Ok... someone talk me down before I tell my mom MYOB...

SmartyPants

I am trying to do a twelve week stretch on my relaxer. I am at the beginning of week five. I've been using MN so I don't need to tell ya'll that I have some naps. Plus, my hair is only ear/neck length so I don't even have a lot of hair to hide my new growth.

Anyhoo...

My mom comes into my room while I was putting MN into my hair and tells me I need a relaxer. Then she trots out the old "if you don't relax your hair is going to break off because of your new growth" myth. I tell her that as long as I condition my hair, my hair will be fine for 12 weeks. The woman knows I condition. Since I am back on MN (after an illness), I wash my hair once a week. I use a hot oil treatment as a pre-poo, then I do a light protein under the dryer for 45 minutes, and a moisturizing conditioner under the dryer for an hour (yes I actually like the dryer). When I remind her of this, she tells me I am over-conditioning my hair.

Now, I cut to a TWA back in February. Then I went to her stylist in June and July for a relaxer and my hair broke off. Since I have been doing my own relaxers and taking time with my own hair, my hair is growing longer (3-6 inches depending on which section of my hair you look at) and it is growing in thicker.

I am seriously about to tell her to MYOB because she even admits that my thin sides are growing in like weeds. I don't want to be rude, but she is working my nerves.

"Okay, Mama. *tight smile*" and let the results speak for themselves. :look:

You're never going to convince your Mom that she's wrong about anything (unless you have an exceedingly gracious mother) so you kind of have to do what you know is right and watch her pick her face up when she sees that what you're doing is working.

stop feeding into it. I went through the same thing. I just ignore my mom when she start talking about my hair. You can't be rude especially if you stayin at her crib. Next time she says you need a perm just nod and say i sure due. Its not like she can hold u down and apply it. People are gonna hate on your hair decissions you gotta get tough fast.

Cosigning with everything said so far. Tell her whatever she wants to hear to get her off your back then keep doing what you are doing...

When you get your results she'll coming running to you for advice. It happens everytime..

"Okay, Mama. *tight smile*" and let the results speak for themselves. :look:

You're never going to convince your Mom that she's wrong about anything (unless you have an exceedingly gracious mother) so you kind of have to do what you know is right and watch her pick her face up when she sees that what you're doing is working.

Yup, let it go in one ear and out the other. It's what I do with my mom.:ohwell:

Cosigning with everything said so far. Tell her whatever she wants to hear to get her off your back then keep doing what you are doing...

When you get your results she'll coming running to you for advice. It happens everytime..

No she won't my mom's hair is already APL (and she keeps it cut at that length). Unfortunately, I got my hair genes from my dad's side of the family so I have to actually work to grow my hair that long. It's annoyed me for years...

Wow, that's a toughie. Mothers are precious, you know? So, tip toe around the issue, but definitely don't be disrespectful. Just say, "Alright, Mom!" "Whatever you say, Mom!" "Want some ice cream?" I remember being able to distract my mother with whatever her favorite subject of the day was, just to get her off my case! By the time we have grown children of our own, we forget what it was like for us to want our mothers to respect our choices.

Telling your mother to mind her own business would hurt her feelings, and you don't want to do that. If you have a good relationship with her sister or a good friend of hers, perhaps you could make an appeal to her through them to be more respectful of your choices. Good luck!

No she won't my mom's hair is already APL (and she keeps it cut at that length). Unfortunately, I got my hair genes from my dad's side of the family so I have to actually work to grow my hair that long. It's annoyed me for years...

I know what you mean but trust me. I have a mixture of my mom's hair and my dad.. Mostly my dad.. And my mother's hair is bsl, she goes to the salon every two weeks, and she's natural ... yet and still every once and awhile she ask me about products and techniques..
So no she won't be drooling over your hair but she won't be able to deny your progress and take note

Don't say MYOB to mom. Girl no!

She is actually doing what mom's do - giving advice. As we all know - many people cannot fathom stretching a relaxer. If you are going to do it, stick with it and just be polite.

You could just say, in that sweet, loving daughter tone "Mom I am not ready to relax my hair. But, I will when I feel the time is right." and just leave it at that.

But don't sass your mama. :)

Don't say MYOB to mom. Girl no!

She is actually doing what mom's do - giving advice. As we all know - many people cannot fathom stretching a relaxer. If you are going to do it, stick with it and just be polite.

You could just say, in that sweet, loving daughter tone "Mom I am not ready to relax my hair. But, I will when I feel the time is right." and just leave it at that.

But don't sass your mama. :)

^ I like that advice.

Back