Newbie question- How do you dry rollerset?

Mdmommy99

Hi everyone. I am an LHCF newbie who has been mostly lurking for about 2 months now. I have been natural for nine years. I had locs for 5 years which I cut off 2 years ago.Now my hair is just below sl. I love this site and am learning how to take care of my hair for the first time!:grin:

I have seen a couple places people mention dry rollersetting their hair and just want to know your method. I roller set then flat ironed my hair earlier this week to straighten. Its still really straight but all of my curls are gone and I'm wondering whether a dry set will help put some of them back in without having to use the flat iron again to curl it.

If you have done a dry rollerset, especially if you are natural have you dry rollerset? What types of rollers do you use? Do you use any products during your set?

Taleah2009

Hi Mdmommy99,

I don't dry rollerset, but I do rollerset, I am currently transitioning. I am 12 months post. Anywho, have you tried to pincurl your hair to maintain the curl at night? They should help you to maintain the curl. I personally, rollerset on wet hair, flat iron my roots, and put flexirods in. I re-roll with the flexi rods nightly to maintain the curl.
HTH

Mdmommy99

Thanks, I was thinking maybe flexirods would help. I didn't pincurl at night because I've been pulling it back in a bun for the past couple days.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Welcome!!

I dry rollerset when my hair looks flat and blah, or when I'm bored and have nothing to do.
I moisturize my hair, put it on purple flexi rods (I use anywhere from two-twelve), and then baggy my whole head overnight. I think the extra moisture from the baggy helps the hair hold the curl a little better.
In the morning, I take off the baggy, let my hair dry completely, and then take out the flexi rods. Depending on how many I used and how long I've left them in, I get nice bump at the ends or lots of curls.
I've never tried using magnetic rollers to dry set, so I don't know how they'd work out. But the flexirods work fine for me. hth.

PPGbubbles

I have dry roller set on flat ironed hair.

What I did is take the hair and section of the hair that will be on the roller. I spritzed with a mix of water/lottabody setting lotion added a little shea butter then rolled immeadiately using an end paper

I have done wet rollerset and dry ones. The benefit to the dry one is that the hair is much smoother. I suppose it is because even though I am wetting the hair I apply the roller B4 my hair has a chance to revert.

When I do my natural wet roller sets I still get a curl but my hair is frizzy and kinkier in texture ,especially at the roots, than when I dry rollerset

Also whether dry or wet as I take the rollerset down I use coconut oil to smooth define and seperate the curl. Just take each curl with your oiled fingers and twist along the length of the curl in the same direction of the curl pattern.

HTH!

Mdmommy99

I have dry roller set on flat ironed hair.

What I did is take the hair and section of the hair that will be on the roller. I spritzed with a mix of water/lottabody setting lotion added a little shea butter then rolled immeadiately using an end paper

I have done wet rollerset and dry ones. The benefit to the dry one is that the hair is much smoother. I suppose it is because even though I am wetting the hair I apply the roller B4 my hair has a chance to revert.

When I do my natural wet roller sets I still get a curl but my hair is frizzy and kinkier in texture ,especially at the roots, than when I dry rollerset

Also whether dry or wet as I take the rollerset down I use coconut oil to smooth define and seperate the curl. Just take each curl with your oiled fingers and twist along the length of the curl in the same direction of the curl pattern.

HTH!
Thanks! Are you using flexirods or magnetic rollers when you dry rollerset?

ilah

I just did a "dry" rollerset with the purple and pink flexi-rods...it turned out pretty well I needed to use a head band to hide the new growth (I'm almost 4ms into my trasition to natural with out the bc). I watched some YT videos to learn how to section the hair properly (lots of useful stuff on youtube!) then I used some aragon oil, tea tree oil and some leave in conditioner on the hair and rolled it up.

I left it in overnight (I don't currently have a bonnet dryer) and fingered the curls out. I sprayed some "oil spritz" on my hair to shine it up and that was it.

Day 2 was pretty much the same thing...fluff with fingers and spritz oil - hope this helps

Curlybeauty

I just add some condish to my hair that i'm rolling up, use an end paper and roll it up. I didn't sit under the dryer b/c I only did one, but hey, the one culr that I did do was nice...and my curls aren't as tight since my hair isn't wt, just damp. HTH

darlingdiva

:rolleyes:wait, is it possible for naturals to dry rollerset??

Yes. In fact, the term "dry rollerset" sounds funny to me because rollersetting on dry hair is the only way I've done it my entire life. When my hair was regularly straightened, I curled it with sponge rollers and end papers. I still have sponge rollers in my hair basket.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Yes. In fact, the term "dry rollerset" sounds funny to me because rollersetting on dry hair is the only way I've done it my entire life. When my hair was regularly straightened, I curled it with sponge rollers and end papers. I still have sponge rollers in my hair basket.

i mean, could you actually get your hair straight like that??