For those who've trimmed 2 times or less within a year...

zzirvingj

...how did you go so long without trimming...protective styles? Did you retain most of your length without split ends/breakage?

How often do you trim annually now?

Cichelle

I haven't trimmed in over 2 years now.

I am grateful that I am split-ends free. I think there is more than one reason for that. But part of the equation is that I wear protective styles (updos) religiously and I don't use heat, except for the rare use of my hooded dryer for deep conditioning/henna. But my hair has never really been prone to splits.

I have retained my length. It's been boring at times to always wear updos and stay away from straight styles, but it has been worth it. I should say here, however, that my ends do get very dry if I don't attend to them properly.

motherx2esq

I've only trimmed once this year and do not plan on doing it again until next year. I don't really have many split ends so there is no need to trim. I'm not really pressed about having even hair either so no trims here.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I haven't trimmed since last August. I use TIGI Bed Head Split End Mender every time I wash to keep my ends strong. :yep: I also really don't care if my ends are neat and even or not because I usually wear my hair in protective styles, or in a roller set. My ends are rarely exposed.

I really love hairpieces like phony ponies with the baggy method, and half wigs to keep my hair covered. I have no plans to have my hair trimmed in the near future. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll freshen them up. But for now…I'm just letting my hair do its thing.

tenjoy

trim? HAven't had one in years! I dont see split ends and if I do I cut trim that one strand.

I have always worn protective type styles, except that week or two after relaxer day. Maybe an occasional rollerset in between. But even then, I am quick to pin it up out of aggrevation with a pen, paperclip, rolled up paper, whatever I can find near my desk.

So I dont trim, I also rarely ever use heat.

ladylibra

this is something i LOVE about being natural - my ends coil on themselves so much, that it's nearly impossible for a split to travel up the length of my hair. it will stop at the first major bend. so let's see... i had my layers cut in February... so it's been 8 months. i was planning to trim my hair in September but kept putting off going to see my stylist (cuz she's pricey and i'm trying to save $$$ right now). finally i straightened myself, my ends are in GREAT shape. i might need to trim half an inch off. and honestly, i think i could go without doing that because i'm going to stick my hair in braids/twists for the winter.

i think i'll see if i can stretch my trims to once a year... :yep:

ajoyfuljoy

I only got one trim this year and I only plan to get one about every year (maybe I'll get about an inch cut off each time I do it). My hair also isn't very prone to splits. Since I've been taking care of it the past year and a half, my ends stay really healthy.

And i never really thought about ends before but now i give them a lot of extra attention with NTM on the ends and in my pre-poo I always put olive/castor oils on the ends and they seem a lot thicker, they glisten in the light (as does the rest of my hair) and they're just great.

But that has a lot to do with the fact that I grew all my highlighted/damaged hair off. That stuff felt like straw and split like crazy!

MizAvalon

I almost never trim, I think I've done it twice in 2 years. When I was natural I probably didn't trim for 4 or 5 years! :eek:

Protective styles, little to no heat, and just being gentle with your hair.

I have no intentions of trimming anytime soon. It could be years, who knows.

TLC1020

I trim about twice a year, protective styles and little heat has been the most helpful b/c the less I do to my hair the less I need to trim it. Some people and stylists' says you need a trim everytime you get a touch-up and I'm like why if you don't need to.

prospurr4

I am on a personal no-trimming challenge for an unspecified length of time. I moisturize regularly and don't use direct heat so my ends are usually in great shape. I trimmed in July of this year, not because my ends were split or damaged but just to even my hair up a little. Well, my hair is uneven yet again, and I'm learning to live with it. :yep:

I don't plan to trim again for a very, very long time.:grin:

girlyprincess23

i only got 1 trim this year and only plan on getting 1 trim every year. or mayb ill just get no trims and do s&d. i dont want any stylist to trim my hair....too many haters and horror stories!!!

Isis

I started trimming last year, just to see how the lunar method works, not because of split ends or anything. It's rare that I see a split end since it's usually heat that causes them (at least for me) and I don't use heat.

I don't think trimming to make my hair even is necessary snce my hair grows in spurts and will probably never be "even".

Irresistible

I RARELY TRIM AND IT IS BECAUSE I DO ALMOST NOTHING BUT PROTECTIVE STYLING

ITS THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET AWAY WITH NOT TRIMMING

WHEN I PRESS, I TRIM

GoldenBreeze

I've trimmed once this year, and probably will not trim again until next year. I'm sort of on a personal challange to only trim when my hair is an inch past my next mini goal length. My next trim won't be until it is past MBL, or I may push it out until it is WL.

I do wear my hair up 99% of the time, and have very little breakage. This year I've used heat 3 times, and will probably us it one more time before the year is out. Yes, I am retaining my length.

zzirvingj

Wow, I am so glad to hear from so many people that are not trimming their hair very often. This is DEFINITELY giving me inspiration to hold off on trimming my hair, too. I was going to trim in December, but I think I may just hold off until next spring or summer....:grin:

bLackButtaFly

I haven't trimmed since Jan (by a stylist) and July (by me). I'm also a natural and it's pretty rare I use heat or harsh mainpulation, so I don't feel like I need to. I do when I wear my hair straight for some time, and want it to look even. I'll probably get another one b4 christmas.

JustKiya

I haven't trimmed since february, and the main reason I trimmed then was to get the last of the fried/bleached/dyed hair offa my head.

I wear a lot of protective styles, and I'm natural - so even if there WERE split ends - you wouldn't be able to see them, and it would break at the nearest bend. Rather nice, that. Also, I henna every month like clockwork, and even when I did still have the dye in my hair, henna almost eliminated my splits....

Bubblingbrownshuga

I just recently trimmed (see siggy pic), but I think I am going to adopt goldenbreeze's method next time I do. I was going to do monthly dustings, but I tend to forget.

SvelteVelvet

I've only had 2 this year, once in Feb. and the second time in September. I won't be getting another one until my next relaxer which is due in January. So basically I get a trim every other touch-up I , and I mean TRIM not even 1/2 an inch. I like what trimming does for the thickness and mobility of my hair with the bluntness and being more even. I think twice a year is perfect because it's had time to gain at least 2 to 3 inches and growth is noticed regardless of losing a fraction of an inch. If I didn't use heat I'd probably only do it once a year if not every 2 years.

glamazon386

I've had 2 trims this year and my ends have stayed intact and healthy in between. The first one was really to get rid of the raggedy ends from bcing myself. I just leave my hair alone for the most part. I rarely comb and rarely get tangles so I'm sure that helps with the ends. It's not like I'm tearing through it with a comb or manipulating it a lot.

tatje

I know this is crazy but I know it's been over 5 years since I even had scissors come close to my head. I don't remember the last time I trimmed. For what?! Never had the feeling to want to do it. Am I scared of scissors?! No, but don't need them. No I do not have split ends. I guess it's sort of easy for me to be in the stay a way from scissors challenge.