Okay, how exactly do you apply a lye relaxer??

FromHair2There

I just joined this site and I have been going back and forth on how I want to start saving my hair. I usually use Dark and Lovely relaxers but I'm going to try a lye relaxer for the first time in a couple of weeks because I'm think I'm going to start texlaxing or at least do a relaxer with a bit more body to it.
I just don't know how to do a lye relaxer. I'm used to boxes with everything in there and after reading here it seems lye relaxers don't come like that. This what I've come up with that I'll need:
A base - still not sure exactly what its for
The relaxer - I'm going to try Mizani
A neutralizer - Not sure about this or what brands to get.

I need to know what supplies I'll need and the process for applying this goes. Thanks for your help.

kittenz

I just joined this site and I have been going back and forth on how I want to start saving my hair. I usually use Dark and Lovely relaxers but I'm going to try a lye relaxer for the first time in a couple of weeks because I'm think I'm going to start texlaxing or at least do a relaxer with a bit more body to it.
I just don't know how to do a lye relaxer. I'm used to boxes with everything in there and after reading here it seems lye relaxers don't come like that. This what I've come up with that I'll need:
A base - still not sure exactly what its for
The relaxer - I'm going to try Mizani
A neutralizer - Not sure about this or what brands to get.

I need to know what supplies I'll need and the process for applying this goes. Thanks for your help.

To be totally honest I think you should go to a stylist. :ohwell: Overlapping no-lye and lye can be real bad from what I've read and although lye is supposed to be better for your hair, it is worse for your scalp and the chemicals mixing can cause you to lose hair unnecessarily. Get a second opinion and do what you think is best. Good luck.:rolleyes:

FromHair2There

I'd like to except I live in Pittsburgh and I trust these people less than my little sister. All the hair I've seen here has been weaves poor micros and short hair. I still haven't seen someone's hair that I'd trust that why I've been self-relaxing for the past four years.

Kacie

You could look in the Sticky Thread to find the Newbie's Guide to Starting Out. But, if you're not overwhelmed by self relaxing when using a boxed kit, you could try Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Relaxer - No Lye. This kit doesn't include a base you still have to base your scalp (apply grease, light oil to scalp in order to prevent burns).

WARNING: Before you touch your scalp with relaxer make sure to browse this thread below and search for other self relax threads. Also, practice with conditioner a week or more before you relax to master the techniques.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=46135

FromHair2There

You could look in the Sticky Thread to find the Newbie's Guide to Starting Out. But, if you're not overwhelmed by self relaxing when using a boxed kit, you could try Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Relaxer - No Lye. This kit doesn't include a base you still have to base your scalp (apply grease, light oil to scalp in order to prevent burns).

WARNING: Before you touch your scalp with relaxer make sure to browse this thread below and search for other self relax threads. Also, practice with conditioner a week or more before you relax to master the techniques.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=46135

I already been self-relaxing for years so its no big deal for me. The newcomers guide was very helpfull as well. Thanks!

lana

My Mizani is no-lye for sensitive scalp. Be certain first that your lye relaxer is actually a lye relaxer. I've been using this for a year with no problems, but my container says "no-lye".

When I had lye relaxer applied before going natural, the stylist would mix the relaxer and base my scalp and then apply the relaxer, smooth, rinse, neutralize and condition. It's the same process, just a higher chance of burning because there is nothing to "cut" the lye relaxer.

By the way, to my knowledge, "no-lye" still has "lye" in it, just a smaller amount.

lollyoo

I think you should be ok since you have been relaxing for years.

BASE- vaseline, section your hair few days before and apply vaseline all over you scalp. some people apply conditioner and/or oil to previously relaxed hair the day before. On day of application apply base around the hair line. Helps protect scalp fron burns

RELAXER- apply relaxer to unrelaxed hair,as you do with no lye. You are more likely to burn with lye, so be fast with application. Also try and do a strand test prior to determine application time since you dont want to be bone straight just smoothing once and get in shower and rinse.
Just to add you can add tablespoon of oil to relaxer- it will buy you time when relaxing so you dont get overprocessed easily.

OPTIONAL MID RELAXER CONDITIONING- after rinse, apply a reconstructor to hair and leave for 5 min, then rinse. products you can use is aphogee 2 min, affirm 5 in 1, affirm positive link. others may key in.

NEUTRALISING POO- I like ors creamy aloe/ salon size neutralising poo (same ingredients in both). You want to neutralise and rinse several times, then you apply the poo and leave on for 3 min before rinse.

FINALLY deep condition with moisturising condition for 15-30 min
style as usual.

YOU want to do a protein tx a week before relaxer, dont scratch the scalp- all the usual.

HTH.

I will be making a switch to lye in december as well but have been self relaxing for the last 10yrs, so am confident this should be ok, i have also used lye in the past ( no problem), this was before i ventured into no-lye.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

I agree with the poster above me.

I use mild Silk Elements. I keep mine in for 12-15 minutes

I used to mix it with oil and do the pre neutralizer protein but now I just keep it simple, this works for me.

I also like the tip from Macheriamour of applying castor oil to your scalp daily for a couple days before your relaxer.

This really prevents any burns to the scalp. I also like to use Chi silk infusion and grease and porosity control to coat my pre-relaxed hair.

FromHair2There

OMG thank you so much lollyoo and Radianthealth! This was exactly what I was looking for. Again I'm still going to try to stretch this last relaxer out for as long I can before attempting this. I'll probably add the oil to the relaxer to make sure I don't burn...hopefuly I won't, I can leave a no-lye in forever (this was pre-LHCF...used to leave relaxer in till it burned to get straight as possible big no-no :nono:).