Ojon Restorative treatment review.

RosesBlack

I got a sample of this with my last order from Sephora and decided to use it Friday as an overnight prepoo treatment.

First of all after researching the ingredients it is amazingly overpriced. However it does work really well. My hair loves the palm and lechiten. My other huge issue is the smell. Very powdery and heavy and I didn't like it at all.

There's a review here at Amazon that breaks down the ingredients and I am going to do some more research and try to make my own.

However if you're willing to shell out the dollars it does work really well. My hair is very very soft and even though I was too tired to moisturize as well as I usually do my air dried hair is still silky.

Great stuff horrible price.

Nola Darling

I agree with you on the price. I've got some from a try me kit that I still haven't used because its so dang expensive and I've been saving it... Lol. I hate the smell of Ojon products. I used the shampoo and conditiner and my sister asked if I was burning candels.

MissRissa

Foreal foreal, Im gonna need some of yall mixologists to get in the kitchen and get me a recipe for a ojon copy. I got a sample with my sephora too and I actually liked it. I'm real picky with aromas and scents but this I didn't hate. come on ladies. I'd try but i'd probably end up bald. my experiments have not gone well in the past.

Monigirl

I can wait until someone steals a butt load of it and sell it on Ebay for cheap. LOL!!! :grin: I want to try it one day.

JustKiya

Foreal foreal, Im gonna need some of yall mixologists to get in the kitchen and get me a recipe for a ojon copy. I got a sample with my sephora too and I actually liked it. I'm real picky with aromas and scents but this I didn't hate. come on ladies. I'd try but i'd probably end up bald. my experiments have not gone well in the past.

If I remember right (there were a bunch of threads on this over on TLHC before the crash), the main ingredient is Red Palm Oil - that you can get from almost any African grocery.

Try doing a search here, as I'm almost POSITIVE someone replicated it.

Lucky's Mom

I thought this review was great - must have been ( or is) a LHCF member:lachen:
112 of 119 people found the following review helpful:
If people would just read the label............., April 29, 2007

By A Book Lover - See all my reviews
First, let me list both the pros and the cons of using this hair product.

PROS: 1) The product consists of 95% of all natural ingredients that will benefit your hair much better than those alternative synthetic conditioners found on the cosmetic shelves. 2) It can definitely work on all types of hair - especailly ethnic hair which tends to be on the dry side & therefore would need more emollients.

CONS: 1) Most of the ingredients (see below) that this product is made of can be found at your local health food store or ordered on-line from a herbal supply company at a fraction of the cost that Ojon is requesting. 2) The main ingredient in this product is simply oil. It's the same concept of the "hot oil treatment" but marketed in a different way in order to make Ojon seem more exotic. The fact is that using any oil - e.g. olive oil, coconut oil - will give you the same results.

Now, I am going to break down the ingredients label so that you can see what you are paying for.

Ingredient #1: Elaeis Oleifera is American Palm Oil. It is native to the tropical Central & South Americas and is a very low cost oil (10 cents per oz) so therefore it is widely used in many industries such as food, candles, & cosmetics. It is very emollient & leaves a non-greasy shine to the hair & skin. The entire base of this 5-oz jar is made up of this palm oil, so the cost is estimated to be no more than a total of 50 cents.

Ingredient #2: Lecithin is a natural emollient that is heavily found in egg yolks. It has great conditioning properties & feeds the skin & hair natural carbohydrates. Many local health food stores sell it for about $2 for a 16 oz bottle. A little goes a long way, so for or a 5 oz jar of oil, only 1/4 teaspoon of lecithin is required.

Ingredient #3: Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbyl Palmitate, & Citric Acid are types of preservatives that many cosmetic industries are required to use to make sure that the oils do not go rancid. They do not contribute any benefits to the hair - they are only additives to ensure the product stays fresh longer.

Ingredient #4: Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto Extract), Citronellol (roselike odor derived from citronella oil), Linalool (liquid distilled from certain essential oils) & Parfum (a man-made fragrance) are all used to give this product it's unique "smokey" scent. Since most of this fragrance base is synthetic (& cheap), these ingredients do not contribute that much benefit

Ingredient #5: Prunus Africana. This may be the only ingredient worth paying attention to. It is an herbal extract derived from the bark of an African plant that many men have used to treat prostate illnesses. It has anti-swelling & healing properites. I would predict that this ingredient is added to promote balancing to the scalp, or to add a natural coloring to the oil (as most herbal extracts will do). But, since there is only a miniature amount used in this product, it is highly unlikely that there is enough to add any benefit whatsoever.

Now that I have listed a breakdown of what you are paying $55 for, it is up to you whether you want to try this product or not. It's not a bad product, but it's definitely not the greatest or most original product either to justify paying that much money. My suggestion to you is to go to the local health food store, buy some natural oils & herbs for about $7, and create your own conditioning hair oil. Apply it to your hair the same way that you would apply this Ojon (as a pre-shampoo treatment) and not only will you get the same if not better results, but you will have enough money left over to go towards something more practical.

Man - a woman after my own heart...........

FindingMe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GREAT! Bc my hair LOVES it!!!:yep: I swear by this stuff! I'll be checking back later...

ravenmerlita

I've used this treatment off and on for a couple of years. It took a while to get used to the smell.

I haven't used either the red palm oil or huile masketi to see how they compare to Ojon but I remember some of the threads. I found this thread which has some info: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=56956

I like Ojon though because it has Saw Palmetto and Prunus Africana (Pygeum) in it. Both of these ingredients are said to improve hair growth, reduce DHT from the scalp (DHT is thought to damage hair follicles) and supposedly help with hair thinning and hair loss.

I thought this review was great - must have been ( or is) a LHCF member:lachen:
112 of 119 people found the following review helpful:
If people would just read the label............., April 29, 2007

By A Book Lover - See all my reviews
First, let me list both the pros and the cons of using this hair product.

PROS: 1) The product consists of 95% of all natural ingredients that will benefit your hair much better than those alternative synthetic conditioners found on the cosmetic shelves. 2) It can definitely work on all types of hair - especailly ethnic hair which tends to be on the dry side & therefore would need more emollients.

CONS: 1) Most of the ingredients (see below) that this product is made of can be found at your local health food store or ordered on-line from a herbal supply company at a fraction of the cost that Ojon is requesting. 2) The main ingredient in this product is simply oil. It's the same concept of the "hot oil treatment" but marketed in a different way in order to make Ojon seem more exotic. The fact is that using any oil - e.g. olive oil, coconut oil - will give you the same results.

Now, I am going to break down the ingredients label so that you can see what you are paying for.

Ingredient #1: Elaeis Oleifera is American Palm Oil. It is native to the tropical Central & South Americas and is a very low cost oil (10 cents per oz) so therefore it is widely used in many industries such as food, candles, & cosmetics. It is very emollient & leaves a non-greasy shine to the hair & skin. The entire base of this 5-oz jar is made up of this palm oil, so the cost is estimated to be no more than a total of 50 cents.

Ingredient #2: Lecithin is a natural emollient that is heavily found in egg yolks. It has great conditioning properties & feeds the skin & hair natural carbohydrates. Many local health food stores sell it for about $2 for a 16 oz bottle. A little goes a long way, so for or a 5 oz jar of oil, only 1/4 teaspoon of lecithin is required.

Ingredient #3: Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbyl Palmitate, & Citric Acid are types of preservatives that many cosmetic industries are required to use to make sure that the oils do not go rancid. They do not contribute any benefits to the hair - they are only additives to ensure the product stays fresh longer.

Ingredient #4: Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto Extract), Citronellol (roselike odor derived from citronella oil), Linalool (liquid distilled from certain essential oils) & Parfum (a man-made fragrance) are all used to give this product it's unique "smokey" scent. Since most of this fragrance base is synthetic (& cheap), these ingredients do not contribute that much benefit

Ingredient #5: Prunus Africana. This may be the only ingredient worth paying attention to. It is an herbal extract derived from the bark of an African plant that many men have used to treat prostate illnesses. It has anti-swelling & healing properites. I would predict that this ingredient is added to promote balancing to the scalp, or to add a natural coloring to the oil (as most herbal extracts will do). But, since there is only a miniature amount used in this product, it is highly unlikely that there is enough to add any benefit whatsoever.

Now that I have listed a breakdown of what you are paying $55 for, it is up to you whether you want to try this product or not. It's not a bad product, but it's definitely not the greatest or most original product either to justify paying that much money. My suggestion to you is to go to the local health food store, buy some natural oils & herbs for about $7, and create your own conditioning hair oil. Apply it to your hair the same way that you would apply this Ojon (as a pre-shampoo treatment) and not only will you get the same if not better results, but you will have enough money left over to go towards something more practical.

Man - a woman after my own heart...........

C

cieramichele

You can try going into a Sephora store and asking about it then asking for a sample. Or you can pick it as your free sample when you make an order off the website that's what I did.

Thanks. I dont remember seeing a store here where I live but..we'll see