Oil-Based vs. Water-Based Conditioners & Steamers

westNDNbeauty

Last year I reviewed the Huetiful steamer and after (what I consider to be an in-depth testing, as compared to all others) the review was not so great. It's been a year and I've finally found a purpose for the $1oo device.

Check out YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfxTqZc4U8

ETA: Twitter conversation w/ Huetiful; I was seeing these tweets from huetiful and others about "hair doesn't drink oil" so I decided to tweet about it. The final response from Huetiful suggests that maybe my hair, and others like me who did not notice a difference using the steamer with water-based conditioners that, maybe our hair is too healthy or not course enough to benefit from steaming. :look: Maybe I'm misinterpreting. Let me know if I am.

I also want to clarify that I use oil AFTER I condition with a water-based conditioner.

Last edited:

Minty

I have found steaming with oil or applying DC and sealing with a few tbsps of oil was EXCELLENT. It is far superior to steaming with just a regular dc.

rice bran
coconut oil
apricot seed.
Pequi oil

bb09

I swear I typed up a message before.. westNDNbeauty, do you get any additional benefit from steaming with oil? Have you ever shampooed then oil steamed only?

westNDNbeauty

bb09 In the video I stated I used the steaming step as a way to seal the oil. I also can say there has been consistency in increased softness of my hair after I steam with oil.

no I haven't shampooed and steamed alone. maybe one day though.

virtuenow

Water based conditioners do nothing for me. The only conditioner that has worked in my natural hair history is the Aubrey Organics line (GPB & HSR)

MWilson569

I have a steamer and only steamed with conditioner.... I never really liked how my hair felt after I steamed with conditioner alone... but I have a feeling that I will like steaming with oil... I may try a hot oil treatment with the steamer....

temfash

I have a steamer and only steamed with conditioner.... I never really liked how my hair felt after I steamed with conditioner alone... but I have a feeling that I will like steaming with oil... I may try a hot oil treatment with the steamer....

I agree, my natural hair seems to bunch/coil up and is a strugle to detangle after a steam treatment with water based conditioners, thus my steamer has been gathering dust. I may try steaming with oils and see if I get better results.

bb09

@bb09 In the video I stated I used the steaming step as a way to seal the oil. I also can say there has been consistency in increased softness of my hair after I steam with oil.

no I haven't shampooed and steamed alone. maybe one day though.
Thank you. I did watch that video before I asked. I just wondered if the steaming afterwards was like the cherry on top.

MWilson569

westNDNbeauty I steamed with a mixture of aloe vera juice and a little black castor oil. When I finished steaming I proceeded to rinse and they condition my hair as usual. Steaming works better with oil than it does with conditioner (with my hair). Oil steaming left my hair extremely moisturized and when I conditioned afterwards it helped wash away any excess oil I might have in my hair. I plan on doing this once a month.

Stepiphanie

I have found steaming with oil or applying DC and sealing with a few tbsps of oil was EXCELLENT. It is far superior to steaming with just a regular dc.

rice bran
coconut oil
apricot seed.
Pequi oil

^^^^THIS!! I usually use rice bran and hemp seed oil (my fave)! I will give this a try though

faithVA

I plan on steaming with sunflower oil and AOHSR. I haven't steamed in a while. I want to straighten my hair for a trime. I will update how it goes when I'm done.

faithVA

I'm going to need to play around with this some more. I wet my hair and then applied flax seed oil and sunflower oil to my hair. I then mixed a little AVG with AOHSR (because I don't like it :nono) and put that on. So I didn't use just 1 product to give a fair assessment.

I steamed for 20 minutes and then rinsed in warm water.

First won't apply oil and condish together because no amount of rinsing gets the conditioner off my hair and scalp once it binds with the oil.

I can definitely feel the oil in my hair and my hair does not feel overly oil. My hair is also very, very soft. I don't feel the need for a leave-in or any other product while I am letting it air dry.

I have tried the steamer with no product and didn't notice any difference. But I will put it to the test in September.

1. mud wash, steam with no product.
2. mud wash, steam with water based conditioner
3. mud wash, steam with oil based conditioner
4. mud wash, condition, apply oil, steam and rinse
5. some shampoo regimen, apply leave in and then steam.

