One way to grow long hair story

i found this story of how one woman grew her hair long. don't know how true it is or if it's already been posted here. if it's already been posted, my apologies. anyhoo, i still want to know what you savvy ladies think. will this method work? i'm nervous about sew ins but... i'd be willing to do it for 6 weeks to finish growing my texlax out. :) any thoughts?

How I Grew My Hair LONG
First, let me say that I am glad that a forum such as this one exists. I wish I had known years ago what I am about to share with y'all now. This post will be long, but if you are serious about growing you hair really long (past shoulder length), then it's worth reading.

For years, I had been relaxing my hair. I was frustrated by the breakage, damage, dryness, shedding, etc. My hair is no where near straight (not extremely coarse though), in fact I've always thought that I had "average African American Hair", if such a thing even exists. Black Hair. I'm not mixed, or half-anything that I know of. I don't know my exact hair type, but I think it may be 4b, or something like that. If your hair is extremely coarse, I think this willl still work for you.

I was at my wits end and very depressed when I was introduced to a stylist that had a reputation for growing very long African American hair. When I met him I told him to cut it all off and start over. He laughed and told me that he could grow my hair really long, and said it like it was no big deal. He told me to trust him. Although I didn't believe him, I decided to take the plunge. This is what he did:

The first thing he told me was that I was going to have to stop using relaxers and never use any chemicals in my hair, ever again. Then, he told me that the fastest way to grow my hair was with a sew in weave.

Alot of people don't like sew ins because they think it can break your hair off, or pull it out. This can be true if your stylist doesn't know how to properly put it in, maintain it, or take it out.

First, he washed, deep conditioned, and blow dried my hair. He then braided up ALL of my hair, including the edges, leaving only a palm sized patch of hair out in the front. He used a little olive oil (like you'd find at the grocery store) as he braided. He then sewed the braids together, 2 at a time, to tighten and secure them. The key to braiding is, you cannot make them too small and thin, and you cannot use "filler" hair during the braiding process. You will be tempted to want thinner braids because that makes for a flatter weave, but this is a mistake. Thin braids put too much stress on the hair and scalp. Also, don't make the braids too tight, which damage your hair follicles. Sometimes he used a "net" to cover the braids. Nets protect your hair from "nicks" when you comb your weave daily. However, nets make your braids more difficult to dry when you're getting your hair done.

He then sewed the tracks on in a way that you could not see my edges, covering the braids on the side of my head, and cut the weave into a style. He pressed or flat ironed the patch of free hair in the front, using a little olive oil, and blended the hair with the weave. Fabulous.

Maintence is key here. I got my weave washed every week or 2 (or 3, ugh), depending on my schedule. When I did, he treated the weave like gold. He washed it gently, like you would a pair of pantyhose or fine lingerie, squeezing the shampoo through the hair. He never scrubbed or rubbed my scalp or the tracks. Instead, he used a squeeze bottle to apply SEA BREEZE to the braids and tracks. I know it sounds crazy, but he said it kills bacteria and breaks down any buildup.

I'd keep the weave in for about 2 months, no less than 6 weeks. Anything less than that can cause stress to your hair. Every month, I'd have the weave "tightened", and it looked and felt almost like the weave was new and fresh. I've even left the weave in for 4 months. Some people say that you shouldn't leave a weave in for that length of time, and I agree, unless they know how to properly take it out.

Now, for the most important part. The takedown. He'd first remove the tracks and net carefully. It's best to have the person who put the weave in, take it out. Then, he'd wrap a towel around my neck, and while the braids were still intact, completely saturate them with INFUSIUM 23. Sometimes, he'd put a hot oil treatment on top of that. Only then, while my hair was wet, would he begin to very gently undo the braids. This is usually where we make the biggest mistake, and we lose the most hair. If you don't take anything else away from this post, take this: NEVER TAKE YOUR BRAIDS OUT WHILE YOUR HAIR IS DRY. NEVER!! Conditioning your hair proir to the takedown makes it slippery, and prepares it for the shampoo. Sure, my hair was hella nappy, but I lost almost NO hair. In fact, the hair that I did lose was probably due to the natural shedding that would occur during the 2 months the weave was in.

He'd then wash, deep condition and blowdry my hair. After the relaxed ends were off, he almost never trimmed my ends at all. After the first year, my hair started to grow really fast, and leaving the weave in for 4 months no longer became an option. I continued this process for 2 1/2 years. I have since removed the weave.

Now, I have absolutely no chemicals in my hair at all...100% virgin hair. My hair is halfway down my back. It has grown in a V shape, and the longest part is at my brastrap. I don't have to get it pressed anymore...I just have it washed and flatironed. My stylist says that this happens often: my hair was so traumatized by abuse and chemicals over the years, and now that it's healthy, the grade has changed a bit. I don't use heat on it, and it's long enough that I can wear it straight, or pull it into a ponytail and get away with it. If I had left my weave for 2 more years, my hair would probably be about 4 inches from my waist. He has customers right now that have hair that long, and longer!

