OK, this is kinda scary!!

BGT

OK, I just took down a weave after just 6 weeks and I'm upset about my hair. Before the weave, my hair was just below shoulder length, was starting to get a little thicker and was feeling good. Now, it's considerably thinner, feels week, and is now about NL. She didn't braid very tightly and while it was weaved up, I sprayed my braids with a leave-in moisture spray. When I was detangling my hair last night, a lot of hair was combing out, but I knew that would happen because of how the braids were in.

I pre-poo'd with a light protein conditioner overnight and then pre-pooed with Motions CPR protein reconstructor for 30 minutes. I shampooed and DC'd for 20 minutes. I then rollerset and after taking the rollers out, my hair looks horrible.... I can understand the thinning, but my hair is a good 2-3 inches shorter!:perplexed

Now, I have a LOT of new growth... maybe 1.5 inches. With all the NG, is it sort of shrinking up my relaxed ends? I'm so confused. :nono:

that's possible. i've never had a weave but i know when i go deep into a stretch, that my hair seems a little shorter. i'm no expert though..

I think it's from the NG. I bet once you relax/flatiron it would look the same. If you only lost shed hairs and no hairs broke off then only other explanation is the NG.

that's possible. i've never had a weave but i know when i go deep into a stretch, that my hair seems a little shorter. i'm no expert though..

I hope so. I'm currently at week 14... this is the longest stretch I've had since I cut to SL. Previously, I was between APL and BSL and stretched for a long time too. Maybe because my hair was longer, I couldn't see the shrinkage as much compared to now I'm SL. I hope that's the reason. :sad:

I think it's from the NG. I bet once you relax/flatiron it would look the same. If you only lost shed hairs and no hairs broke off then only other explanation is the NG.

I flat-ironed the NG and it's still short... granted I have a crappy flat-iron, but my roots are still mostly straight. :look: I will relax at the end of next week... hopefully, my hair will be longer than when I put the sew-in in. :rolleyes:

The same thing happened to me when i first had a weave. I had to do a bc my hair was so bad...i've never gone back, weave isn't for everyone and is probably not for you

I flat-ironed the NG and it's still short... granted I have a crappy flat-iron, but my roots are still mostly straight. :look: I will relax at the end of next week... hopefully, my hair will be longer than when I put the sew-in in. :rolleyes:
If you are sure your hair was only shed hairs and you had no breakage then I think you'll be fine (keep me posted).
Hmmm, thinking about it...do you think maybe the person who did the weave was rough on the ends with the comb??

Aww... so sorry this happened to you. :nono:

Actually, the same thing happened to me. Just look at my fotki album and see the what my hair looked like after my own "WEAVE DISASTER" back in late 2007. :(

I don't think weaves are for everyone sad to say. I don't know about you, but I have fine hair, so it has taken my hair a LONG time to get back to where it was before my weave disaster. I still don't feel like my hair is where it was before I had the weave.

Just some TLC, patience, and avoiding harsh heat/chemicals/styling will help your hair tremendously. Your hair will get back to where it was. It just takes time. :yep:

If you are sure your hair was only shed hairs and you had no breakage then I think you'll be fine (keep me posted).
Hmmm, thinking about it...do you think maybe the person who did the weave was rough on the ends with the comb??

I don't recall her using a comb on my ends, just one to part my hair for the braids. But I don't remember, it was 1.5 months ago.

Aww... so sorry this happened to you. :nono:

Actually, the same thing happened to me. Just look at my fotki album and see the what my hair looked like after my own "WEAVE DISASTER" back in late 2007. :(

I don't think weaves are for everyone sad to say. I don't know about you, but I have fine hair, so it has taken my hair a LONG time to get back to where it was before my weave disaster. I still don't feel like my hair is where it was before I had the weave.

Just some TLC, patience, and avoiding harsh heat/chemicals/styling will help your hair tremendously. Your hair will get back to where it was. It just takes time. :yep:

I have fine hair as well (never had braids before in my life). I just thought that I was taking good care of my own hair underneath. :nono:

That seems really odd for just 6 weeks of wearing the weave especially if the hair wasn't braided too tightly. Other than spraying with braid spray how did you treat your hair underneathe the weave? did you wash and DC your hair?
I have fine hair and wear weaves for 8-10wks with no problems but I'm very anal about treating my hair the same as if I didn't have a weave in. please keep us updated.

I washed every 1-2 weeks and DC'd. I'll take some pics tonight or tomorrow and show you the before/after.

I don't have fine hair but I still find this whole thing kind of strange. . .I wonder what would've made it turn out like this? I'm guessing when you get your relaxer it won't be like that.

Is it possible that you accidentally cut your hair? I've cut my hair accidentally taking micros out before?

I have fine hair and I wear weaves for 6-8 weeks at a time with no problems. Maybe you were too rough during the detangling process. Was your hair moisturized while you were doing it? Hopefully it is merely shrinkage from the new growth.

I have fine hair and I wear weaves for 6-8 weeks at a time with no problems. Maybe you were too rough during the detangling process. Was your hair moisturized while you were doing it? Hopefully it is merely shrinkage from the new growth.

But it looks so thin and wispy. Right now, it looks your hair in your January '08 pic in your pikistrip. Well, you can see my before in my avatar. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with the other posters. Weaves are not every girls friend. Try not to manipulate it to much until you have your touch-up. You can see what is going on after it is straighten. I hope your hair is just suffering from major shrinkage.

Late into my stretch, when I take my weave off, my hair always looks shorter and thinner, it makes no sense. During my last 16 week stretch I was bummed out about how thin and short my hair was getting. (I did two weaves in the last 9weeks of the stretch). But somehow when I permed my hair, it was magically 3 inches longer, fuller and thicker. So lets hope this is also the case for you.

I agree with the other girls; IMO, weaves are not good at all. They may look nice, but they do ruin your hair, even if its subtle. Your scalp isnt getting enough oxygen, your hair isnt getting enough moisture no matter what spray or applicator bottle you use and the threads used to sew the weaves, if this is a sew-in is the worst...Those threads can actually cut through the hair even if they're not extremely tight, so your hair may grow but it'll be thinner and not as healthy,IMO.....

I hope you get everything under control. Just be gentle with your hair

Just wanted to update everyone on my situation. It's been exactly two weeks to the day that I took my weave out. I've washed my hair twice since then and it is looking and feeling a lot better. I'm ending my 16 week stretch tomorrow. I'm getting a touch-up and will post pics when I get home. I think it'll look good. :grin:

I'm glad you're felling better about your hair. I hope everything turns out the way you want. I had the same problem when I took out my weave, but after a couple of weeks, my hair seemed better. It definitely appreciates the TLC and no heat I've been giving it.

I'm glad you're felling better about your hair. I hope everything turns out the way you want. I had the same problem when I took out my weave, but after a couple of weeks, my hair seemed better. It definitely appreciates the TLC and no heat I've been giving it.

I think my own hair felt short and thin because I was used to a ponytail that was halfway down my back for 1.5 month. :lol:

OK, updates in my siggy. :grin: Thank you guys very much. I thought I had lost my hair! :lachen: I am adding some products to my regimen. I bought Gelatin and Biotin vitamins after having read about others' results. And I bought Garnier Fructis Body Boost poo and con to thicken my VERY fine strands.

Last edited:
OK, updates in my siggy. :grin: Thank you guys very much. I thought I had lost my hair! :lachen: I am adding some products to my regimen. I bought Gelatin and Biotin vitamins after having read about others' results. And I bought Garnier Fructis Body Boost poo and con to thicken my VERY fine strands.

congrat for your progress, definately with good care weave works for you :up:

My hair always looks shorter when I have a lot of NG. It's the volume of the NG lifting up the relaxed hair with it. My roots look thicker when I have NG, but the thickness of my roots makes my ends look thinner, even though they aren't. Do you think that's the case with you?

My hair always looks shorter when I have a lot of NG. It's the volume of the NG lifting up the relaxed hair with it. My roots look thicker when I have NG, but the thickness of my roots makes my ends look thinner, even though they aren't. Do you think that's the case with you?

Yeah, after relaxing yesterday, my hair is doing well. :yep:

Back