New to the game and need major help!

Irie1

I'm a newbie and while I've read a good bit of information on various sections of this site, I still need some direct advice (if possible). I realize we are all different, but i'm hoping someone shares the same frustration (s) as I do with having thin, fine, soft hair. Currently my hair is relaxed (I broke down and relaxed it because of the weather changing to more humid conditions) but because my hair is thin, I've been told by a number of stylists that i shouldn't relax my hair. My length is at the bottom of my neck and holding!! :lachen: If there are any ladies who started their journey the same as me who have achieved growth and thickness, please let me know which products or which regimine you've found to be successful. Sorry for the long post, but I'm so frustrated, yet convinced that I too can have longer, healthier and thicker hair!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings!

Hi Lala825, and welcome to the board! :)
You're gonna love it here!

Tell us a little bit more about your regiment, and what products you use on your hair.

hey girl! i have fine thin hair as well. relaxers and heat jacked my head up as u can tell from my starting siggy pic. are you using heat at all? i cut out heat almost totally along with no brushing/combing. i dont fully relax anymore because my hair is too thin and i hate the way it looks. now im texlaxin which gives me some fullness when i decide to flat iron.

i think washing regularly has helped me lots too. before i joined here i would wash maybe twice a month. i have also started deep conditioning more since joining here which i think helped as well.

whats your current regimine and what products are you using? currently i use:

ORS Replenish Pac - 2 to 3 times/wk
Elucence Volume Clairifying Poo - once a week or once every two weeks
Some indian shampoo, cant recall the name at the moment
Infusium Moistur(ologie) Conditioner
Shea Aloe Butter for moisture
Some type of oil to seal

When i wash i usually put in my moisture and let air dry. HTH :)

Hi, Womanlycharm, thanks for your response. I'm trying to formalize my regimine, but i've been going to a dominican salon and getting roller sets. When not going to the dominican salon, i wash and wrap my hair at home, so basically i use minimal heat. In terms of products, i've experimented with a little bit of everything in the past and have recently used Follicure and Murad for my thin edges, Sedal product for wrapping and a variety of leave in conditioners. I've also used Olive Oil deep conditioning pack. I wash my hair once a week and recently started taking prenatal vitamins. My hair has grown a bit, but it's still VERY thin (largely genetic but i know there has to be a way to make my hair look thicker). Hope most of this makes sense.

Last edited:
You're hair is gorgeous Cleve girl, thanks for your response. I am still trying to get a set a "real" routine and identify my staple products. But I minimize heat and try to stick with roller sets at a dominican salon. The thing i hate about the salon is that i end up with ZERO style. I've been using a combination of Follicure/Murad products for thin front edges and olive oil deep conditioner consistently, with a variety of shampoos (affirm when relaxing hair or hair re-gro on a regular basis).

Hiya Flawed Beauty. Wow, your hair is making excellent progress! Your hair in your siggy is similar to mine but it actually looks thicker than my hair, believe it or not! My current regimine is not a true regimine at all. I dabble with a lot of products and am quickly becoming a product junkie. I'm trying to find that combo that will work well for me, but so far I haven't come up with the right mix. I wash every week and either go to a dominican shop for a roller set or try to wrap it at home (no comment). I use Follicure/Murad for thin edges and olive oil deep conditioning pack. Shampoos vary.

Here there and WELCOME TO THE FORUM...!!! I have fine strands but alot of strands...but I notice too much product flattens and weighs my have down... Also using products with panthenol helps plumpin strands...Biotin is good..and Alma powder or Alma oil helps fluffen stands...Also Cassia and Henna help thicken too..:)

Hi there, Lala825 and welcome! :wave:

Your story touched my heart, as I too have very fine, soft hair. It's not as thin as it once was and I attribute that to several things:

1. Try to stretch your relaxers for as long as you can. When you start to see damage or breakage, then it's time to relax. Since my hair is soft, I have been told not to relax often. So I try to stretch for as many as 16 weeks (4 months). Now that my hair is starting to thicken up a bit, I'm getting more newgrowth, so I can't go too much longer...maybe every 12 to 14 weeks or so.

