Page- Brownrelaxedhair!

caramelbarbie

<font color="blue"> Hi BRH!
I really like your hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif I wanted to know if your blowdry or roller set. I think you mentioned roller setting in a few of your posts but how do you get your hair soooo straight after roller setting??? I've been really good for 3 months and gave up my blowdrying but on the 7th for my b-day i blowdried my hair on low and flat iron and wow i was sooooo happy because my hair look fab! Im trying really hard not to blowdry again but its sooooo tempting. Help! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I only rollarset and for me the key things to help it stay straight are:

1. Using a fine toothed comb to make sure each hair section is smoothed out.
2. Using conditioners that make the hair more slippery e.g. products with silicones like Motions Moisture Plus (a personal fave).
3. Using Keracare Silken Seal just before rollarsetting which also makes the hair smoother and helps the hair lie flatter against each rollar. I use this sometimes not all the time.
4. Mixing a touch of olive oil with conditioner also makes the hair more slippery which helps the hair lie flat against the rollars.

After the hair is dry, I wrap using a comb or paddle brush (the paddle brush makes the hair come out smoother though!!) then go to bed with a satin scarf.

Amillion from this board posted a fantastic step by step procedure on rollarsetting which really helped me get the hang of rollars and pins and doing a good rollarset.

The pic of me wearing the strapless dress wasn't a rollarset. That was the day of a touch up where the hairdresser blow dried on a cool setting and followed with curling irons. I only have that procedure done on touch up days once every other month ish and its not damaged me at all.

Hope this helps!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

caramelbarbie

<font color="blue">Thanks so much for your responce!
Are there any type of rollers you could recommend???
Honestly it sound like a lot more work that blowdrying but I'm going to give it a shot. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's the rollarsetting post that 'saved me' (see below from Amillion) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The rollars I use are called Magnetic Rollars. They are smooth all over with holes in.They come in diff colours and sizes. I use the grey ones. Trust me, its fiddly at first but it really does get better. If you can, get a rollarset at a Dominican hair salon to see a good example of it. That helps alot too. I used to use purple rollars with the covers but have now 'graduated' to the pins following Amillions post (below). Let me know how you get on?

Anyone's having problems roller setting their hair while wet?

Well here's my how-to if you care to read.

Saturate hair with leave-in conditioner or setting lotion. Part the hair in three sections. From the hair line to the nape of your neck (think how the Dominicans part).

You want to make a 1.5" section in the front as if your combing a bang. You want to comb the hair towards the back at an 180 degree angle so that you can keep the roots straight and roll taunt towards your scalp. Insert the clips onto the hair thats extending from roots.

Now for the rest of your hair. You want to part hair going back in about 1.5-2.0" sections. Comb this hair from the roots straight up but at an angle going towards 12'oclock and proceed to roll. Roll all hair in that row straight (down the middle or center of your head) back.

Now for the sides. Comb the sides straight down, starting with your left or right side, make a part from one of the rollers uptop down to your ear. Comb the hair closet to your hairline forward, the hair behind it you want to roll that hair.

This hair, you will roll at an angle. If your on the right side of your hair, kind of roll at an 200 degree angle. In this section, you should have no more than 3 rollers, 4 max.

The hair closet to the hair line you want to roll straight down. You should use 2 rollers for this, no more than 3 to obtain bouncy hair. If you have a short hairline and find that you cannot put strays onto roller, use a smaller size roller and roll forward. Repeat this process on opposite side.

Once you've complete this procedure tie a net scarf to keep rollers in place and to avoid any from dropping. YOu can either sit under your hood dryer or air dry.

*Please note, the rollers does not have to fell tight to your scalp, as it is the technique and art of rolling that will allow for bouncy straight hair.

I really hope this helps.

P.S. I use Grey size Rollers

caramelbarbie

<font color="blue">What a great post! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Thanks BRH you saved me a lot of time searching.I'm going to try it next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zgirl

was your hair always that long?
it looks great, I would like for my hair to grow about that lenght
what do you do to take care of it?

Growing up as a kid with braids, my hair has always been approx shoulder blade in length. I took a big chop approx 7 years ago ish to above my ears and then grew it out, twice wearing weaves,cutting off dead perm and then relaxing. (Before i use to wear curly perm /images/graemlins/crazy.gif cringe....).

Like alot of girls on this board, I rollarset twice a week, deep conditioning with every wash. I dry the hair using one of those soft bonnets that you attach the nose of a hairdryer. The best thing I did for my hair was ditching the weekly blowdrying followed by curling iron routine that was killing my hair /images/graemlins/whip.gif

I use a lye Affirm relaxer in mild every other month. I used to use regular but the mild does just as good a job.

Supps wise, since the summer I've been taking biotin, powdered MSM, and an iron supp (I'm deficient in this). More recently I've added B5 for hair thickness and a multi by Centrum (the A-Z) one. I've also just started drinking a protein shake approx 3 x a week.

What's your regime?

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(Before i use to wear curly perm cringe

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey BRH,

I'll cringe with you; I used to wear one too! /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

Julia

brownrelaxedhair,

I notice that you use Joico and Nexxus Humectress. What is your experience with these products? Are they worth me spending money on?

/images/graemlins/rofl.gifThanks

well I've not used the joico in ages. That's the K-Pac reconstructor. I'll prolly start using that again one of these day. From what I recall though, its not good enough to justify the price. I certainly wouldn't re-purchase it.

The Hummectress is okay. I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Nothing amazing. I have a large bottle of it and so am just going to keep using it till its finished. I doubt I'd re-purchase.

For good alternative moisturizing conditioners, I really like Mizani Moisturefuse and Motions Moisture Plus. Sometimes Le Kair Cholestrol is nice too. I also find adding a touch of virgin olive oil to conditioners makes a big moisture difference but this an optional step of course. I like that step though because my hair is like a sponge /images/graemlins/fat.gif and really needs a heavyweight moisturizing conditioner. For example, The Daily Moisture Renewal by Pantene doesn't leave my hair feeling very moisturized and I know alot of girls here love it!!

L

legs71

/images/graemlins/Flahssssss.gif

BRH, I have to say I absolutely love your hair and the length is perfect. My initial goal was brastrap length, but after viewing your pictures I think your length would be perfect for me. When are you going to post more pics of your hair?

Thanks for the compliment! I try doing pics each time I have a touch up to see any growth progress, like the ones in the album, 2 are pics taken the same day of a touch up at different salons. (The November pic was taken after Josephs which is where I think the relaxer didn't 'take').

The next pic will prolly be when I have my next touch up which I"m hoping will be at some point next week. I'm pestering my hairdresser to let me have mine done soon /images/graemlins/orders.gif, she's inundated right now with appts but knows I'm waiting.