No Trimming = Growth but is that healthy?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've been researching a good bit about how to grow hair from SL to BSL and beyond. It seems the vast majority have the same underlying concept....NO TRIMMING. I could be wrong but I thought that occassional trims kept the hair healthy, free from splits, etc. I'm considering the no trim regimen but don't want the split ends, etc to cause damage or impact the health of the rest of my hair.

For those that don't trim, are your ends healthy and hair in general healthy?

ETA: for those that are on a strict no trim regimen, please include photos (if you don't mind).

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
There is nothing wrong with no trimming or no dusting if: A. you dont use heat EVER, that means no flat iron and no blow dryer or you use it very infrequently, B. you dont color your hair C. you dont swim and you are not in the sun frequently. You also have to make sure that your ends are moisturized on a frequent basis.

I dont trim I dust (splitender) with every TU. I go down every section 3 times, this takes off about 1/4-1/2 and inch. I do this because I have a dye in my hair that I am trying to get rid of, also I swim. Once I am rid of this dye I will on be dusting every other TU depending on how much I swim and how much heat I use.

I moisturize 2x a day, every day to every other day depending on my hairs needs. MY ends are very healthy.

augiemoment

^^^^^
I dont use heat either, i moisturise daily, and pamper my ends, I also DC weekly but i still have lots of breakage and split ends.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I do not trim except for when I use heat. I've only used heat once this year (in May) and that was my last...well actually it was a cut. But my ends are generally nice looking because I only need to trim a bit off the times that I do use heat. I don't see many splits (maybe 1 whenever I look) and I no longer experience dry hair since finding the right reggie.

ETA: Augiemoment do you wear alot of buns or other styles where you have to pin your ends or put them in a ponytail holder? If so, that could be the cause of your splits. Or brushing or combing with bad tools.

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

i dont trim either. i used to at first then said stop!

i dont use heat,no color, no nothing so i stopped trimming. i dusted once a long time ago and thats it. i moisturise daily and seal. never wear my hair out exept for the afro.always in twists or braids...

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i can go without trimming or dusting for months if i don't use heat AND i wear my hair up almost all the time. i also have to moisturize and seal daily.

i did an experiment----

nov. 2009 to april 2010 i used heat sparingly and wore my hair down once a month or so. i have to dust my ends every 4 weeks....dust, not trim. then at my april appt i got my ends blunt cut. i trimmed 3 inches. before the trim my hair was the exact same length in april as it was november of last year, but my ends were thinner.

april 2010 to july 2010 i used only heat one time. i used my blow dryer on cool setting to dry my hair and then flat ironed. the rest of the 4 months, i wore my hair up 100% of the time. i moisturized and sealed daily. in july, i had NO SPLIT ENDS and did not need to trim or dust at all. i retained EVERY SINGLE INCH OF GROWTH.

i proved it to myself with my own hair. everyones hair is different, but for me, i have to stay off heat and protective style in order to avoid trimming my ends. when i used heat sparingly, not weekly, monthly, my ends thinned and need to be dusted ALOT. i still suffered no growth retention even with those dustings. :(

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I have not had a trim since April 23, 2009....which was actually a significant cut when I got my second BKT done.

phtoos are here: http://public.fotki.com/regswife/

I wear my hair out 95% of the time (curly afro usually). I don't really protective style although I do plan to start protective styling when the weather is cooler.

Mz.MoMo5235

i havent cut since 10/09 and last s&d was in 11/09 or 12/09(pretty sure 11/09 though). i use heat every few months (used direct heat jan, feb, and this month). i wear my hair down every weekend and bun through out the week.

here are my pix

oct cut

ends in dec

feb

may (pony rollerset)

today (hair came out too greasy due to me copying someones reggie that apparently doesnt work for me lol)

as you see, ends are in good shape, not see through or anything. even up close i have minimal splits that arent traveling up the shaft. i try to baby my ends and keep them moisturized.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
For me no trimming equals....no growth! I only started retaining growth when I started trimming and dusting. I would not advise to hang onto damaged/split ends unless you don't care about gaining length. The damaged hair is only gonna break off and take your good hair with it.

Before I found hair boards I refused to trim....my length never BUDGED. I slowly started getting my nerve up to dust tiny amounts on a regular basis and my hair grew longer and longer even with all the other bad stuff I was doing to it at the time so that's proof right there to me how important dusting/trimming is for growth.

I like to occasionally give my ends a fresh start so I'll do a dusting and trim off the good ends too. My hair is now hip-length again after a good big trim a few months ago (I didn't have to trim off so much but I wanted to). I retain length very fast with regular dustings, S&D's, and trims.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
There is nothing wrong with no trimming or no dusting if: A. you dont use heat EVER, that means no flat iron and no blow dryer or you use it very infrequently, B. you dont color your hair C. you dont swim and you are not in the sun frequently. You also have to make sure that your ends are moisturized on a frequent basis. I moisturize 2x a day, every day to every other day depending on my hairs needs. MY ends are very healthy.
Never use direct heat. Occasionally use indirect heat (hooded dryer) with roller setting. I don't swim but I live in FL so I've taken a beating in the sun pre-LHCF. Post LHCF, I am PS'n and hiding my ends from the elements. I don't color but I do moisturize/seal in the morning and moisturize/baggy for a few hrs/seal at night.

ETA: Augiemoment do you wear alot of buns or other styles where you have to pin your ends or put them in a ponytail holder? If so, that could be the cause of your splits. Or brushing or combing with bad tools.
How does pinning damage ends while bunning? I use goody spin pins or good days hair pins for bunning. I dry bun most times although I have attempted damp bunning -- don't think I like damp bunning. :nono:

i proved it to myself with my own hair. everyones hair is different, but for me, i have to stay off heat and protective style in order to avoid trimming my ends. when i used heat sparingly, not weekly, monthly, my ends thinned and need to be dusted ALOT. i still suffered no growth retention even with those dustings. :(
My stylist trims my hair. This last visit I asked if she knew what dusting meant and sadly, she didn't. :rolleyes: I'll just be specific with hair on what I want cut to safeguard from her trimming too much. I only use indirect heat at home and when I go to the salon. I wonder if indirect heat has the same "need to dust/trim" impact as direct heat.

Gigi-07

I've been researching a good bit about how to grow hair from SL to BSL and beyond. It seems the vast majority have the same underlying concept....NO TRIMMING. I could be wrong but I thought that occassional trims kept the hair healthy, free from splits, etc. I'm considering the no trim regimen but don't want the split ends, etc to cause damage or impact the health of the rest of my hair.

For those that don't trim, are your ends healthy and hair in general healthy?

ETA: for those that are on a strict no trim regimen, please include photos (if you don't mind).

I'm not trimming for a while. I'm staying in braids for a long time though (2 yrs).

If the ends are not split, broken, or damaged in any other way, there is no need to cut.

I personally wait for the split to appear before I cut, and I search and destroy. I don't preemptively cut to "prevent" damage. For all I know, the hair may be perfectly healthy from root to tip. I can't see what's microscopically going on in the strand, I can't see into the future, and I have length goals lol, so I'm not gonna cut because the ends may or may not split sometime soon.

Thin ends aren't even a reason to cut all of the time, as I've read on some fotkis of long-haired ladies, different strands grow at different rates. So, one should consider giving the "later" strands time to "catch up" and eventually the hair could be full again. Scraggly, broken ends, however, should probably get a clean blunt cut or trim for health and appearance. I HTH.

MarieB

Also subscribing; I just joined a no-trim/cut challenge about a week ago. We can still S&D, which I do anyway, but I would like to see how I do without cutting for a while (very hard to resist since I just bought new scissors in May). Maybe I'll take better care of my ends than I have been. Of course, my overall treatment of my hair has vastly improved since I started my HHJ, now it's just a matter of keeping my forward momentum.