug* I personally love washing my hair coz I love how the water feels and I love how tingly my head feels after a massage under running warm water. But yeah, if ever there was a shortage of water or a reason I couldn't wash my hair, I'd not hesitate to use this method. It is better than never cleaning your hair at all.

Her hair was long and soft. I think she was 3C/4A or 4A.

....interesting....

levette

Maybe this is the answer to it....the force of the water is providing a scalp massage. I think you've hit the nail on the head fivetimestwo!

That is interesting. I plan to stick with my cowashing even though this week I am skipping it because I rollerset on Sunday and have been wearing it in a side swept style

belldandy

i dont know... some people end up with thicker, fuller hair when they wash infrequently...i am unsure. i cowash everyday because my hair likes it but i feel like maybe its too much sometimes.

Anne26

panda
For me it is the washing, not the watering. I get a fungus infection if I don't wash enough, which for me is a lot. It's simple really. I live in a hot humid weather. :/

anon123

No, I don't believe that it does.

And in terms of retention (as opposed to growth), washing very often has the negative effect of increasing tangles in my hair and making me have to detangle more often, meaning I actually end up with less hair.

Last edited:

leleepop

My hair loves the moisture on the roots it gets from co washing frequently. I also have to keep my scalp healthy so it works for me, who suffers from itchy scalp. Its the only thing that keeps my scalp healthy.

Hersheygurl

My hair loves water! Once I started frequently CW'g or rinsing, my hair started to thicken. I also have a massage setting on my shower head, which feels great and may have contributed to better growth.