New to This

neisharenae

ok, so I'm new LHCF and i need some tips for going natural.
I didn't cut all of my hair to start over though.
I cut all my split ends, but i still have permed ends.
Any good tips???

In other words, you are attempting to Transition without a Big Chop? When was your last relaxer? You know everyone is going to ask to you to be more specific soooo what products are you using currently? Your current length? Regi? etc...

Welcome to the board!! I'm sure you will find what works for you here!!

:welcome: :newbie: the best things I heard is baby your ends and keep your hair moist. I am sure the other op gave you some good links.

You may want to try transitioning with braids www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html
I transitioned for 3 years with braids.

When you're transitioning you should use protein conditioners often as well as moisturising ones to prevent your relaxed hair breaking off prematurely. I would recommend Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor and Aubrey Organics GBP as good protein conditioners and Hairveda Sitrinillah, Darcy's botanicals pumpkin seed and any other Aubrey organics conditioner as good moisturising conditioners .

Last edited:
Try to stay away from excessive heat. Remember, the new growth that you see coming in will one day be your full head of hair. Treat it right now so that it will look good when you finally are natural. Heat damaged curly/kinky hair isn't fun to work with! Keep up with deep conditioning/protein treatments. Transition the way that works best and is easiest for you. I transitioned wearing buns but I know that may not be for everybody. If you ever feel the urge to relax, give yourself a few weeks to think about it, no impulsive decisions! Transitioning can be a lot of fun :) Happy transitioning!

I agree with the below. I transitioned about 9 months with braids and would have continued. I switched them up about every 2 wks - 1x month.
It protected my ends and helped me to have thickness and not break off hair.
That site is really good that she suggested. I like the infusium 23 leave in that was suggested. I use it when my hair feels a little mushy or weak.
For conditioners aubrey organics or keracare humecto are quite popullar
For shampoos creme of nature, nexxus humectress, giovanni, and shea moisture are popular just to name a few.
Drink plenty of water, and moisturize your ends and seal (lock the moisture in) with an oil or grease whichever your hair likes.
It may take about a year for you to find some staple products unless you already have some.
Stay away from heat and putting grease on your scalp.
If you go swimming put conditioner on your hair before you jump in (or) have hard water invest in a water filter or shampoo that can fight against it like ors creamy aloe, elasta qp conditioning shampoo, paul mitchell one, and terax latte just to name a few.
Keep an eye on your hair and if you do try any new products do one or two at a time MAX so if you have a bad reaction you know which one is the cause.
Things I wish I knew
Section your hair when cleansing it (however many sections you need)
It prevents tangles and knots
Don't pull of single strand knots cut them with shears
Don't handle your hair if you don't feel like it.
A good book is Grow It by: Chicoro

Hope that helps a little

You may want to try transitioning with braids www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html
I transitioned for 3 years with braids.

When you're transitioning you should use protein conditioners often as well as moisturising ones to prevent your relaxed hair breaking off prematurely. I would recommend Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor and Aubrey Organics GBP as good protein conditioners and Hairveda Sitrinillah, Darcy's botanicals pumpkin seed and any other Aubrey organics conditioner as good moisturising conditioners .

I finished an almost 2 year transition this year. It wsa going to be longer, but then I looked and realized that my hair was mostly natural with some permed ends hanging around so I cut them off.

I wish I had thought to clean my hair in sections earlier
I also wish I had known about crown and glory earlier
I also think that I should have used protein ealier in the transition (some of the posts scared me)

Good luck!

In other words, you are attempting to Transition without a Big Chop? When was your last relaxer? You know everyone is going to ask to you to be more specific soooo what products are you using currently? Your current length? Regi? etc...

Welcome to the board!! I'm sure you will find what works for you here!!
My last perm was in July.
right now im using OJON Ultra Hydrating shampoo
and OJON Hydrating Thickening conditioner... it makes my hair feel really really good, im looking into moisturizers now.
I hate been flat ironing my hair lately which isnt a good idea i realized so im going to stop that. my hair is cut into a a short bob

Time to find some staple protective styles.

My last perm was in July.
right now im using OJON Ultra Hydrating shampoo
and OJON Hydrating Thickening conditioner... it makes my hair feel really really good, im looking into moisturizers now.
I hate been flat ironing my hair lately which isnt a good idea i realized so im going to stop that. my hair is cut into a a short bob

Wear protective styles for less manipulation, keep it moisturized and trim those permed ends off gradually.

Oh and welcome to the site!

I've been transitioning for 13 months now. I think my biggest obstacle is keep my hands out my head...lol The texture of my hair is so soft and thick now. I've always had limp and thin hair when I was perming.

I noticed for my ultra thirsty scalp and hair, co-washing (washing with conditioner) 2-3 times a week, using oils such as avocado, jojoba and caster to moisturize and wearing a wig (low manipulation) has been the key for retention for me. I'm looking to do some braided styles this winter. A wig can get boring and hot...lol

Remember, do what works for you.

Have a happy hair journey!

well today i just bought some more ojon products... building my collection
i got the restorative hair treatment, the leave in glossing creme and the animated styling creme... im in love with the glossing creme, i should have gotten the bigger one.. lol but keep the suggestions coming... thanks a bunch ladies

Back