NY'ers: Found a Dominican salon dtwn Manhatten!

NY\'ers: Found a Dominican salon dtwn Manhatten!

I spotted it by accident when passing through the East Village (doing thrift store shopping...another 'addiction' of mine /images/graemlins/cool.gif)

I went in to pick up their card and spoke to one of the stylist removing rollars (large magnetic ones) from a client's hair. Its $18 for a wash and set. When I asked her how much though she first looked at my hair length and spoke to her fellow assistant in Dominican who nodded in agreement at the price. (does that mean its a diff. price depending on hair length??) I saw hair products like Salerm, Biolage and Sebastian being sold.

Details: 20 Clinton Street and Houston Street. Its actually south of Houston. Tel: 212 673 3543

Its a nice, clean small salon and I'm definitely going to check it out. They close 7pm during the week so worth going to after work!

BronxDiva

Re: NY\'ers: Found a Dominican salon dtwn Manhatten!

That's great I know you will keep us posted. BTW in Dominican salons they do charge different prices based upon the length of your hair.

A

AmilLion

BRH, I know it sounds great but after Joseph's I think I'd stick with my regulars lol. You're hair is far tooo pretty to let these wanna be stylist ruin it.

Hi Amillion. I hear you about the Joseph experience.

Now I know I'll stick to my regular stylist (Marceea) for my touch ups. She's my 'rock' /images/graemlins/grin.gif but they're too expensive a salon and I only use her for touch ups.

I've always wanted to find a Dominican salon for wash and sets. This is over a year of wanting to find one. I've even asked Marceea for one but I've noticed that they're always very far uptown e.g. 100+ street. I was looking for something more midtown or less. I don't want them for relaxing, colouring nothing. ONLY wash and sets every once in a while (and I'm bringing my own products).

The touch ups will always be with Marceea /images/graemlins/wink.gif

A

AmilLion

Bravo BRH. Phew, I was getting scared. I would hate to see you come on the board and talking about how you had to start all over again. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yeah most of the Dominicans salons are uptown. I live in Dominican Hair Salon land. In my neighborhood, on one block there's 4 salons and that's no exaggeration. I shall not talk about across the street how many more there are. I guess that's why the wash and sets up here cost $8.

Yeah I remember you saying how you live next to all the salons. Your very lucky.

I'm glad to have just found a wash and set place that's convenient to go to after work and actually is open till 7pm! (not 6 which is impossible if you work in an office).

Ebony

thanks so much for that info, girl /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. it's always cool to know of a cheap wash & set & doobie spot, especially if i happen to be down there & i'm on the go. many of the salons are uptown which, although many are open very late in the evenings nowadays, it can sometimes be soooo out of the way to go up there! also, the ones in midtown are too expensive!
by the way....i absolutely LUV thrift shops & i've been to the one on christopher & others, but have always heard about the awesome ones in the lower east side. can you share them with me? i'd like to check them [email protected]
by the way, there is only so much damage one can do when giving you a wash & roller set or blow out. i don't worry about that too much when i go to dominican salons. there isn't too much they can do unless they're cutting or perming /images/graemlins/confused.gif. i do love dominican salons /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Hi Ebony I shot you an email so look out for it and reply asap!!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif we have to talk.

Yeah, I like the idea of finding a wash/set close to an area that I frequent anyway so I'll def.check it out some time very soon.

I'll also ask to get wrapped after the rollarset and go back under the dryer instead of having the blowout.

Eyvonne7131

Oh you ladies are so lucky to have so many around and have a wash and set so cheap! Here in MD the Dominican shops are comperable to the area and it cost between $35-45! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

free2bme

Great Work!! It's always good to know that one has alternatives.

L.A. Woman

Which salons have wash and sets for $8?? Where is one located? Is Mirror Image in that price range?