Non LHCF Believers Turned Believers

ellennicole

My family recently had a 90th birthday part for my grandfather. Every member of my family asked me at one point (while running their fingers through my hair) if I had a weave. I had been ranting and raving about this site and the tips for the past TWO YEARS, and NO ONE (except my twin) believed me. I've even written out my regimen and emailed to my family members with NO ONE really paying any attention. Now that my hair is close to bra strap, EVERYONE wants to know what I've been doing, how I've done it, and why hadn't I TOLD them before. My aunt even went to far as to say that my hair is a "miracle". (LOL I didn't realize my hair looked so bad before). To quote my aunt, "Seeing is believing. I see your hair and now I'm a believer!" Anyway, I thought it was funny. Have any of you ladies turned staunch non-believers into believers through your own personal hair growth.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Wohoo! :clap:
I love reading posts like this. It seems like a miracle, but it's just plain and simple good hair care :)

CarLiTa

hey, i'm convinced my sister to believe in LHCF too... she now comes on, using my s.n, and she goes through the posts and takes notes, lol. She writes them down so that she doesn't forget. The reason why she switched is because I took this weft of hair out and I was going to try to make a baggie with it or something and she saw it and she pinned it to her head and she was talking about how she missed how her hair was long just 3 years ago *she didnt take care of it and it kept breaking, went from brastrap to just hitting shoulders, what a shame* and how she wants long hair again. I copied and pasted some posts for her, gave her this article about the benefits of taking a multi-vitamin and she's beginning to believe. She still has to stay motivated cuz she's too nonchalant, but her hounding her, cuz i dont want her to get bald someday or anything.

ellennicole

Lanelle said:
Hi, do you mind sharing your regimen or "hair routine" and what length you started with?

My hair care started with Shamboosie's book, then I joined this site. I am so grateful for the useful information that I've gotten from the wonderful ladies here. The following is MY regimen which works for me. Like I've said, everyone's hair is different, the goal is to find a regimen that works best for your hair. When I joined this site (the spring of 2003 my hair was neck length). I am going to do a journal one of these days. I got color in August of 2003 which produced MAJOR damage. I'm sure my regimen helped prevent major breakage, but I think my hair would be longer but for the damage caused by the highlights. I am glad to say that I am about an inch or so away from bra strap. :)

In the beginning I did conditioner washes every other day. I would use my humectress or humecto. I've since switch to Suave humectant (I save the real stuff for my weekly shampoo). When I was traveling with my job (3-4 days a week), I would do conditioner washes whenever I was home. Sometimes I would buy bottled water and spray for moisture with my S-Curl, but I never did conditioner washes when I was out of town.

After my condioner wash, I section my hair in four parts and spray surge on my sclap. I then spray a generous amount of S-Curl activator on my hair. I then follow with a good leave in moisturizing conditioner (I switch between Motions CPR, QP Recovery, and Moisture Max). I seal my ends with vaseline (now I add a little ego boost). I wear my hair in either a phony pony or a bun.

Once a week I do a hot oil, shampoo, protein, and deep conditioning treatment.

I do a hot oil treatment with both store bought mixtures or I make my own. Just depends on what I'm feeling. I use Hot Six oil. Sometimes I create my own with olive and castor oil. I put the oil in a bowl, heat it for a few seconds, then I slowly dip my ends first. After my ends are completely covered I put the remaining on the rest of my hair. I put on a plastic cap. Sometimes I'll use my portable bonnet, or I'll leave it in overnight.

I then shampoo with a good moisturizing shampoo. (Nexxus Therappe). I then use a good protein conditioner. I love Aubrey organics GPB conditioner. I rinse, then I used a good moisturizing conditioner. I used to switch with Humecto but I have been sticking to Nexxus Humectress conditioner. I make sure I get it on my ends, then I put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for about 15 to 20 minutes.

I do the above treament the week I don't go to the salon. I go to the salon every two weeks. My beautician also does a deep conditioning treatment whenever I go to the salon. So I basically do a deep conditioning treatment once a week.

My new revelations about my hair:

For the past few months I have been truly limiting the amount of direct heat I put on my hair. In fact, I only get rollersets now. I really HATE the way my hair feels when she sprays hair spray and curls my hair.

I have also been stretching my relaxers. I think that has made a huge difference in how healthy my hair feels and looks.