Old fashioned ponytail

bonedacious99

Does anyone do a regular ponytail as a protective style? I wore my hair back in a ponytail today and got complimented. I usually don't do ponytails. When I do, I use a barrette instead of elastics. Will the barrette cause too much damage? Will ponytails in general cause too much damage?

I think that as long as you switch up the placement of the ponytail and moisturize and protect your ends, the ponytail is the same sort of "protective style" as a bun.

I do old fashioned ponytails too and I think they will be fine.
They are a protective style for me.

i do. But my hair is in 2 strand twists. Its up in a ponytail most of the time.
I havent found it to be as damaging as when i try to bun the ends away.
I think its too much strain on my ends.
I wrap tights/pantyhose around the ponytail to cover and protect my ends.

I actually have been wearing my hair in this style the whole week. At night I spray my hair with S-Curl and then plait my hair into four plaits and place rollers on the end of the plaits. In the morning I unplait my hair and pull half into a ponytail hanging loosely down, the bottom half of my hair is hanging loose. It looks kind of like I flexi-curled my hair. I have gotten lots of compliments on my hair this week so I am guessing that I look o.k.

All day everyday. :lol:

Like crlsweetie912 said--you have to switch the position up. I use scunci damage free elastics but one day I'll be adventurous enough to use a barette. I'm pretty much a plain jane when comes to my hair.

ChocoKitty said:
All day everyday. :lol:

Like crlsweetie912 said--you have to switch the position up. I use scunci damage free elastics but one day I'll be adventurous enough to use a barette. I'm pretty much a plain jane when comes to my hair.

I wear a ponytail everyday as well, but be aware of pulling as hair can thin at the temples and nape because of ponytails. If I'm not in a ponytail I put my hair in a bob.

Also chocokitty, I read your sig and good luck on the marathon!

LadyJay114 said:
I wear a ponytail everyday as well, but be aware of pulling as hair can thin at the temples and nape because of ponytails. If I'm not in a ponytail I put my hair in a bob.

Also chocokitty, I read your sig and good luck on the marathon!

How do you fashion your hair in a bob? I've been toying around with the idea of getting a sew in so that I can have cut into a bob.

and Thank you! :D

I wear a ponytail on occasion and always get compliments on it. I wear it low at the nape or on the side, using a satin or smooth fabric scrunchie that is kind of skinny (it doesn't look like a scrunchie) and I wear it without making it tight, if that makes any sense. I don't loop it around to tighten it at all and it stays. That means my ponytail circumference is wider than usual and there is absolutely no stress on my hair at all. :)

Isis said:
I wear a ponytail on occasion and always get compliments on it. I wear it low at the nape or on the side, using a satin or smooth fabric scrunchie that is kind of skinny (it doesn't look like a scrunchie) and I wear it without making it tight, if that makes any sense. I don't loop it around to tighten it at all and it stays. That means my ponytail circumference is wider than usual and there is absolutely no stress on my hair at all. :)

Where do you get these scrunchies from? I've been looking for some that won't break my hair.

When I'm not doing braidouts...I'll occasionally do regular ponytails...I can't stand buns so this what I do when I want to wear my hair up...If I'm not tucking my ends under...I would usually moisturize my ponytail really well and seal it in with some kind of oil.

so so chic said:
Where do you get these scrunchies from? I've been looking for some that won't break my hair.
I found mine at CVS. If I had access to a camera I'd post a pic. I think the brand is Conair (not exactly sure) and it comes in a group of 6 or so different colors including black. The fabric is smooth like satin and it's gathered all the way around the elastic like a ribbony scrunchie. It's only about 3/4 " wide.:)

I've been doing a ponytail for this whole week, using Motions Leave-In everyday to "smooth" out the edges and nape. So far, so good. Do you think that using Motions everyday will do more harm than good?

bonedacious99 said:
I've been doing a ponytail for this whole week, using Motions Leave-In everyday to "smooth" out the edges and nape. So far, so good. Do you think that using Motions everyday will do more harm than good?
I don't know about Motions, but leave-ins generally are safe to use daily and add moisture to the hair. A few have more protein than most (like Infusium 23) and I feel those are best to use less often between washes, if one's hair likes it.

so so chic said:

Try the Scunci 'flat design' ponytail holders. Before using these...I had lots of breakage (I wear ponytails everday). Now, no breakage -the hair in the middle is finally filling in.

Back