no perm for the past 19 months

I have not permed my hair and have been wearing my hair in sew in weaves or braids for the past 19 months. I am afraid to perm it bc every time it grows out it seem like whoever perms my hair cuts off way too much of my ends. I would like to know the healthiest way to continue growing my hair. I should tell you that my hair is very thick extremely course and the longest its ever been is to the top of my shoulders. :wallbash:

Ms Lala

Congrats on the growth you are getting. Are you trying to transition or are you planning to relax? This info will help people give you the right advice.

babyleaf

I feel very confident in answering your question because I had this very experience. I wore a weave for years without ever relaxing my hair. When it was time to say enough with the weaves and just take care of your own da*n hair, I did the wrong thing. I decided to relax myself. Wrong,wrong wrong. You are going to need a full relaxer and a person who is very patient. Doing the "new growth" will not suffice. Make sure before you decide to relax you go to someone that has experience with FULLHEAD relaxing. If not, your head will be jacked up and partially relaxed. You will need correctives and you will possibly destroy all of your great new healthy hair. Trust me, I wish someone had explained this to me. I am still trying to repair all the damage that I did because of this very mistake. Good Luck and baby your beautiful virgin hair...it deserves it!!!:yep:

Last edited:
I feel very confident in answering your question because I had this very experience. I wore a weave for years without ever relaxing my hair. When it was time to say enough with the weaves and just take care of your own da*n hair, I did the wrong thing. I decided to relax myself. Wrong,wrong wrong. You are going to need a full relaxer and a person who is very patient. Doing the "new growth" will not suffice. Make sure before you decide to relax you go to someone that has experience with FULLHEAD relaxing. If not, your head will be jacked up and partially relaxed. You will need correctives and you will possibly destroy all of your great new healthy hair. Trust me, I wish someone had explained this to me. I am still trying to repair all the damage that I did because of this very mistake. Good Luck and baby your beautiful virgin hair...it deserves it!!!:yep:

ya know when a close friend of mine permed my full head it was very healthy and ganing length. As soon as I went to the salon the lower left side near my neck was breaking a lot. I think it was lack of base when perming. How should I take care of it then? should I get flat twist with my natural...but after a while the front will begin to pull.:wallbash:

thanks for the info

Congrats on the growth you are getting. Are you trying to transition or are you planning to relax? This info will help people give you the right advice.

i am not really sure I think eventually i would like to perm. but thats bc i dont know how to style my natural hair.

girlyprincess23

I would def go to a professional for the realxer and you don't have to let them cut your hair, you should really get someone you trust to do it or look up some self trimming. Just because they want to cut it doesn't mean you have to let them cut it!! But I will say finding someone you trust to trim your hair is essential, you can get a lot of damage and major setbacks from not properly being trimmed.