On Black Beauty and Hair -

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
The article entitled, "On Black Beauty and Hair" is written by 2004 Pulitzer Prize winner for commentary, Leonard Pitts Jr. (I didn't see THAT part until AFTER I sent my email :blush:)

The article had some good points. It can be found here. (I don't know how to rename links.)
http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_13677749?source=rss

The article starts:
Leonard Pitts Jr. : On black beauty and hair
By Leonard Pitts Jr.
Syndicated columnist
Posted: 10/31/2009 12:01:00 AM PDT

AN OPEN LETTER to African-American women:
It's about the need to be beautiful, I know.
----------------------

I just HAD to respond. It's a letter to me, right? It would be disingenuous and discourteous if I didn't respond, right? :grin:

I am by no means stating that I speak for everyone on this site, or as the representative for black hair and black women. I know that I do not.

But as a member of the community here and the female African American community, to which this letter is directed, I sent a note to him via email.

I just get so tired of us being represented and portrayed as a group of people who are so pitiful and unaccepting of ourselves that we must constantly be trying to look and be like somebody else. That is NOT the case, for everyone. I certainly do not believe it is the case for the bulk of the women here on this board. His article was in my local paper and I just HAD to say something. Below is what I said.

Hi Mr. Pitts,
I read your article posted in the Miami Herald, in my local paper. The article was entitled, "On black beauty and hair". My favorite part of it was the line where you wrote, "So if it's about the need to be beautiful, maybe it's time somebody told you: You already are. You always were." That was nice. It is obvious from the article that you 'get' what is going on for some women.

I also wanted to advise you that there is a huge community of African American women who 'get' this as well. They work on themselves to improve upon what they have, not to get what they believe they lack. I think their is a tremendous difference between those two ideas. If you would like to see what I am talking about, stop on over to these places on the web:

Longhaircareforum.com
(I mentioned other sites as well) etc.

I have been a member of these places on the web, these hair boards, for many years! These women are self loving, gorgeous and accomplished. We love to talk about hair, ourselves, our lives and the world. We are a community of mommies, wives, single ladies, accomplished and working on being accomplished.

There are many black women who do indeed know that they are beautiful. 'Good Hair' addresses some women within our community, not all of us. Your time and attention are appreciated.
Sincerely,
Chicoro

Did anyone else see this article? I just sent my email response to it today. I think I need to get off the internet. I've said enough for today.

Irresistible

The article entitled, "On Black Beauty and Hair" is written by 2004 Pulitzer Prize winner for commentary, Leonard Pitts Jr. (I didn't see THAT part until AFTER I sent my email :blush:)

The article had some good points. It can be found here. (I don't know how to rename links.)
http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_13677749?source=rss

The article starts:
Leonard Pitts Jr. : On black beauty and hair
By Leonard Pitts Jr.
Syndicated columnist
Posted: 10/31/2009 12:01:00 AM PDT

AN OPEN LETTER to African-American women:
It's about the need to be beautiful, I know.
----------------------

I just HAD to respond. It's a letter to me, right? It would be disingenuous and discourteous if I didn't respond, right? :grin:

I am by no means stating that I speak for everyone on this site, or as the representative for black hair and black women. I know that I do not.

But as a member of the community here and the female African American community, to which this letter is directed, I sent a note to him via email.

I just get so tired of us being represented and portrayed as a group of people who are so pitiful and unaccepting of ourselves that we must constantly be trying to look and be like somebody else. That is NOT the case, for everyone. I certainly do not believe it is the case for the bulk of the women here on this board. His article was in my local paper and I just HAD to say something. Below is what I said.

Hi Mr. Pitts,
I read your article posted in the Miami Herald, in my local paper. The article was entitled, "On black beauty and hair". My favorite part of it was the line where you wrote, "So if it's about the need to be beautiful, maybe it's time somebody told you: You already are. You always were." That was nice. It is obvious from the article that you 'get' what is going on for some women.

I also wanted to advise you that there is a huge community of African American women who 'get' this as well. They work on themselves to improve upon what they have, not to get what they believe they lack. I think their is a tremendous difference between those two ideas. If you would like to see what I am talking about, stop on over to these places on the web:

Longhaircareforum.com
(I mentioned other sites as well) etc.

I have been a member of these places on the web, these hair boards, for many years! These women are self loving, gorgeous and accomplished. We love to talk about hair, ourselves, our lives and the world. We are a community of mommies, wives, single ladies, accomplished and working on being accomplished.

There are many black women who do indeed know that they are beautiful. 'Good Hair' addresses some women within our community, not all of us. Your time and attention are appreciated.
Sincerely,
Chicoro

Did anyone else see this article? I just sent my email response to it today. I think I need to get off the internet. I've said enough for today.
I love you Chicoro!!!!!!!:kiss:

Irresistible

ok I jumped to post first :grin:

now I an back to say after reading, excellent job lady! :yep:

ur always making me and so, so very many proud!!!

WAVES4DAYS

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing OP... Beautiful letter and great representation of who we are. You can speak for me any day!

LadyRaider

This made me tear up. What lovely writing:

I am your brother, your father, your husband and your son. I've seen you in church with big hats on, giving children the evil eye. And at the jail on visiting day, shoring up that wayward man. And at the bus stop in the rain on your way to work. And at the dining table with pen and paper, working miracles of money. When I was a baby, you nursed me, when we were children, I chased you through the house; when we were dating, I missed half the movie, stealing sugar from you. I saw you born; I took you to your prom; I glowed with pride when you went off to school. I have married you and buried you. I love your smile. A million times, you took my breath away.

You are the rock and salvation of our people, the faith that remains when all hope is gone. So if it's about the need to be beautiful, maybe it's time somebody told you:

You already are. You always were.

TeeWhyAre

Wow. I 1. Can read this as lovely poetic art and can see the beauty and value in the letter. 2. Agree w/ many points of jamaraa's POV.and 3. Thank you for your response letter. I certainly hope he will appreciate it and receive it for what it is.