Newbie Transitioner In Need of All the Hair Tips She Can Get...

jamoca5

Hello LHCF peoples!

I'm Ashley, 16, and after 4 years of relaxing, I am now transitioning. My last relaxer was on May 7th, 2009, which makes me about 20 weeks post, I believe. I decided to start transitioning back in early July. At the time, I had cornrows w/extensions (as I usually do in the summertime), so all was pretty well. Well, now it's September, and the school year has gone underway, and I find myself somewhat lost and clueless.

Luckily, my older sister is a cosmetologist (or aspiring, she currently attends Dudley Beauty College). What's not so lucky is that she and I kind of clash when it comes to how to treat my hair. For example, last weekend after I washed my hair, I didn't want to use heat to dry it, after which, my sis chastised me, saying "We're not white, Ashley!" But this comment doesn't make much sense to me anymore, seeing as though I've been researching, (especially here on LHCF) and most black women who wear their hair natural say its a big no-no to use heat on your hair.

Which leads me to wonder that since there seems to be a certain amount of guidelines for naturals, and guidelines for relaxers, if there's a completely different set a rules for transitioners as well.

As for protective styling, since school's started, I've been using weaves a little bit (something I'm still not completely used to wearing). My current profile pic is me with cornrows (some extensions used) with a curly weave sewn in. More recently, I now have this "makeshift wig" thing where I have a stocking cap over my cornrows and curly tracks glued on it (can someone remind me what it's called?). The style is cute, but this itching is driving me CRAZY! I definitely prefer using my actual hair than tracks (although sewing them in is tolerable). But I don't know what styles I can do, besides braids.

So bottom line is, I'm stuck. I don't have a specific regimen, I'm not sure how to care for my hair (especially since what my sister advises contradicts what I'm reading)... I don't even know what my hair type is! Any advice/tips would be extremely helpful. Mainly routine things like how often should I wash it, where I could find products without any harmful chemicals, protective styling, caring for it at night... <i>anything</i> to help me through this confusing and frustrating time. I plan on sticking to this for the long run, but that may not last very long if I don't get a clue. Help, anyone?

msa

:welcome3:

I haven't transitioned before but you should definitely check out the transitioner's support thread. Or just do a search on "transitioner" or "transitioning". You will get lots and lots of threads back with all sorts of advice.

I think not using heat is great for right now because it can ruin your natural texture if you're not careful. A lot of transitioners either wear buns or curly styles (braid outs, twist outs, etc) to help blend the two textures. Hopefully Mummy'sgirl will come in her since she is really good with that type of stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of people will give you advice and if not you can always search in the meantime.

Honey Bee

:newbie:

Welcome to LHCF!!! I know, I haven't been here that long myself, :lachen:

You said you needed some help with transitioning hairstyles, right? Well, here's a thread that might be helpful to you. The style may be a little mature for your age, but I guess that depends on your overall style. I should be doing another style thread soon (either tonight or tomorrow).

eta: I forgot the link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=402162

Last edited:

SEMO

Welcome to the forum!! :)

As far as basic hair advice goes, my recommendations are:

1. Washing your hair at least once a week with a good shampoo (like Organic Root Stimulator's Creamy Aloe Shampoo--can be found at Walmart).
2. Using a good conditioner for your hair after you shampoo (I like Dove Intense Moisture conditioner--comes in a dark blue bottle--also at Walmart).
3. Whether you air dry or not is up to you, but I have found air drying to be immensely helpful.
4. Making sure to use a good leave-in conditioner to keep your hair soft and moisturized (I like Africa's Best Liquid Hair Mayo).
5. A good oil to smooth over your hair, after you put your leave-in in will help keep moisture in your hair (I recommend coconut oil--it works great and give really good shine to the hair).
6. Protective styles that keep your ends from rubbing up against your clothes, or being exposed to the elements, will help you when it comes to retaining length and preventing breakage (which is still important even though you're transitioning and plan to cut the relaxed ends off).
7. Tying your hair up at night with a good silk or satin scarf (not cotton or polyester) will keep your pillow from sucking moisture out of your hair, or causing breakage due to friction rubbing.
8. You may find it helpful to use a good deep conditioner to use on a weekly, or every other week, basis in addition to your regular routine (I like Organic Root Stimulator's Hair Mayo and Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Cholesterol).

Also, the search tool on this site is super helpful. Be sure to take advantage of it. There is a wealth of information that can be found here on almost everything hair-related (including help on determining your hair texture).

Good luck to you on your hair journey. Be sure to ask for help at any time. There are no stupid questions.

jamoca5

Thanks so much, you guys! I didn't think people would reply so soon.

Quick question, do any of you know what an oil rinse is?