Not posted in years: Back with colour treated questions!!

Hellooooo!! I used to be on the forum ages ago.

I have relaxed hair which I recently had highlighted. I am not too happy with the results. I wanted a warm caramel colour and I feel its more brassy and copper like. Also, the front section is too thick with colour and places. Like blocks of colour and I prefer fine strands of highlights which is far more natural looking.

The hairdresser who did it came highly recommended so I'm ticked off.

Anyway, I will be seeing my original hairdresser next week to discuss whats the best thing I can do to make it better. She has suggested a coloured rinse on top.

Does anyone here think a coloured rinse will help to bring the colour closer to what I want and also, will it help to make all my hair that particular desired colour?

I'm kinda wishing that I had just dyed my entire head instead of just getting highlights.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
First off...WELCOME BACK!!!

I would try a rinse to see if you can get your desired color. Maybe something w/ no ammonia or peroxide in it. For a permanent fix, I would definitely see what your previous stylist could do. HTH!

Thanks!! I didn't think there was anything that I could do now permenantly since it was highlighted approx 3 weeks ago.

I figured that a rinse is now my only option. If this is the case, are their 'golden or caramel' coloured rinses? If so, do you think they will show on my hair? its naturally dark brown.

STLCoverGirl

Welcome Back!!!!

I was honey_jammz82 back in the day..new name same face, lol. I have always loved your hair!! Just wanted to say hi and it's good to see you back around. I know nothing about color, but I'm sure someone will help you out soon. Can we see some pics????:grin:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I've many raves about Colourshines here. It's a Dominican color rinse. Jennifer MD sells them @ www.roundbrushhair.com.

metalkitty

I don't want to give advice on haircolor since I've had a couple mishaps, but I just wanted to say hi and welcome back!

Thanks everyone!

I'm already starting to think that there isn't much that can be done since I don't know if a rinse can really make a difference but I'll see : (

The colourist I saw used foil to apply the highlights and my gf said that she heard that the cap with the holes is a better method to use since its more precise (and avoids adding too much colour in one area like mine has done).

Mine looks more of a too vibrant yellow copper instead of warmer and deeper.

I have actually had Sebastian rinse in Ginger used on my hair approx 3 years ago and it basically just gave my hair a slight reddish tinge in certain lighting. So the 'colour strength' of the rinse was not high...

Mestiza

BACK!!!

If the highlighted strands of your hair are not darker than the rinse, then it should work. Good luck!

Last edited:

SVT

*wipes sleep from eyes*

brownrelaxedhair? Oh my goodness! It's good to hear from you, girl! :woot:

brickhouse

I remember you. I don't know much about color I just wanted to say welcome back. I sure do miss a lot of the older poster because they were so helpful when I started my journey especially Jade21.

Angelicus

Brownrelaxedhair, it is a honour to speak with you. :notworthy
Welcome back! I do not have an answer for your problem, as I have never used permanent color. But please continue to moisturize until you see your stylist.

hothair

*singing*Welcome back Welcome back Wel-come back! *singing done*
Ok a rinse should definitely help with the tone of the colour, if you want the shade of your hair cooler use a rinse that doesn't have a reddish tinge (so no copper-ish shades) how light did the hi-lites go? pics? That would help in determining what shade rinse you should use...

yokourt

ITA w/ Mestiza, the right color rinse should help to tone down the color. Welcome back!

Welcome back .. Where are the pics ??
I too say do a darker rinse. They have color shampoo and color conditioners at Sally's like The Beautiful Brown Collection.. just don't use Jazzy. I hate that stuff, way too messy and stains everything.
Good luck sweetie!!

*singing*Welcome back Welcome back Wel-come back! *singing done*
Ok a rinse should definitely help with the tone of the colour, if you want the shade of your hair cooler use a rinse that doesn't have a reddish tinge (so no copper-ish shades) how light did the hi-lites go? pics? That would help in determining what shade rinse you should use...

Thank you!!!!!!

I attached 2 pics of me. 3rd pic is borrowed from someone on this board who's colour is exactly what I wanted: a warm caramel colour that goes throughout the hair (I should have had the entire hair dyed to achieve this?).

The shots of me are NOT v. good ones though and I need to take better ones since the highlights are much brighter/lighter around the front than the pics show. Esp when out in natural daylight!! Its really bright there and looks very unatural. These pics tone it all down making them look normal.

Two things were wrong: 1. There is a stronger concentration of highlights at the front which was looks more like strips of colour, I had wanted it to be finer strands. There is one block of highlights in particular (not pictured) at the top of my head near the front that bugs me the most.

2. The colour, esp. at the front is lighter and brighter than the rest of the head. Its like a brighter yellow gold colour and not in a good way. And because its like a bold strip, it stands out against my dark brown hair.

Can this be colour corrected? ps. I just remembered that the rinse that I had once years ago made my hair dry. I never understood why. Tracy who used to post back then (the colour guru) was perplexed too. I remember just counting down the days till the rinse came out. With that rinse, my hair was very rough and dry. Wierd.....

LIke I said, these pics make it looks pretty good actually. In fact, its how I wish the hair colour actually is (look at the pic on the right, I would love that lighter caramel colour IN THE PICTURE actually all over my head). But its MUCH brighter than that in real life, not the caramel look of the picture and only near that front section. And its VERY BRIGHT and so stands out unnaturally.

Should I print out the 3rd pic and ask what can be done (if anything) to achieve that look?).

Attachments

• DSC05310.jpg
    DSC05310.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC05314.jpg
    DSC05314.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 32
  • hair3.jpg
    hair3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: