New..unsure where to start

Hi all,

Well I guess I'm not exactly new to the forums, I've lurked here a very long time before paying and lurking even longer after that, LOL. Anyways, I enjoy reading everyone's threads and seeing the progress, but now I would like to try and improve the health of my own hair, but I guess I'm not sure where to start. :)

I'm currently in college and since I go to school in a more diverse area (North Jersey) than where I'm from, I'm hoping I can use this to my advantage. At the moment I'm not exactly sure of my hair type, though I'm currently reading up about it and trying to determine what I am. My main issues with my hair now is the fact that I'm finding it hard to retain length past SL, and I would like my hair to be thicker than what it is. My first semester in college I had micros in, which killed..KILLED my edges but did help the overall length of my hair. They have grown back in thankfully and I wouldn't mind getting braids in again, but I would definitely opt for a different style this time.

I'm just curious, but how did you all formulate your regimens when you first began your hair journey? I do know for a fact that my hair does better with protien, but not too much because it'll begin to break off. I noticed this with the profectiv line of hair products, which work pretty well for me except I don't like some of the heavy build-up it can leave on my scalp at times.

Kudos to you if you read all of that, Lol. I welcome any and all suggestions.. I really want to have healthy hair and retain some length. Sorry if it's kinda rambling too..I have done a lot of reading here, but this is my first time really posting to finally try to get on the right track. :)

I do have some pics of my hair, just to give an idea of what it currently looks like.

http://img.skitch.com/20090121-d6k9ngknfmurcki3us46hgemgx.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20090121-bm6t7hn98p65eh5cnwuwygt6qw.jpg

A little blurry, but. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/WaltzForVenus/IMG_3989.jpg

Thanks all =)

CenteredGirl

Are you relaxed or natural. Couple things:

When was the last time you removed all of the product build up from your hair. Try some making your own moisturizing shampoo -- 2 - 4 oz castille soap, 2 oz Suave condis ahd 2 oz distilled water. Add about 1 tbsp of Baking soda.

Do you deep condition? If not, get a good Deep conditioner (like Nexxus Humectress) and get under a hair dryer or heat cap (don't forget to cover your hair in plastic) for at least 30 minutes no more than one hour.

Do you do protein treatments? Get some Nexxus Emergencee and follow the directions. Do this once a month or so.

Sounds like you take care of your hair between washings. Good luck.

SEMO

First of all WELCOME!!! :)

Next, to me, the first thing needed to get your hair to be longer is to learn how to maintain the hair that's already grown out of your head.

This includes wearing styles that don't require excessive combing or manipulation. Using heat (i.e. blow dryers, flat irons, etc.) sparingly. Protecting your ends (not letting them rub up against dry wool scarfs, be too exposed to harsh elements, sealing the moisture in them with oil like coconut or jojoba, and wearing a silk or satin scarf/bonnet at night).

Next is finding a good shampoo that cleanses your hair without stripping it (avoiding ones with sodium lauryl sulfate--going for ammonium laureth sulfate instead, which is more gentle). Then you want to find a good creamy conditioner for your hair (I use Dove intense moisture conditioner). Next is a nice leave-in conditioner (to apply daily to your hair). Finally, you want to find a good oil to put on your hair (esp. the ends) to seal in the moisture from the leave-in (I recommend jojoba or coconut oil).

Good luck to you on your hair journey. ;)

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Keep those ends moisturized and seal, they must be breaking if your not growing past SL.

I can't believe I forgot to mention, but I am relaxed. Just reading below, I'm already learning things I had no idea about. :grin: I go back to school on Monday, so I'm printing this out so I can pick up some of these items before I go back and start using them as recommended here.

Currently I do sleep in a silk scarf, which I learned from this forum as well. Hehe.. I was able to convert my mother to doing so, and it helped her immensely. The homemade moisturizing shampoo sounds good, will def try that as well as the protein treatments, my hair really likes protein.

I usually get a deep condition done when I visit the Dominican salon near my school..which is about once a month or so. I'm not sure if that's a good length of time between each one or not? But I was given a seated dryer for xmas to learn and hopefully be able to do my own rollersets, so I can start doing my own DC as well.

Thank you so much for your replies ladies!