Not Ready For A Trim

Caramel74

I had my hair cut to all one length 5 months ago and have worn it in protective styles pretty much the whole time. I don't flat iron often, but when I do, I use heat protectant. My ends are in good shape. How long do you think I can go without a trim? Has anyone gone along time with good results?

I trim as needed. I used to trim on a schedule, but since I'm a slow grower, it was hindering my progress. I now trim (or "dust") on average ever 5-6 months.

I believe I am a slow grower too, and if I get a trim now it will feel like I'm just cutting off all my growth. I was thinking maybe going 8-9 months or maybe even a year.

I trim as needed. I always cut splits. SSK, depending on where it is tbh :look:

I can be lax though because I only wear my hair curly. The 2x I straightened it my hair still looked pretty even although obviously it wasn't blunt.

I think curly hair always grows uneven. When you straighten it (with heat protectant always ofcourse) you can curl the ends under. I think it helps that my hair is all one length. When I had layers it seemed like the ends were so awful and see through. But now it's thicker, seems to grow better, and the hemline isn't that bad. I remember reading that somewhere too that all one length hair grows longer and stronger . Plus it's so easy to throw it all back in a bun. :D I don't think I could ever go back. Sometimes I get bored and tired of seeing my forehead with no bangs, but then I think back of having to straighten them and it making the rest of my hair thinner and I push the thought out.

I think i'm going to start trimming once a year. I keep my hair in braids underneath my wigs so it's pointless to me.. Plus whenever I let someone else trim my hair I always feel like they just gave me a haircut.

I think i'm going to start trimming once a year. I keep my hair in braids underneath my wigs so it's pointless to me.. Plus whenever I let someone else trim my hair I always feel like they just gave me a haircut.

Right!? :mad:
What I've discovered is dry cuts. I have my hair flat ironed and then have it trimmed when it's dry and straight. Always make sure you tell them you only want 1/4 of an inch or maybe 1/2 inch tops. Unless you need the ends cleaned up because they are really uneven and it looks really bad and needs it. Then just say "clean up the ends only please." But you're right it's pointless if your hair is always in protective styles anyway. You are not damaging it with heat and it's hidden it the braids. I'm going for a year myself, unless it's bad after another 3 months or so. Then I'll be at 8 months. But when I do go, I'm going to get a dry straight cut and tell them to take only 1/4 to 1/2 an inch off so that's only one months worth of growth :)

I trim as needed. I always cut splits. SSK, depending on where it is tbh :look:

I can be lax though because I only wear my hair curly. The 2x I straightened it my hair still looked pretty even although obviously it wasn't blunt.

This!!!! I have pretty much the same trimming routine and my hair is thriving. When I do straighten everything looks pretty even. I have natural hair with natural layers, but it's still pretty even.

Trim as needed. Search an destroy as needed. I don't trim unless I have to. I mostly search and destroy and occasionally trim once a year (twice if really needed). I protective style 80% of the time so it really isn't necessary to trim much if any. Also trim the smallest amount necessary. If only 1/4 inch is needed that is what I trim but I will go gangsta and trim an inch if it is needed too. Most times I only need to trim the smallest amout 1/8 to 1/4 inch because the end are just fine.. I do it in that case to keep the hair even and thick from top to bottom.

You shouldn't go longer than 6 months without at least dusting your ends. I dust/trim every 3 months to keep my layers cleaned up

I had my hair cut to all one length 5 months ago and have worn it in protective styles pretty much the whole time. I don't flat iron often, but when I do, I use heat protectant. My ends are in good shape. How long do you think I can go without a trim? Has anyone gone along time with good results?

I'm super psyched :yahoo: I had a Dominican blowout and my hair feels incredible. I'm feeling the length and health of it. So payoff for all those days I felt like a bald guy with my hair back in a wet bun. I'm posting a pic for length check and to let you all know I went for a blowout. I know we can't do them ALL the time. But I think once a month is ok. Daddy Visit 30 Oct 15.png

I took out my barber shears (the ones I got off the internet) and just took the smallest amount (1/4 of an inch or less) off the ends after my dominican blowout. I seen a few hairs that were split at the bottom and not many at all so I just skimmed the ends. I hope that's enough! I don't care about that perfect hemline anymore right now I just want it to grow. It never stays even anyway so you're just cutting off length and starting over every time to be right back where you started. If you look at most people's hair that is super long, it's not even at the bottoms anyway.

Back