NG "ONLY" Please!

charmtreese

I really like my current stylist. I only see her about 3 times a year for touch-ups, but I've noticed that when she smooths out the relaxer she gets a lot of it on my previous relaxed hair. The last time I paid her a visit I was about 15 weeks post, so I know she had some work on her hands, but I was cringing in my seat when I saw how far she was pulling the relaxer through. It covered about 4 inches of hair. Now I know I had some NG but not 4 inches of it.

I really dont want to change stylist, so I wanted to know of a nice way to tell her to keep the creamy crack on the NG only please!

This is what of was thinking of saying:

1. Hey (stylist name) since my hair is kindof thin can you keep the relaxer on the NG so I can have more volume?

2. Im a little paranoid about relaxing previous relaxed hair, so can you keep it on the NG please?

BTW: in the past she has been good at listening to my concerns. I always ask her to relax my hair line and nape last since the hair their seems to be weaker and she does with no problem. But I hate to appear bossy or like Im a know it all!

So, my question is how do you get your stylist to do what you want without looking like a drill sargeant?

Lotus

Suggestion: Put some type of SAA, thick grease or protection serum on your previously relaxed hair before you go in for a perm. Alot of ladies on the board use this to curb over-processing.

HTHs!

Evazhair

I agree with ^^. I like Elucence Protective Barrier Balm for this. I would express my concerns though. You don't want damage from overprocessing. You could say you notice that relaxer is getting on your relaxed hair and you have noticed a difference in your hair that concerns you.

_belle

either of those ways sound good to me. . . I really think a lot of stylists are more concerned with their clients being upset if their hair is NOT straight enough. so I think they take extra measures to make sure they get it hella straight. if she's been good in the past, i'm pretty sure either of the approaches u have mentioned will work.

If NOTHING else remember that YOU have to use YOUR money to pay her. wouldn't want all that time/energy u spent oil rinsing, pre-pooing, co-washing, deep conditioning, dusting at home, searching for products, mixing & measuring your own home concoctions, reading LHCF's posts, etc & money u spent on those online SAA, Henna, Pibbs 514, MN, Coconut Oil, vitamins, shower caps for conditioning, the right size rollers, import butters/oils, etc to go down the drain with the creamy crack in one 1.5 hr $60 trip to the salon. :lachen:

Last edited:

angelica

I had exactly this prob with my stylist. I've known her for years, really like her, she did my hair for my wedding, but i had to let her go. she listened to me too, but this 'only ng' thing she just wasn't getting and my fine hair couldn't take it anymore. a pity, but as belle so cutely said - too much $ and effort to risk damage. i didn't think to try the protective coating though. sounds like good advice

Esq.2B

ITA w/ the protective barrier!

I do this when I go to get my touch-up. For whatever reason, the Dominican Salon that I go to really overlaps the relaxer. I watched them relax this girls hair last week and I cringed.

I put conditioner and oil on the previously relaxed hair the last time I went. The beautician kept saying, "your hair is wet". :rolleyes: And I kept saying, "it doesn't matter, the roots aren't wet."

I might try something thicker next time though just to make SURE it's covered. :yep:

charmtreese

Thanks for the great suggestions!!!

The last time I went for a touch-up I did put CHI silk infusion on my previous relaxed hair. Is this good enough or do I have to get straight up SAA.

...and you are right belle, I think I would go off on home girl if she ruined my hair after all the money and time I put into it. I'm gonna give her one more chance, but I'll be watching her like a hawk.

Its just sooo hard to find a stylist...I would hate to have to start all over with someone new! And self relaxing...well lets just is not an option:blush:

shunta

Suggestion: Put some type of SAA, thick grease or protection serum on your previously relaxed hair before you go in for a perm. Alot of ladies on the board use this to curb over-processing.

HTHs!

Great advice!:yep: