Nick Wallenda Crosses the Grand Canyon

Sheriberi

Nick Wallenda survived crossing the Grand Canyon on a tightrope yesterday. He praised God and named Jesus as Lord practically every step of the way!

From the Chicago Tribune:

After he stepped onto the wire, he licked his hands and wiped them on his shoes. Then he began to ferociously pray aloud as he crossed the chasm, occasionally chatting with his dad about the winds and his footing.

"These feel slippery, there's dust on the cable... Thank you Jesus, for this beautiful view. ... Praise you, Jesus. Oh, I love you. Thank you, Jesus. ... Lord, help this cable calm down. ... Yes, Jesus. Oh, you're my savior. Yes, Jesus. Yes, Jesus. ... God, you're so good. Thank you for this opportunity, Lord. ... Lord, help me to relax, Father. ... Help me to calm down, and relax. You are my king. Help me to relax, Lord. ... Yes, Lord. Relaxed. Oh, Lord, peace. ... I don't want to talk to anyone, Dad. The winds are way worse than I expected. ... I need to relax more. Hard to relax when you're 1,500 feet above the canyon. ... Thank you, Jesus. ... What happens is an optical illusion, and it freaks you out. Not fun."

It took Wallenda about 12 minutes to reach the halfway point, when winds started to kick up a bit, prompting more prayer from Wallenda.
"Definitely whipping that cable. ... Golly, wind. Go away, in the name of Jesus. ... Thank you Lord. Thank you for calming that cable, Lord. ... Oh, yeah. That's my savior. That's Jesus."

"You're 16 minutes on the wire, doing great," his father radioed.
"You don't have to tell me how long I'm on the wire," Wallenda responded, then beginning to pray harder. "Lord, you are my everything. Lord, you are my all in all. You are my peace, my strength, my wisdom, my guidance. ... Yeshua. Jesus. You're my rock. My salvation. Sorcerer. King. Everything. Lord, you are my everything. ... Glory to your name. Glory, glory, glory. ... Thank you, Lord. Thank you, Discovery Channel, for believing in me. Thank you, Jesus."

I believe he actually said "my source" and not "sorcerer" as it says here.

Successfulmiss

What an inspiring story although God had given us WISDOM too but if it takes this one man to bring others to know Christ during this ordeal then it was well worth it!

Sheriberi

What an inspiring story although God had given us WISDOM too but if it takes this one man to bring others to know Christ during this ordeal then it was well worth it!

I agree.

Sometimes I look at the things people do and I wonder, "Why?" Tightrope walking seems like such a dangerous and totally unnecessary thing to do -- but God is awesome.

On a personal note: I've never been able to visit the Grand Canyon because of it's grandeur. It just seems like too much. Like something God created that is just much too grand for me to even look at. Photos of it take my breath away. It was really meaningful to me that God used the tightrope event in this way.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I listen to the Joy 93.3 FM every day. They hosted at least 2 interviews with Nick on the show. He is amazingly on fire for the Lord! I am always so grateful when Nick completes one of his events!! :whew:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
To give God glory in such a way for All the World to see and hear...

Praise God... Amen!

In the midst of all of the sin in this earth, God's Grace, God's Love, God's Mercy, God's Word, does much more abound...even on a tightrope.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I'm excited that he was praising God all the way across however, I'd be interested in knowing by he felt the need to do this, like what point was he hoping to make..just curious that's all.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Not trying to speak for the brother. But from my POV, it's an amazing athletic accomplishment.. and from looking at his background as an aerialist and acrobat, seems he's personally pushed himself to accomplish this feat, just like any Olympic athlete would accomplish a goal in their sport. What may be insane, crazy or useless to some people may inspire, motivate and encourage others. One thing is certain: he's not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ... :yep: Great story...

I'm excited that he was praising God all the way across however, I'd be interested in knowing by he felt the need to do this, like what point was he hoping to make..just curious that's all.

dyh080

He inspired me to continuously praise and thank God. On another note, did anyone catch a brief glimpse of Joel Osteen's(who prayed with the family) face during the walk? I never saw him look so stressed but it goes to show he is human, too.