Anyone Exploring Roller Setting Patterns

BlackHairDiva

Hello ladies,

I have been roller setting my hair for over a decade. The pattern that I learned was the mohawk. Lately, I have been thinking, there has got to be more to this. I am now looking at classic hair patterns. I'm also realizing That my roller setting pattern can work with my curling iron too. Therefore, I'm even more curious of exploring other patterns to try.

Are any of you exploring roller setting patterns? I love to use them because whether I roller set or simply use a curler the rule applies. If so, do share your roller setting patterns.

Does of you who do roller set:

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair?
2) What type/size rollers will you be using?
3) What products will you be using for your set? At this time I use Therma silk Keratin Spray
4) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?

So far I have tried the roller setting patterns below.

1691877502537.png

1691876672811.png1691876680513.png

1691876774849.png

Last edited:

BlackHairDiva

I forgot to answer my own questions.

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? Once a week
2) What type/size rollers will you be using?
Tension rollers
3) What products will you be using for your set? At this time I use Therma silk Keratin Spray
4) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Pibbs Kwik Dry

BlackHairDiva

Interesting. We're talking about roller setting like they might do at a salon to style hair or roller setting overnight at home to maintain curls without heat?
Yes, like you would do in a salon to style the hair. During the week, I imagine that you would keep your nightly roller set in the same pattern.

The patterns show you what way to curl to do the style. I have never gone heatless roller setting. I have roller setted on low heat and cold setting under the dryer.

For quick restyling on low heat, I'm also exploring the Tyme flat iron.

1691884335216.png

LushLox

What a fabulous thread, so thoughtful and interesting :love:

I am a die hard roller setter, I spent years and years doing it, I think it's the roller setting that helped my retention. I'm not as diligent with it these days though.

It's interesting that you talk about roller setting patterns because like you, when I curl with a curling iron I follow the same pattern that I do with my roller placement. I also use jumbo foam rollers which gives me a very similar effect to magnetic rollers and I follow the same placement pattern. Admittedly though I haven't considered changing the pattern as what I do just works. But I would be interested in reading other people's thoughts on this.

Back in the day I used to do a lot of 40s hair styles so I would do the whole pin curling and brushing out but it's a lot of manipulation and it doesn't work as well now that my hair is longer.

I often use a form of rollercurls as a base and use it as a way to give me more styling options. Typically I like pinning my hair on the side and adding in a bow or something and then have the curls fan out at the side.

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? It's going to vary, monthly or bi weekly
2) What type/size rollers will you be using? Grey magnetic rollers, silk flexi roads, jumbo foam rollers
3) What products will you be using for your set? Leave in, Virtue Purifying (or any good leave I have on hand), Lottabody Foam Wrap)
4) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?
Dryer, a cheap portable one that I sit under

LushLox

So so gorgeous @BlackHairDiva I wonder if I could recreate it :scratchchin: Can't do it right now anyway as I won't be using heat for a while.

It's a fabulous style though, and I will attempt it when I can.

yamilee21

So so gorgeous @BlackHairDiva I wonder if I could recreate it :scratchchin: Can't do it right now anyway as I won't be using heat for a while.

It's a fabulous style though, and I will attempt it when I can.
I am very lazy about roller-setting, but for what it's worth, as long as I roller-set on a day I don't have to leave the house, I will just leave the rollers in all day instead of sitting under the dryer. I know LHCF has something against sponge/foam rollers, but I roller-set with those too, and just leave them in 24-36 hours. I get the same results using sponge/foam rollers as I do using the hard plastic rollers under the dryer.

LushLox

I am very lazy about roller-setting, but for what it's worth, as long as I roller-set on a day I don't have to leave the house, I will just leave the rollers in all day instead of sitting under the dryer. I know LHCF has something against sponge/foam rollers, but I roller-set with those too, and just leave them in 24-36 hours. I get the same results using sponge/foam rollers as I do using the hard plastic rollers under the dryer.

Oh I don't care about alladat. :lol: I use sponge rollers too, they haven't done me any harm; I don't use them regularly enough to get any breakage from it. Any type of roller you can think of, I probably have it. The only ones I never got my hands on were the bouffant rollers!

I use the Conair Jumbo Foam rollers - they give me a fabulous set, I do this if I don't have time for drying with magnetic rollers or just can't be bothered.

Although these are awesome, I still prefer the result of the magnetic rollers.

1693492136354.png