Not braiding past the ends of your natural hair?

cmw45

I was getting my hair braided this morning and the braider said that because the style is super curly...it's called the bush...and there is no need to braid past the ends of my hair. (Apparently the girl's style who I am copying didn't braid past either) :ohwell:

Neway, I get up to go look in the mirror and it looks a hot hot cooled and reheated mess. I ask her to braid past the ends of my hair. She's like cool. and begins doing it. We both agree that it looks a lot better and that maybe the other girls hair was a lot shorter than mine. (The ends are still partially out but the style looks cute...don't know how long I'll end up leaving these in.:perplexed)

The question remains...If you don't braid past the ends of your hair are braids still a protective style? And, wouldn't that exposure ruin your ends?

ETA: Camera is charging and I will post picture of what it did and does look like.

Last edited:
bush...and there is no need to braid past the ends of my hair. (Apparently the girl's style who I am copying didn't braid past either)

IMHO:nono: she will have bad tangled ends

The question remains...If you don't braid past the ends of your hair are braids still a protective style?
And, wouldn't that exposure ruin your ends?

Fortunately you told her to braid your ends: because, IMHO your ends have to be completely braided if you braid it for the purpose of protecting your hair!

Last edited:
Not braiding past the ends of your natural hair allows the braider to finish alot sooner - that's it, that's all!!! The last braid-tician I visited did this to my head with micros (braided about the 1st two inches) and she finished in 5-6 hours instead of the expected 8-10 hours. I assumed everything was cool and I was extremely happy that I still had some time in my day, but after the first wash my hair ends frizzed up while the braid hair remained straight and it was an eyesore. I should not have had to apply any type of heat to get my hair to blend in with the braids. That's not given my hair any protection. This is one of the reasons why I will do my own before I let someone else do it. Luckily your stylist was willing to braid down further for you without trying to charge you extra. That's what I was told when I called my braider back to ask if she could. Uggghhhh!!!!!

AND, if she knotted the braid hair arould yours before getting to the end that's gonna be another problem in the making.

Sorry for the vent but that's not right at all.

Either braid it down urself or take them out, ur ends will take a beating if you don't:yep:

The first time I got those wavy braids I had a tangled MESS! See before and after pic below. I think it had to do something with her not braiding all the way down and the hair I used. But I learned from that and I recently got them again but this time with different hair. Now I wash them in sections and braid them in 4 big braids before I get out the shower to keep them from matting. After I get to my room I unbraid the four big braids, moisturize with SCURL or Carefree curl, apply a creme moisturizer to help smooth the hair and then I seal with castor oil or EVOO..Then I rebraid them, tie them up and sleep. In the morning I unbraid and the hair is smooth and my ends are not sticking out and the hair is curly. HTH's
ETA: I agree with Kurlee...The purpose is to protect those ends. I got them just for style tho:ohwell:
WavyBeforeandAfter.jpg

NOW.. A fresh set!
HairinBama071-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm...I was told not to wash my hair...

The girl whose style I copied didn't wash her hair because the hair would get nasty...she was like, "But my hair doesn't smell...smell it." And leaned her head over. She was right...it didn't smell. (I know some of ya'll are groosed out, but she's a Soror so hey, gotta luv her anyway.) The only thing is, she does't use the gym and I want to use this as an opportunity to work out a lot without having to do my hair...

...maybe I just won't wear a hat when I run...I mean, it is upstate NY:spinning:

bush...and there is no need to braid past the ends of my hair. (Apparently the girl's style who I am copying didn't braid past either)

IMHO:nono: she will have bad tangled ends

The question remains...If you don't braid past the ends of your hair are braids still a protective style?
And, wouldn't that exposure ruin your ends?

Fortunately you told her to braid your ends: because, IMHO your ends have to be completely braided if you braid it for the purpose of protecting your hair!

Yea, she was great. She's also a student and only charged me $80 to do my whole brown head. I just came back and I have to admit it does look great. I'm a little weary of this no wash thing...but that one lady hasn't washed in twenty years so :look:

Hmmm...I was told not to wash my hair...

The girl whose style I copied didn't wash her hair because the hair would get nasty...she was like, "But my hair doesn't smell...smell it." And leaned her head over. She was right...it didn't smell. (I know some of ya'll are groosed out, but she's a Soror so hey, gotta luv her anyway.) The only thing is, she does't use the gym and I want to use this as an opportunity to work out a lot without having to do my hair...

...maybe I just won't wear a hat when I run...I mean, it is upstate NY:spinning:

If you used human hair, don't wash your hair. The hair will swell and they will slip out.

Back