Ladies, for years we've been told that we "need" relaxers, or texturizers, and that our hair cannot grow long. I am living proof that this is not true. If I can grow my hair long, you can too, because this is the longest my hair has ever been. Try this system, but follow it to the letter. It will work for you. Happy growing LSA, update us on your progress.

Last edited:
Honestly this sounds really good but I hope all of it isn't necessarily true b/c I just got tree braids & the cornrows are extremely small & I was hoping this would be my staple hairstyle for the next 18 months. Hmmm...:perplexed

i've heard that the smaller the braids the more stress it puts on your hair. i suppose if you don't leave them in too long it won't be a problem. i've gotten micros before and as long as i didn't do anything silly like go swimming (in an overly chlorinated pool) i was fine. the only bad experience i had with small braids was when i decided to go swimming with the micros. :nono:

I wonder if this is how esoterica does her weaves. I checked out her fotki and she's grown her hair pretty long using sew-in weaves

I'm glad this worked for others , my hair hates any form of extensions, weaves, braiding, so I'll have to continue the old fashion way.:yep:
Very nice read though.

I been thinking about what to do with my hair.....my boyfriend hates weave but he suggested that I put one in. The last time I had a weave, it lasted 3 weeks because the braids were too tight.....I had a headache for over a week. I left it cause I had to go to the caribbean but as soon as I got back I took it off and I ended up cutting off some of my hair :ohwell:

But I think I may try again.....I bought a wig but I'm sometimes afraid it will fly off :lachen:

I been thinking about what to do with my hair.....my boyfriend hates weave but he suggested that I put one in. The last time I had a weave, it lasted 3 weeks because the braids were too tight.....I had a headache for over a week. I left it cause I had to go to the caribbean but as soon as I got back I took it off and I ended up cutting off some of my hair :ohwell:

But I think I may try again.....I bought a wig but I'm sometimes afraid it will fly off :lachen:
yep that's why i haven't done wigs. how do you keep that sucka on anyway?

Interesting.. I just also hope she learned how to properly care for her natural hair, too. Too many cousins/family members i've seen grow their hair to great lengths with sew-ins or micros/braids but once they take them out they don't know how to properly take care of their own hair to maintain that length. Where did you find this LS, if you don't mind me asking?

Interesting.. I just also hope she learned how to properly care for her natural hair, too. Too many cousins/family members i've seen grow their hair to great lengths with sew-ins or micros/braids but once they take them out they don't know how to properly take care of their own hair to maintain that length. Where did you find this LS, if you don't mind me asking?
my concern too. trying to read up on styles for natural hair so i'll know what to do with it. i found it on the infamous lsa (lipstick alley).

Last edited:
yep that's why i haven't done wigs. how do you keep that sucka on anyway?
I wore it twice and it stayed on pretty good....it didn't move or anything. I just put on the wig cap and put on the wig. The one I have , has some adjustable straps but I haven't used it. I still get scared when a high wind blows:lachen::lachen:

I have been using weaves for the past year, and its great. I've moved from chin length to near APL in several months. However, like the wheezy807 said, its caring for the hair once its grown thats the challenge!

Because I wasnt cautious, I had several hard presses damage my hair. Its all down to maintenance IMO.

I did the full head weave on time....and it was so pretty!!!
It wasn't too tight at all.....
But after about 24 hours I started to feel like I had a helmet on my head....It was summer time and I started to sweat....
It was uncomfortable and then it started to itch....I mean really itch....I couldn't get to my scalp...
I tried everything my weave wearing friends suggested and nothing worked...
So 24 hours later I went back and had her remove it ......
She couldn't get that stuff out my head quick enough...My scalp needs air!!!! I can't do the helmet thing.....
$500.00 down the drain!!!:wallbash:

I have been using weaves for the past year, and its great. I've moved from chin length to near APL in several months. However, like the wheezy807 said, its caring for the hair once its grown thats the challenge! Because I wasnt cautious, I had several hard presses damage my hair. Its all down to maintenance IMO.
ok so that's my thing. once i hit SL, i want to press my hair every two weeks but only after good conditioning, a heat protectant and with a flat iron of 350 degrees max. what qualifies as a hard press?

ok so that's my thing. once i hit SL, i want to press my hair every two weeks but only after good conditioning, a heat protectant and with a flat iron of 350 degrees max. what qualifies as a hard press?

A hard press is when the iron is above 400 degrees and all it takes is 1-2 passes with the comb/flatiron to get the hair str8. It very quick and can get the hair looking str8 as a relaxer. Its like the old faishoned way of pressing hair.

I found even with DC and heat protectants, frequent pressing can be a bit stressing for my hair.

Now i've been doing aphogee treatments to get it back into shape. however my stylist is insisting i cut the damaged hair.