2. Find a good balance between moisturizing and protein. Read the labels. As fine ladies, we can't do too much protein. That may actually be counterproductive and for me, may actually break my hair off if I don't follow through with enough moisturizing agents. Don't use too many different products; it causes build up and weight the hair down.

3. Drink plenty of water, at least 64 oz. a day.

4. Up your internal protein intake, like fish, chicken.

5. I'm taking two supplements that seem to be helping to strengthen my strands and thicken them up: Biotin and Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5). I take the Puritan's Pride brand. They have Super Biotin and always have 3 for 1 sales on their website. Do a search, but I think the website if www.puritan.com. With Biotin, you must drink plenty of water.

6. Lastly, many ladies swear by Jamaican Black Castor Oil to help thicken ends. I use a little bit for my ends at night. As fine haired ladies we can't use too much. Do a search on this as well...

I wish you all the blessings along the way. With a little work and dedication...and prayer...you will reach your goals in no time! ;)

Welcome again! :kiss:

Hey Lala!

I too have some of your same issues...

I have relatively fine hair and stylists have repeatedly advised me to discontinue relaxing my hair but ...my hair tends to be wavy when I want it to be straight so I relax to tame...If I knew some of what I had learned on this board I would have just went natural when I initally started growing out my short cut but I digress...

Anywho my hair is neck length as well and although Im using different products based on what others on this board have posted in the past Ive found success with Nioxin washing once, twice a week air drying by just laying down with a silk scarf.

Im a serious PJ so I cant even begin to tell you what products work and dont work Im always trying different things. Ive totally cut soda out of my diet and only drink water, I take GNC Hair Nails and Skin.

Currently Im experimenting with a faux bun (protective style) while baggying my ends. Using EQP Mango and EVOO. I wouldnt recommend the EQP Im still trying to determine whether I like it or not my ends have been looking suspicious BUT Ive had little to NO breakage everything is shedding (white bulbs)....

The biggest thing Ive learned so far is MOISTURIZE and PROTEIN. I use Infusium 23 as a leave in and Im using ORS Replenish pak and alternate with ORS Mayo w/ 1 egg.

I say try different things cut out the heat (flat iron) and experiment with different products. If you are using a protective style and no heat. Experiments with different shampoos, conditioners and leave ins shouldnt be too harmful....

OH! AND stretch the relaxers for as long as possible (since we shouldnt even be relaxing to begin with :)

JMTC......Good luck mama!

Miss Madam, Serenity Peace and Jeagermany, thank you so much for your informative responses. I'm still learning my way around the board, so forgive me for my delay in responding. You're all so sweet. I totally appreciate your help.

It's great to know that i'm not the only one dealing with thin/fine/soft hair issues. I kept my hair short for a LONG time and this "growing out thing" is wearing me out. I'm not the most patient person, so waiting for my change to come, has been troubling at times. Fortunately, I have some of the products you've mentioned in your posts (biotin & infusim 23). Also, prior to my most recent relaxer (6/1) I had stretched for about 4 months, so stretching won't be a problem for me. I'm so mad at myself for putting the relaxer in my hair (Affirm Fiberguard) but as I said, i'm not the most patient person. Well, it looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me, but i'm gaining confidence, with your help and the other info on this board.

Many blessings and thicker, longer hair to all of you!

Last edited:
Lala - I am the most impatient person ever!

But I look forward to trying different things and then seeing how my hair responds. Growing out your hair is hard. Im growing out a short cut and the shorter my hair is the curlier/wavier it is so I could reasonably have what appears to be finger waves in the back of my hair and bone straight hair everywhere else. Ive grown out the back since then and when I think back to how I did it - I just focused on not cutting and conditioning and taking care of it. Now that it has gotten longer (not long, Im still at neck length but longer) Ive had to learn to cut out heat to keep what I have.

You will get to where you want to be unfortunately it may not be when you want to get there but you will get there.... HTH

HHG!.........Jae

Back