So I cut my hair yesterday

sunshinelady

Hey ladies,

I got my hair cut yesterday back to shoulder-length (about 2") to get rid of my scraggly ends. My hair is natural and my hair is super thick, 4b, and dry.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep my ends in good condition. My hair seems to be breaking less now that I have it flat ironed. I don't think I can baggy as a natural because my hair will revert.

Any tips on how to hold on to my ends? Thanks!:)

FlawedBeauty

i like to part my hair down the middle and make two (2), two-strand twists, put moisurizer in them and seal with oil. then i clip them up, its worked so far :)

Nonie

sunshinelady said:
Hey ladies,

I got my hair cut yesterday back to shoulder-length (about 2") to get rid of my scraggly ends. My hair is natural and my hair is super thick, 4b, and dry.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep my ends in good condition. My hair seems to be breaking less now that I have it flat ironed. I don't think I can baggy as a natural because my hair will revert.

Any tips on how to hold on to my ends? Thanks!:)
Heat not only dries your hair but also does its own damage to the cuticle, so you probably will have a major feat trying to keep ends healthy when you're pressing the hair often. (BTW, I use the words pressing, flat ironing, and just ironing interchangeably.) I can understand what you mean by less breakage - but that's only because you don't get it tangling up as much as it would if it were curly. The breakage does happen though, as your cuticles get slowly stripped away until your ends look scraggly.

How else do you wear your hair, besides flat ironing? If your hair were braided, cornrowed or twisted, then it wouldn't matter if your hair reverted. Or if you wore an afro puff... You could baggy at night too, which would help with moisture retention. And if you wore a puff, you could baggy your own puff and wear a fake one, thus protecting your ends.

When I was wearing twists, I didn't mind so much about reverting. In fact, I would dunk my head in an ACV solution every morning so the twists would hang down straight. If you don't like the look of shrunken twists hanging down, you could wear an updo like I used to or if you are OK sleeping with curlers in your hair, you could put them on damp twists in the evening and leave them in all evening and night. And in the morning, when you hair was all dry, you'd have a style like this. (I didn't baggy for this do.)

One thing I loved about wearing twists is how little work I had to put into my hair. Washed my hair in them, and never needed to use a comb as when they needed touching up, I'd undo each one with fingers, detangle and retwist. Life was so good! (For those out of the loop, this is all in past tense coz I had a BC and I haven't worn them since.)

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

FlawedBeauty said:
i like to part my hair down the middle and make two (2), two-strand twists, put moisurizer in them and seal with oil. then i clip them up, its worked so far :)

Your hair color is gorgeous. Is it natural or may I purchase in a bottle?? :)

sunshinelady

Thanks for the replies so far. I just got my hair flat-ironed for the first time in 5 years and I noticed that it isn't breaking as much, probably due to less tangling. So, I basically cut all of the hair I have grown back to shoulder length.

I wear my hair in cornrows under a wig most of the time and I wore my hair in an afro puff for about 5 years. I tried baggying and it just didn't work for me.

May be a stupid question, but are there any moisturizers that don't cause hair to revert?

Nonie

I don't know if this will work for you, but my friend who loves to "wash n go" swears that after applying activators and creams, that SCurl gel in the silver jar stops her hair from reverting so much. The weight seems to work for her. For me, it did the opposite, not to mention made my hair feel so sticky and icky.

The only thing I know of that might make your hair appear not to revert so much is to apply your moisturizers at night and then braid your hair for the night so it stretches a little. If you don't apply anything again in the morning, it should be a little stretched.

This is my puff
now when my hair has been left to do it's thang; and this is the same style after my hair has been braided for the night and baggied. I imagine your hair would be even more stretched if it were not baggied.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey!

You might not be able to baggy your entire head but you might be able to baggy your ends. I'm relaxed and don't know how different moisturizers would help but olive oil on the ends works pretty good for me. It might be a good idea to try baggying just your ends on your down days to see how your grass responds. My grass liked it as long as I didn't add too much moisture. Hope this helps.

btw love your hair! :)

sareca

They are oil-based moisturizers that won't cause reversion. I think Aveda Universal Stying Cream is oil-based.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
sunshinelady said:
Thanks for the replies so far. I just got my hair flat-ironed for the first time in 5 years and I noticed that it isn't breaking as much, probably due to less tangling. So, I basically cut all of the hair I have grown back to shoulder length.

I wear my hair in cornrows under a wig most of the time and I wore my hair in an afro puff for about 5 years. I tried baggying and it just didn't work for me.

May be a stupid question, but are there any moisturizers that don't cause hair to revert?

Fantasia's IC Olive Moisturizing Shine Serum (the green bottle).....that's what I use. Give it a try.