A hard press is when the iron is above 400 degrees and all it takes is 1-2 passes with the comb/flatiron to get the hair str8. It very quick and can get the hair looking str8 as a relaxer. Its like the old faishoned way of pressing hair.

I found even with DC and heat protectants, frequent pressing can be a bit stressing for my hair.

Now i've been doing aphogee treatments to get it back into shape. however my stylist is insisting i cut the damaged hair.
wow i'm sorry to hear that. how often did you press? now i'm thinking maybe i should just press once a month. :perplexed

eh its ok lol my hair is getting better.

I did it once every 3 weeks. the main problem was the high setting. it was professionally done, but it was still wreckless. I've since changed stylists and my hair seems to be getting over it. it jus not kool to have stringy heat damage in between curly locks.

I would say its you are gonna do it, then a low setting a solid regime and infrequency is the key. but thats just my opinion.

i kno pinkskates presses her hair with an ol fashioned comb and gets no heat damage. i dont know the specifics involved in her method, but its still bouncy & curly.

eh its ok lol my hair is getting better.

I did it once every 3 weeks. the main problem was the high setting. it was professionally done, but it was still wreckless. I've since changed stylists and my hair seems to be getting over it. it jus not kool to have stringy heat damage in between curly locks.

I would say its you are gonna do it, then a low setting a solid regime and infrequency is the key. but thats just my opinion.

i kno pinkskates presses her hair with an ol fashioned comb and gets no heat damage. i dont know the specifics involved in her method, but its still bouncy & curly.
yep i checked out pinkskates fotki. i think she does it like every 2 weeks or so. she uses aveda products, predominately. i love the stuff, and spent 100 bucks last week stocking up, i'm expecting it to be worth it. i'll be sure to keep an eye on the setting. hope it works.

Her regi sounds good and may work for some. I know it wouldn't work for me because the weather here is dry and my hair needs a lot of moisture. Plus I workout and sweat too much and couldn't imagine only washing every 2-3 weeks. I think people can modify it by wearing braids or twists in their hair instead of the weave. The rec about applying the oil and infusium is a really good tip. I do that with some cheap conditioner and water in a spray bottle when I take mine down. I went from a fro in 2005 to my current length so it is possible. You just have to find what works for you, stick to it, and you will be amazed at how long and healthy your hair will be. HHG ladies!!! Q

yep i checked out pinkskates fotki. i think she does it like every 2 weeks or so. she uses aveda products, predominately. i love the stuff, and spent 100 bucks last week stocking up, i'm expecting it to be worth it. i'll be sure to keep an eye on the setting. hope it works.

I hope it works for u too! I really wanted to give it a go, but I'm budgeting heavily this year :ohwell: and cant use the entire line. I like the be curly curl enhancer and i love the anti-humectant pomade (its nice for smoothing edges). keep us posted :grin:

This story definitely sounds plausible. Can you post the link where you got it from?

This is how I plan to grow my hair out this year, with kinky twists. I'll be getting them 3 times this year, wearing it three months at a time.

The first time I wore them for 3 months, and it was the first time my hair was almost APL. I just took flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil to keep my scalp and new growth soft. I washed it once every 2-3 weeks and moisturized with NTM diluted with Fermodyl 619, and this regimen worked great for me.

I never considered removing them on wet hair though...I might have to try that.

I did the full head weave on time....and it was so pretty!!!
It wasn't too tight at all.....
But after about 24 hours I started to feel like I had a helmet on my head....It was summer time and I started to sweat....
It was uncomfortable and then it started to itch....I mean really itch....I couldn't get to my scalp...
I tried everything my weave wearing friends suggested and nothing worked...
So 24 hours later I went back and had her remove it ......
She couldn't get that stuff out my head quick enough...My scalp needs air!!!! I can't do the helmet thing.....
$500.00 down the drain!!!:wallbash:
I know sometimes when u havent had ya hair braided in a while it will itch like HELL once u get it done again... And then the sweat didnt help the situation at all!

Hrmmm, all that is is a lo-mani regimen - lo-mani on natural hair - treated her ends like gold - you see how he never trimmed her natural hair? - it's the weave version of C&G, really.... :yep: Sounds like a totally believable story.....

I think the above reg could definately grow hair long. I see:
low manipulation
protective styling
moisturizing

Those are all key aspects to a successful reg, IMHO.

I agree that it is quite similar to the C&G method.

This story definitely sounds plausible. Can you post the link where you got it from?

This is how I plan to grow my hair out this year, with kinky twists. I'll be getting them 3 times this year, wearing it three months at a time.

The first time I wore them for 3 months, and it was the first time my hair was almost APL. I just took flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil to keep my scalp and new growth soft. I washed it once every 2-3 weeks and moisturized with NTM diluted with Fermodyl 619, and this regimen worked great for me.

I never considered removing them on wet hair though...I might have to try that.
yep i found it on lipstick alley. here's the link http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=110698
hey can i ask why you diluted the ntm?

Back