Newbie here! Need help with regime ...

glamazon386

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here and wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to join. I have a few questions though. I've been wearing weaves off and on for the past year in order to grow my hair out. Right now I have a sew in I put in myself with Sensationnel Remi Goddess hair. I am absolutely in love with these curls. :D It seems like I've always had weaves or braids, but really for growth purposes for the past year. It seemed like my hair was at a standstill for a while but I can see now that's it's grown a lot. Especially my bangs, I thought they would never grow out.

I read the Newcomer's guide that's a sticky on the main page, but I'm still confused as to what to do as far as a regime (did i spell that right?). I relax about every 12 weeks with Affirm. I've only been trimming when my hair really needs it. Which has been once or twice in the past year, and only the very end needed to be snipped. I've been using Keracare and Nexxus products, however I don't wash my hair very often. Maybe every 2 weeks. I've been rinsing every few days with this hair to reset the curls. Should I wash more often? Will that make my cornrows unravel? And what kind of products should I be using? I don't want the braids to get a buildup. Can anyone offer any advice? Oh yeah, I'm not totally sure what my hair type is, if that matters. I know that it's thin or fine but I can never figure out which type it is when I look at the strand. :ohwell: It's just weird. TIA ...

Lucia

Welcome newbie, You might want to look up conditioner washes, alot of ladies do this 1-2 x a week so they don't dry out thier hair as much and use shampoo less often.
baggie method helps with dryness and retaining length.
moisterizing is very important, you should check out diff products, Jason, Aubrey organics, kenra, etc...
searches help alot.
good luck and if you need more advice PM me.

Last edited:

*Happily Me*

Hi,

I can't offer you much advice... i'm trying to find a regime that works for me.

I just wanted to say hello and welcome! :) You'll find tons of great info here.

lovechic

Hi, Welcome to LHCF!!!
My advice is to keep your Regime as Simple as possible and don't become a PJ!Happy hair growing!!!:clap:

lovechic

Lucia said:
Welcome newbie, You might want to look up conditioner washes, alot of ladies do this 1-2 x a week so they don't dry out thier hair as much and use shampoo less often.
baggie method helps with dryness and retaining length.
moisterizing is very important, you should check out diff products, Jason, Aubrey organics, kenra, etc...
searches help alot.
good luck and if you need more advice PM me.
Great Advice!!!

MomofThreeBoys

With braids and weaves, I keep washing to a minimum every two weeks or more. I do use a moisturizer every other day or/and a braid spray. Surge has a hair deodorizer product that has just come out. I spray my cornrows with Sta So Fro but you can use any curl activator spray like Scurl or Word of Curls on the braids. You will get some buildup, but who cares since your hair is not "out". Once the braids come out, you will probably need to clarify with either an ACV rinse or an clarifying shampoo like Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo.

Best wishes.

BMoreFlyy

Welcome!!! Welcome!! Welcome! I don't think I have much advice to offer you for your regimen because mine is very simple.

moda

I just wanted to say welcome. I don't really have any advice that was not already offered.

esoterica

bmoreflyygirl said:
I've been using Keracare and Nexxus products, however I don't wash my hair very often. Maybe every 2 weeks. I've been rinsing every few days with this hair to reset the curls. Should I wash more often? Will that make my cornrows unravel? And what kind of products should I be using? I don't want the braids to get a buildup. Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm also wearing sew-ins until i reach my hair goals. I find the best way to prevent your cornrows coming undone or matting is to braid in a thin piece of synthetic hair into it. this will be unnaffected by the water, and will help the cornrows to keep the shape. recently i've been washing my hair every other day using diluted shampoo. probably a bit extreme for most but my cornrows havent come undone. at the moment i'm using Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo and some other ones i have lying around. it leaves no buildup but it doesnt dry the hair out either. Applying Surge after washing will keep your hair in good condition as well.

Last edited:

glamazon386

asphyxxia said:
Applying Surge after washing will keep your hair in good condition as well.

I know this might sound stupid but what exactly is Surge? I've seen other people discuss it on this board and they have a sign in the window of one of the BSS's in my area that says they're a Surge dealer or something. What exactly is it? What does it do?