Hopefully I remember all of these.

ceecy29

Wow ceecy29 long time no see. What have you been up to? Where is your end of year reveal, girl?!

virtuenow, Hey girl! I know it's been a while. Life happened and I had to take a break. I initially took a break to study for my boards in the summer of 2011 and then on the day I took the test in September, I was greeted with the sad news that my Daddy dearest passed away suddenly. My subscription expired around the same time and I decided not to renew until recently.

In hair news, I haven't taken that many pictures since then, plus I didn't straighten at year's end and I don't think stretching my hair reveals its length accurately. Also, I don't think my hair has progressed much, so it's hidden away for now.

I'm just catching up to the reveals now so point me in the directions of yours, if available. I'd love to live vicariously through you!!!:yep:

NaturalEnigma

Its so funny because today I was telling my sister how I remember reading a post you wrote about steaming/sealing with oil and how for my next wash I was going to try doing it on my hair. I'm steaming my mini twists with Giovanni's smooth as silk conditioner right now. I plan on rinsing it out and steaming with coconut oil. I'll be back with my results.

Last edited:

westNDNbeauty

Its so funny because today I was telling my sister how I remember reading a post you wrote about steaming/sealing with oil and how for my next wash I was going to try doing it on my hair. I'm steaming my mini twists with Giovanni's smooth as silk conditioner right now. I plan on rinsing it out and steaming with coconut oil. I'll be back with my results.

NaturalEnigma -- What's the verdict chica?

NaturalEnigma

It didn't seem to work for me. My hair was dry and hard after I steamed with coconut oil. I honestly don't know if it was the Giovanni conditioner I used or the oil, because it was the second time I used the conditioner and I noticed my hair didn't respond well to it the first time. I'm going to try it again with Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose conditioner, and this time I won't rinse my hair of the conditioner. I made a mistake last time and rinsed the conditioner out of my hair and then tried to steam with the oil. I don't think my hair likes oil on naked hair.

McQuay30

I'm going to need to play around with this some more. I wet my hair and then applied flax seed oil and sunflower oil to my hair. I then mixed a little AVG with AOHSR (because I don't like it :nono) and put that on. So I didn't use just 1 product to give a fair assessment.

I steamed for 20 minutes and then rinsed in warm water.

First won't apply oil and condish together because no amount of rinsing gets the conditioner off my hair and scalp once it binds with the oil.

I can definitely feel the oil in my hair and my hair does not feel overly oil. My hair is also very, very soft. I don't feel the need for a leave-in or any other product while I am letting it air dry.

I have tried the steamer with no product and didn't notice any difference. But I will put it to the test in September.

1. mud wash, steam with no product.
2. mud wash, steam with water based conditioner
3. mud wash, steam with oil based conditioner
4. mud wash, condition, apply oil, steam and rinse
5. some shampoo regimen, apply leave in and then steam.

Hopefully I remember all of these.

Hello do u happen to remember the results from the above methods, i am having some issues with obtaining the benefits of steaming my hair and considering return it.

MsKinkycurl

It didn't seem to work for me. My hair was dry and hard after I steamed with coconut oil. I honestly don't know if it was the Giovanni conditioner I used or the oil, because it was the second time I used the conditioner and I noticed my hair didn't respond well to it the first time. I'm going to try it again with Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose conditioner, and this time I won't rinse my hair of the conditioner. I made a mistake last time and rinsed the conditioner out of my hair and then tried to steam with the oil. I don't think my hair likes oil on naked hair.

Coconut oil can cause protein like effects in the hair. Maybe the steamer increased the amount of oil that penetrated your hair and caused something similar to protein overload. A different oil may have different results.

I have never steamed with oil, so this is just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using LHCF

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@westNDNbeauty

Thank you so much for creating this Thread. :yep:

We were having a discussion about using Oil(s) with Your Conditioners under the Steamer in the Steaming Challenge Thread.

Good information. :grin:

I have been slapping oil over my DC'er and Steaming. Never thought about doing it after I rinsed out the DC'er?

Will have to try that too.

@Rnjones @Nichelle_jb (FYI)

Last edited: