no-lye Users: Clearing the air: Regime Please share

delp

For all those no-lye user could you share your regime,
How do you stop the shedding?
Combat the dryness?
What about the calcium build up?
Does clarify/chelating shampoos or conditionerswork? which is best chelating or clarifying?
What about Acidifying Conditioners? Does this work best on no-lye

Basically, what corrects the ills of using a no-lye? I heard that chelating and garlic conditioners?

Want to know just in case I make the switch back again.

Last edited:
girl do not, i repeat DO NOT, switch back to no-lye... i just returned to my lye relaxers after MONTHS and MONTHS of not knowing what was going on with my scalp... didnt LOOK dry but had a LOT of shedding, same day of relaxer and on... didnt stop. now at my last relaxer I went back to Motions lye relaxer. I'm so glad I did. I only shed 4 hairs today! my last relaxer before that one (no-lye) as a disaster, underprocessed hair, lots of shedding, breakage, dryness, u know it... now i'm just like 'wow my hair is so shiny!' it hasn't been this way after a relaxer for a long time now...

i advise to not go back to no-lye...

delp said:
For all those no-lye user could you share your regime,
Combat the dryness?
Does clarify/chelating shampoos or conditionerswork? which is best chelating or clarifying?

Basically, what corrects the ills of using a no-lye? I heard that chelating and garlic conditioners?

Want to know just in case I make the switch back again.

Honestly my hair has never had any problems associated with using no-lye relaxers (I switched from lye years ago, no-lye is much better on my scalp.) My regimen is simple and I rarely have a problem with dryness. I wash and deep condition every 3 days and wear buns, thats pretty much it.

I use no lye. Not sure if I've ever used lye so I can't compare. Anyways I use the Soft and Beautiful relaxer and it has a decalcifying shampoo, so that could contribute to me not having problems

Regimen: Wash, deep condition and rollerset once week.

I use no lye and everythings all good. I switched from lye to no lye back in 97.
My scalp has always been dry ever since b4 i started using relaxers, so for me it has nothing to do with that.
Regimen simple also. Wash/deep condition once a week, wear braidouts or straight. Scarf everynight, no combing/brushing and layer 3-4 leave ins.

I don't have a shedding problem. I keep my hair strong by using a protein treatment on a regular basis (Keraphix).

Combat the dryness?
I wash my hair every twice each week and deep condition each time with a moisturizing conditioner (Humectress). I keep my hair and ends moisturized daily and avoid all heat. I wear a satin or silk scarf a lot of the time and always to bed.

What calcium build up?:look:

Yes I hear that clarifying shampoos work. I very rarely have to clarify unless there is a lot of product build-up on my hair, which I almost never have. I use Botanoil shampoo specially made for relaxed hair and I lather just once per wash.

The last time I clarified was about a year or so ago when I used a product with silicone. If I do have to clarify in the future, I'll probably use some baking soda mixed with my shampoo. Suave clarifying shampoo works well also.

I have no idea. I use Humectress moisturizing conditioner which is ideal for relaxed hair.

I have not experienced any ills of using a no-lye.:)

Last edited:
I love no lye for my scalp.I think the lye would give my poor sensititive scalp problems. :p .

I noticed though that when i didnt infuse enough protien and oils into my hair especially after a perm(no lye) my hair looked dead.

So now i use heat maybe twice a month and deep condition every week.

using natural oils(olive oil,shea butter ect) compared to liquid moisturizers with a thousand weird ingrediants has helped a great deal as well.

I'm a no lye user. Have switched to lye when I joined the forum. I've tried to like it. Even tried the same brand but no dice. I soon figured out that what I needed was to condition my hair more, moisturize more, more tlc, and protection. I think what all us ladies do, be it lye or nolye. Depending on your hair will decide which one you like. I still see ladies on this board that use lye and I'm like mmmmmm should I ?, but then again see a nolye head and be like maaan.
I cowash everday if possible. In these cooler days I sometimes have to skip a few days with braidouts or a bun. I balance my moisturized and protein conditioners and am never rough with my hair. Wearing a scarf at night does well at retaining moisture. Heat is a minimum. Shedding and breakage is hardly a problem. When there is, it's something above that I have neglected to do.

I use Profectiv no lye regular. Regular lye burned my scalp to death and gave my hair a reddish cast! :mad: Actually, my hair feels better now than when I got Mizani professionally applied in April. There is no dryness - I use Profectiv Breakfree and mango butter along with WGO. I use Aphogee treatment once a month and the reconstructor or ORS Replenishing Pak weekly. I also use generic Humectress.

I use ACV for dandruff weekly.

I use Profectiv, as well. I have not been able to use Lye and get the same effective straightness and softness that Profectiv gives me. With my weekly treatments and care, my hair does well and is in great condition.

Back