New To this Hair Thing~*!

lilchosencutie

Hey~*! I'm LilchosenCutie. I'm new to this whole hair thing. Well my mother used to do my hair but now she says since I'm about to be 15 I should do my own hair and I believe her. But I'm wondering where do I start? I want long and PRETTY hair. I have a perm. Which one is the best to use? I use Motions now. I use Shea Butter and Cocoanut Oil to keep it moisturized? is there something else I should add? thanks for your help~*!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Welcome!
You'll get a ton of info from this site. Check out the recent threads on the inexpensive and expensive products. That will give you an idea of what the women here like best.

daviine

Welcome! I wish I had access to this board when I was 15! At any rate you are in extremely good hands! I look forward to hearing your hair success stories.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LondonDiva

Welcome to the board lilchosencutie.

I wish the internet was accessible as it is now when I was 15. Believe me I also wish I had the knowledge that i know now as I'd be sitting on my hair typing this to you.

What kind of condition is your hair in now?
How long is it?
What products (ie shampoos conditioners) do you use on your hair?

You will find tons of info on here about caring and growing for your hair.

Good Luck on your hair journey.

Peachtree

Welcome lilchosencutie /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm glad that you have chose us (this hair care family) to assist you with your hair journey.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But I'm wondering where do I start? I want long and PRETTY hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most members here might agree that this would be a very basic starting outline: M O P:
Moisturize, Oil, &amp; Protect

MOISTURIZE
This pertains to washing (whether with shampoo or conditioner washes), deep conditioning, daily sprinkling with water/oil/leave-in mix, using a hair steamer, using a cream conditioner, etc.

OIL
Pre-shampoo/hot oil treatments, ends oiling, hair oiling, deep ends oiling using baggie method, adding oil after conditioning &amp; before setting...this helps to "lock in" the moisture.

PROTECT
Wearing silk/satin bonnets to bed, seamless combs, limit combing/brushing when possible, avoid mineral oil/petroletum/alcohol based products, (some members avoid SLS...sodium laureth sulfate as well), protective/moisturizing styles (buns, french rolls, braid outs, twists outs), avoid heat (blow dryers, curling/crimping irons, etc), dry with roller sets or let air dry, line winter hats with satin/silk scarfs, handle hair very carefully when wet, try to finger comb when wet, etc.

Sorry for the rambled thoughts...I just typed ideas as they came to mind. Also, keep in mind that you not only have to find products that works best for you, but you also have to determine the frequency of usage as well. I'm sure that I left out alot of other healthy tips (I can't think straight /images/graemlins/shocked.gif)
Hopefully, other members will fill the voids that I left.

Once again, this is just a "basic" outline to answer your question. Hopefully, something that I typed here will be of some benefit for you as you develop your own regime.

God Bless,
Peachtree

lilchosencutie

Well, my hair is REALLY damaged. I have bad split ends. My hair lengths is on my neck. If I cut off ALL of my split ends my hair will be as short as Halle Berry. (lol) I'm washing my hair with conditioner. I use Suave Cocoanut Conditioner and Shae Butter when it gets dry. Other than that, thats it because I dont know ANYTHING else to do to get it back long and healthy! I guess I answered all of your questions! thanks in advance~*!

pebbles

Hi lilchosencutie,
Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif You said that your hair is really damaged. Are you getting a lot of breakage? If so,there are steps you can take to get the breakage under control. /images/graemlins/smile.gif