once and for all...

which pic do you think better represents my texture?

• Picture 1

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • Picture 2

Votes: 42 44.2%

• Total voters

ladylibra

this 3c/4a garbage is KILLING me. when i claim 4a people tell me they *think* i'm a 3c... but when i look at other women who claim 3c, i don't think my hair looks or behaves much like theirs. it gets confusing trying to go by descriptions too, since 3c was kinda made up and squeezed in between 3b and 4a. on NaturallyCurly it's described as "pencil-sized" curls/coils and says 4a is "coffee-stirrer" circumference. then you scroll down to read the 4a description and it says 4a ranges from "pen size to penspring coils." WTH??? :perplexed that's too much overlap...

so now that i'm done venting... :lachen:

i figured i'd take a poll. which of these pics resemble my hair more in your opinion? (yes i know they have different lengths, bear with me :drunk: )

3c4a.jpg

It's really hard to say! I think you're a mixture of both. Judging from some of your fotki pics, your curls vary in size.

I can't choose:wallbash:

When I look at the first one, I'm like, okay, thats her, then I look at the second one, and I get confused...sorry, I'm no help at all:nono:

Girl, your hair looks like different textures in most of your fotki pics:ohwell::grin:. BUT going by your bun pic I'm gonna say the first pic:yep: I would consider you as a 3c.

this 3c/4a garbage is KILLING me. when i claim 4a people tell me they *think* i'm a 3c... but when i look at other women who claim 3c, i don't think my hair looks or behaves much like theirs. it gets confusing trying to go by descriptions too, since 3c was kinda made up and squeezed in between 3b and 4a. on NaturallyCurly it's described as "pencil-sized" curls/coils and says 4a is "coffee-stirrer" circumference. then you scroll down to read the 4a description and it says 4a ranges from "pen size to penspring coils." WTH??? :perplexed that's too much overlap...

so now that i'm done venting... :lachen:

i figured i'd take a poll. which of these pics resemble my hair more in your opinion? (yes i know they have different lengths, bear with me :drunk: )

3c4a.jpg
I hate the typing system too. I just say my hair is curly:look:

it just makes no sense LL, no sense at all.

sorry i'm of no use in this thread :perplexed

hey! have you tried coin flipping? works for me :lachen:

I picked picture 1 because your hair can look like either pic and a 3c could look like a 4a sometimes but a 4a will not look like a 3c at anytime unless chems or heat is applied.

I picked picture 1 because your hair can look like either pic and a 3c could look like a 4a sometimes but a 4a will not look like a 3c at anytime unless chems or heat is applied.

With a little gel and some water, I can make my 4a hair looks 3c...:ohwell:

Neither:look:.

You know your hair is very unique, I've seen very few heads of hair like yours. Your hair seems to have the texture of 4a hair but the size of the coils sometimes seem to be as loose as 3b or c so it's just hard to say. You just have the type of hair that is hard to classify, fortunately it is very beautiful, that is something all of us can agree on.

Ummm, I honestly have to say your hair resembles more of Pic #1, but yet at the same time, it appears you have more of the thickness of Pic #2. Shoot, I dunno, my eyes are darting back and forth, and looking at the pics on your siggie too, it's hard to say LOL Just go ahead and flip that coin and call it how you see it.:grin:

You know your hair is very unique, I've seen very few heads of hair like yours. Your hair seems to have the texture of 4a hair but the size of the coils sometimes seem to be as loose as 3b or c so it's just hard to say. You just have the type of hair that is hard to classify, fortunately it is very beautiful, that is something all of us can agree on.

ITA. Your hair is just beautiful and very unique. Anywho, don't let these people worry you trying to put you in a box. You have obviously found what works for you and your hair.

Last edited:
It's very hard to say, I think you are a combination of both pictures. Whatever the case , you are definitely on my list of natural hair idols. And for me personally, I know I have a combination of coils, corkscrews, waves and hardly any definition in some areas so it is hard to use the hair typing systems when you have so many different textures on your head.

It's very hard to say, I think you are a combination of both pictures. Whatever the case , you are definitely on my list of natural hair idols. And for me personally, I know I have a combination of coils, corkscrews, waves and hardly any definition in some areas so it is hard to use the hair typing systems when you have so many different textures on your head.

I second that, but LL, I think you're a mix of both, leaning more towards that 3c side.

With a little gel and some water, I can make my 4a hair looks 3c...:ohwell:

Yeah...those two pictures are so similar in curl size, but a little different in texture.

It's very easy for our hair to take on the look of another hair type with the use of product or drying it a different way etc. My hair can look like anything from 4a/b to 2 without even using heat. It's what your hair looks like without any product, air dried that counts, right? I don't even know :lol:

I would say you're probably a bit of both.

Like most of us, we don't have just one hair type :spinning:

i dunno about 3b... :look: i liked the rest of your post though. very encouraging! :grin:

Yeah...those two pictures are so similar in curl size, but a little different in texture.

yep that was my point... both 3c and 4a hair are described as pencil-sized/pen sized. 4a is described as having an S-pattern but only when stretched, so i assumed that meant all the tight coils i have are 4a and the the ones that hang in an S-pattern naturally (not as tightly coiled) are 3c. but 3c is also described as "tight curls in corkscrews." that sounds nothing like S-pattern... but it does sound suspiciously like a coil. :perplexed

seems like it's up to interpretation...

i already know i have both textures on my head. :yep: but i have been describing myself as a 4a with some 3c, and so far looks like most people think it's the other way around.. :look:

i dunno about 3b... :look: i liked the rest of your post though. very encouraging! :grin:

yep that was my point... both 3c and 4a hair are described as pencil-sized/pen sized. 4a is described as having an S-pattern but only when stretched, so i assumed that meant all the tight coils i have are 4a and the the ones that hang in an S-pattern naturally (not as tightly coiled) are 3c. but 3c is also described as "tight curls in corkscrews." that sounds nothing like S-pattern... but it does sound suspiciously like a coil. :perplexed

seems like it's up to interpretation...

i already know i have both textures on my head. :yep: but i have been describing myself as a 4a with some 3c, and so far looks like most people think it's the other way around.. :look:

this is what i thought you were too :look:.

i recently saw a natural who had almost the exact same texture as me (4a with some 4b) when we both had TWAs. she has been a natural longer than me so now her hair is quite long and it hangs and has more weight.

based on photos of her recent hair i presume most people think her hair is now 3c. however, i think the weight of her hair may have stretched her coils. she may well be a mix of a looser type that only became obvious as her hair grew though.

Last edited:
I say the first pic. Your hair looks 3c to me LL. From seeing your hair vids I could really see your texture and you look mostly 3c. I can't even type my own hair though so who am I tellin':look:, lol.

I think I agree with your original sentiment about hair typing. It does seem a bit arbitrary. Your hair looks like neither of those pics. Sorry I couldn't be of help with the letter/numbers thing. I'll just say your hair type is the gorgeous type and leave it at that.

A mix, but a little more like the first, esp. when looking at your videos. But if you can't decide and really want a type, just go ahead and put a slash. Seems like most of the board who types their hair do it with a slash like 4a/4b, so you can say 3c/4a. :spinning:

It's hard to say LL. I don't think your hair really looks like either photo. :grin:

See, I think my hair looks more like the second photo (I guess that's the 4a), and you and I are hair related, but not hair twins (your curls are bigger, and you have less undefined hair). I still say you're a loose type 4, like Jazzi and some of the other women on happycurls, whereas I'm a tight type 4. But I guess based on what's popularly called 3c, you'd qualify.

Whatever the type, I LOVE your hair, it's gorgeous!

Girl, it really no big deal. You have your ownhair type. Not everyone's hair easily fits some arbitrary classification system. I was on your Fokti admiring the other day. Your hair type is...beautiful.

Back