Okay ladies, I'm getting my hair braided at a salon this Friday.

Glib Gurl

I haven't gotten my hair braided since I was, like, 12 years old. (I'm getting cornrows.) Any tips for immediately before and after? I'm thinking I should give myself a wash and light protein treatment beforehand just to make sure that my hair can handle the braiding. Also, I'm going to tell the stylist not to make the braids *too* tight . . . don't need any headaches!!!

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks!

LadyPaniolo

I always make sure to DC several times during the week before I braid my hair. I find that it really makes a difference in how well my hair retains moisture and keeps tangling down.

Caramela

I haven't gotten my hair braided since I was, like, 12 years old. (I'm getting cornrows.) Any tips for immediately before and after? I'm thinking I should give myself a wash and light protein treatment beforehand just to make sure that my hair can handle the braiding. Also, I'm going to tell the stylist not to make the braids *too* tight . . . don't need any headaches!!!

Thanks!

1) Ouch
2) I hope this is not an African salon because when you tell them not too tight, it's like they braid 2x tighter as some cruel joke
3) Ouch
4) all the DC'ing and Aphogee in the world won't stop braids from taking out your hair line.
5) Sorry, but I wish you wouldn't do it.

6) ouch.

KathyMay

Thanks!

Nothing to add just wanted to know which salon are you going to?

Glib Gurl

Nothing to add just wanted to know which salon are you going to?

Oumi Hair Braiding. I've never been, but I saw a lady on the metro with beautiful braids and she said that's where she goes (and that she'd never had it done before either).

Sunshine0801

Thanks!

Make sure they hear you on that point loud and clear. You want to keep your hairline too. :yep:

Neroli

I have had great success with braids prolly because back in prior life, I use to braid hair professionally and so I braid my own hair. My advice:

• don't get them too small
  • don't get them too tight, especially hairline
  • do a moisturizing deep condish before braiding (not protein, but that's just me . . .)
  • do moisturize while braids are in – water, sprits, etc. I have use just plain ole water – spray every night, tie down and go and I retained SERIOUS length
  • do get "touchups" (rebraid around hairline) if braids are in more than 1 month *** this will literally save your hairline*** I think people loose hairline with braids if left in for weeks and weeks and the "drag" of new growth causes hairline to break at the point where the braids begin. It is worth spending the extra dollars to get the hairline retouched and if your braider is a pro, they'll understand and work with you to wash and touchup every now and then.
  • do detangle in sections as you take braids down
  • do a moisturizing poo and deep moisturizing condish after taking down
HTH!!!

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

I'm not sure what style you are getting but styles that pull the hair around the edges back tend to cause the most damage if they are done too tightly. So if you are getting a style like this, just make sure there is no tugging/pulling on your edges.

aurora3140

All of the responses to your post, Glib Gurl, are making me think that cornrows, since they are anchored to your hairline, can be really damaging to that area. I would ask the braider to attach very little, or no hair to start the braid and then add pieces as she progresses down each cornrow. This should help prevent too much tension and weight from being placed on your hairline.

I believe this is called the "feed in" method.

Good luck and post pics of the final results!

Last edited:

Mook's hair

I am an regular cornrow wearer.
Yes. please make sure they do not braid you too tight. if at any time during any row, something feels too tight. tell her immediately so she can make an immediate adjustment.
I agree the the feed-in method is best for the hairline.

I suggest that you avoid protein prior to braiding and instead use a deep conditioner with heat.

I usually lightly blow dry my hair prior to braiding because I think it makes it easier to make the parts.

I suggest that you take a photo of the style you'd like and make sure you are comfortable with the skills of the braider.

After getting the braids it is important that you keep your hair/scalp moisturized the whole time you have the style.

I use several different things.
1. African Royale Braid Spray (Don't get african pride)
2. Diluted Infusium (leave-in) This has protein properties
3. Olive oil & water in a spray bottle
4. Aloe vera juice & water in a spray bottle.

You must moisturize your hair daily! I usually lightly spray mine with one of these things 2 or 3 times a day.

Personally, I don't DC or cowash my hair in braids unless I've been swimming or until I'm just about ready to take the cornrows out. This helps the style keep better.
I find that as long as you're spraying with one of the things I mentioned earlier. Your hair will be sufficiently moisturized.

You should still wear your silk or satin scarf to bed at night.

Oh and I also oil my scalp every few days with coconut oil.

I have type 4ab transitioning hair. it's thick. But I followed the same routine when I was relaxed bone straight too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Glib Gurl

Ladies - thanks so much! Will definitely do a deep conditioning treatment tonight and will skip the protein.

My hairline is definitely something that I want to protect - I already have thinning because of years of pulling my hair into ponytails. Does anyone have more info about this "feed in" method or better yet, pictures?

Also, any suggestions for styles that WON'T destroy my hairline are very welcome!

Thanks!

:bighug:

Neroli

Okay, so I found some pics of feedin cornrows and this actually looks like it would be murder on the hairline:

Can someone explain how this protects the hairline????

This would protect the hairline a llittle bit better because starts without adding hair at the beginning of each braid, but rather at about an inch or so after the braid hair been started with your own hair. The reason this is good for the hairline is because when your new growth starts coming in and "lifting" the braids, there won't be this "extra weight and drag" at the hairline that occurs if the braid begins with hair added in at the beginning. I hope this makes sense?

lilsparkle825

I am an regular cornrow wearer.
Yes. please make sure they do not braid you too tight. if at any time during any row, something feels too tight. tell her immediately so she can make an immediate adjustment.
I agree the the feed-in method is best for the hairline.

I suggest that you avoid protein prior to braiding and instead use a deep conditioner with heat.

I usually lightly blow dry my hair prior to braiding because I think it makes it easier to make the parts.

I suggest that you take a photo of the style you'd like and make sure you are comfortable with the skills of the braider.

After getting the braids it is important that you keep your hair/scalp moisturized the whole time you have the style.

I use several different things.
1. African Royale Braid Spray (Don't get african pride)
2. Diluted Infusium (leave-in) This has protein properties
3. Olive oil & water in a spray bottle
4. Aloe vera juice & water in a spray bottle.

You must moisturize your hair daily! I usually lightly spray mine with one of these things 2 or 3 times a day.

Personally, I don't DC or cowash my hair in braids unless I've been swimming or until I'm just about ready to take the cornrows out. This helps the style keep better.
I find that as long as you're spraying with one of the things I mentioned earlier. Your hair will be sufficiently moisturized.

You should still wear your silk or satin scarf to bed at night.

Oh and I also oil my scalp every few days with coconut oil.

I have type 4ab transitioning hair. it's thick. But I followed the same routine when I was relaxed bone straight too.

Hope this helps.
ooh mook i wish i had seen this two weeks ago when i was letting my crazy cousin cornrow my hair. i was on her about braiding tight, then this ***** tried to run a small toothed rattail comb that i gave her WITH SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS TO USE IT ONLY FOR PARTING through my hair. :nono: i hate her now.

i do moisturize with either braid spray (better braids) or AV juice/glycerin, and i use MT in the parts. time to take these bad boys out now :grin: